WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Kings Mountain National Park hike is historically interesting and worth the visit. The 'trail' is a paved sidewalk; didn't like that. The State Park is across the road and probably has dirt trails.

-Bolo

Quote Originally Posted by Bolo View Post
    Kings Mountain National Park hike is historically interesting and worth the visit. The 'trail' is a paved sidewalk; didn't like that. The State Park is across the road and probably has dirt trails.

-Bolo
    Thanks for saving me the gas on driving up there only to find paved trails

What part of SC are you in?

Section Hiking Knucklehead Hooch's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Bolo View Post

-Bolo
    Quote Originally Posted by DesertMTB View Post
    Thanks for saving me the gas on driving up there only to find paved trails

What part of SC are you in?
    Ditto! Thanks!
    "If you play a Nicleback song backwards, you'll hear messages from the devil. Even worse, if you play it forward, you'll hear Nickleback." - Dave Grohl

Images

The National Military Park has a shortish paved loop trail, but it also has some more backcountry trails. They are not nearly as steep as at Crowders, but there are some pretty walks. From the Military Park parking lot out and back to Browns Mtn. is two/three hours of moderate hiking, if memory serves. Some trails connect all the way over to the state park, and you can run up the mileage that way. There's even a backcountry campsite (no amenities) in the Military Park. I used to go there to try out new gear.
    If not NOW, then WHEN?

ME>GA 2006
    http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?trailname=3277

Instagram hiking photos: five.leafed.clover

In addition to the paved trail, there is a 15-mile loop trail that runs through both the Kings Mountain Military Park and Kings Mountain State Park. Both parks are located in South Carolina, just across the state line. There is one designated camping area along this trail that is large enough for 3 or 4 groups. If you like hikes through rolling hills of hardwood forests, then I highly recommend it. If you want to hike 2 small mountains then go to Crowders Mountain State Park and hike Crowders and Kings Pinnacle.

North and South Carolina are working together to connect Kings Mountain State Park in South Carolina with Crowders Mountain State Park in North Carolina. I think I heard this trail will be approx. 15-miles long. The combined trails will be approx. 45-miles long. Lots of scout troops and other volunteers are working hard to make this happen. However, I am not sure who is coordinating the project.

Another great place to walk/hike near Charlotte is the Anne Springs Close Greenway in Fort Mill, SC (20 minutes from uptown Charlotte). The greenway has almost 50 miles of hiking, biking and horse trails. There are 8 to 10 walk-in campsites on a lake. There is a small daily use fee for non-residents.

Morrow Mountain in the east is pretty cool.

My grandfather was part of the CCC that helped build the park in the 1930's and I learned to swim in the park's pool in the early 1970's. It's an easy 30 to 45 minute drive from the track. Lots of deer and rattle snakes in the area. Take your swimsuit.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++