Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default I'm so new, it's laughable! But I'm doing it anyway! *Help!*

Hi! I'm totally new... to almost everything but day hikes. I hiked quite a bit in Utah and Arizona but haven't been very active at all in the past 6 years.

Now, I'm joining my husband and his 4 friends on a weekend backpacking trip. My husband is pretty new, so we are learning together. However, I'm turning to you, my fellow females, for advice.

I've got the basics. I'm borrowing my brother-in-law's pack and I've got my pack weight in about 16lbs. This includes my pack, my hammock, tarp, pad, clothes, medical sack, personal sack, food and water. Without getting into the nitty gritty, i've got the basics down I believe. I'm going to be the only girl and I really want to just carry my weight and make sure I have my bases covered.

What I'm really concerned about are the "gotchas", the things that 1)my hubby won't think about because well, he's a guy and 2)things that only experienced female hikers have learned through.. well, experience!

If you could offer me one piece of advice for a 2 night 3 day trip, what would it be?

Images

You can drastically shorten the time of "exposure" while peeing by wearing either a hiking skirt or very loose-legged/stretchy shorts. (It's like peeing while wearing a one-piece swimsuit.) It's also worthwhile to make sure said shorts don't show moisture.

I keep a travel packet of tissues, a travel size of Purell, and a tube of lip balm in either my pack waist pouch, my shorts pocket, or my jacket pocket, so they're always at hand.

Have a great time!
    If not NOW, then WHEN?

ME>GA 2006
    http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?trailname=3277

Instagram hiking photos: five.leafed.clover

Take along some unscented baby wipes for a "bath" at the end of the day. Some stores sell the little handy travel packs. You only need maybe one or two per "bath".

If you think you might have trouble sleeping outside, take along some earplugs. Benadryl also works wonders to help with night air sniffles and to make you sleep more soundly.

Have a great time! Post a trip report!!
    Some people take the straight and narrow. Others the road less traveled. I just cut through the woods.

Instead of toilet paper for wiping after urinating, which needs to be packed out, consider using a 'pee rag'. This can be a bandana or a piece cut from a camp towel. You can keep it folded in your pocket and fold the moisture into the inside after using. It will soon dry in your pocket and can be re-used. Wash out in a small bowl or ziplock bag at the end of the day (away from water sources).

Alternate, take a sturdy freezer zip lock to pack out the used T.P.

Registered User Frolicking Dinosaurs's Avatar
    Images

I use Huggies Shea Butter baby washcloths - the dry kind that you add water to for use - to bathe. This also has a moisturizer to keep my dino hide soft.

Always check where you squat for poison ivy (I learned that the hard way )

Keep your head and feet warm and everything else stays warmer.

Always take at least two tampons along - even if it isn't time for your period.

Great advice so far. Nothing really to add female specific, but wanted to say welcome to Backpacking!

Images

Hiking women are sensible.

I agree with everyone, my strongest suggestion is the ear plugs. I've hiked with men before. Most men snore. If 5 of them are snoring, you sure won't sleep!

Definitely wipes for bathing - and FD- those dry wipes sound great. There's also a camping towel that's available everywhere, even at Walmart, Target, Sears, Dicks - it dries quick, you can hang it off the back of your pack, made of rayon and you can also use this for any type of sanitation-wash and dry it! It's cheap too.

Hiking skirt definitely a plus so you can go quicker, easier.

Most importantly, make sure you hike and enjoy yourself. 5 men eh?

Quote Originally Posted by StarLyte View Post
    There's also a camping towel that's available everywhere, even at Walmart, Target, Sears, Dicks - it dries quick, you can hang it off the back of your pack, made of rayon and you can also use this for any type of sanitation-wash and dry it! It's cheap too.
    Don't want to put it through a washer/dryer though. Hand wash and always hang dry. It gets horrible fuzzies and starts peeling if it goes through the machines. Pretty cheap though, so easy enough to replace if it happens!

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

Welcome to White Blaze. Looks like you got things pretty well under cotrol. Just give yourself a place away from the campsite to do womanly things. Like changing, etc. esp since you are in a hammock. I had to do that when I was helping lead a Boy Scout troop backpacking with my hubby - sneak off to change out of sweaty hiking clothes when they were engaged in something else.

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

Hi,

Look into the "pee funnel" topic (posted further down the list here). Some ladies here may scoff but there are good pros and cons on the subject so you can decide for yourself.

I will now take outside vs the smelly outhouse at the start of the trail.
    Don't think I would have done this before.

There is a spray hand sanitizer that I consider great. Sadly I think it is a very cheap little spray bottle. I got a tiny spray bottle and am considering diy.
    I think that regular sanitizer would need a bit of alcohol mixed in as it is normally a gel. It would also work nicely as a fire starter! :-)

--des

Thanks for all the input!! I definitely will be bringing some baby wipes (I'll just swipe them from my kid!) and the purell. And now that I think of it, the ear plugs are an awesome idea!! I'm not sure if I can do the hiking skirt just yet, I have this wicked problem with my thighs rubbing and I'm certain after a day of hiking I would be in so much pain I may just offer up my thighs for dinner.

thank you all for such wonderful advice!

Does anyone have a food preference? I'm taking Inertia packs and I found a freezerbag cooking site, but does anyone have a "can't leave home without" food?

Slowest Hiker On Earth

Beef Jerky. I never tried it until my last hike and it's one of my faves now. I get so tired of eating the typical bars, and carby stuff. It's a nice switch.
    And of course fig newtons

I don't do fig newtons LOL Call me crazy but I think I'm the only person on earth who doesn't like them - although I like most other fruit bar type things.
    My husband makes some killer beef jerky, I didn't even think of that! Duh! I'm going to persuade him to make me a batch.

Images

I don't like Fig Newtons either. My husband loves them, though. We both like Oreos, so we take a sleeve of those per day. A recent craze is summer sausage. We take one for every two-day trip. And a sleeve of crackers per day.
    If not NOW, then WHEN?

ME>GA 2006
    http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?trailname=3277

Instagram hiking photos: five.leafed.clover

Registered User Frolicking Dinosaurs's Avatar
    Images

Since you are somewhat new to hiking, I'm going to mention some of the staples that work on the trail. Instead of regular bread try tortillas, pita, dense pumpernickel and rye; peanut butter (small plastic jar); olive oil instead of butter (repack into plastic bottle); hard cheeses travel and keep well without refrigeration (in a baggie as they will 'sweat' oil); precooked bacon adds tons of flavor and needed calories; Nedo (a full-fat dried milk found in the Latino products section in the grocery and tasty enough to actually use)

Some of my favorites on the trail:
    Pasta covered with pesto (dried pesto mix available near spices) with diced pepperoni and dried Parmesan cheese
    Hot chocolate mix with double strength Nedo
    Blueberry pie for breakfast (Blueberry muffin mix cooked in a well oiled, tightly closed pan - will not be brown on top, but will be very tasty)

Quote Originally Posted by TattyBoBatty View Post
    Does anyone have a food preference? I'm taking Inertia packs and I found a freezerbag cooking site, but does anyone have a "can't leave home without" food?
    My "can't leave home without it " included Folgers coffee bags . As far as other things...I use thin panty liners so I can make one pair of panites last several days. Just bring a zip lock for TP and liners. I use to hike with the scouts as the only women . I used my hat or bandana tied or hung on a branch to indicate that I "was in the ladies room" and do not enter. have fun.

Quote Originally Posted by TattyBoBatty View Post
    I don't do fig newtons LOL Call me crazy but I think I'm the only person on earth who doesn't like them - although I like most other fruit bar type things.
    My husband makes some killer beef jerky, I didn't even think of that! Duh! I'm going to persuade him to make me a batch.
    Cracker Barrell makes small foil wrapped cheese that holds up great on the trail and goes great with the jerky.

Quote Originally Posted by Frolicking Dinosaurs View Post
    Since you are somewhat new to hiking, I'm going to mention some of the staples that work on the trail. Instead of regular bread try tortillas, pita, dense pumpernickel and rye; peanut butter (small plastic jar); olive oil instead of butter (repack into plastic bottle); hard cheeses travel and keep well without refrigeration (in a baggie as they will 'sweat' oil); precooked bacon adds tons of flavor and needed calories; Nedo (a full-fat dried milk found in the Latino products section in the grocery and tasty enough to actually use)

)
    Jiff makes very small cups of peanut butter called "Jiff to go" they pack well and are very light.

One Small Section at a Time Frau's Avatar
    Images

BUG SPRAY!!! I never leave home without it, a bandana and tp.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++