WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default most puncture proof 3/4 length inflatable?

after trying to pack my tent into my pack i realized i cant have both a big tent and a CCF pad (unless i carry it on the outside of my pack which i dont want to), so whats the most puncture proof inflatable out there? 3/4 length is strongly preferred but id settle for a torso pad

thanks

ill throw in the only one i know of - small size thermarest toughskin...opinions?

Just a thought...Maybe if you can not get a tent and a thermarest into your backpack...you might be carrying too much stuff?

Lots of people will disagree with this statemnet but it is something that I learned long ago. If what you have is important to you, don't leave it on the outside of your pack. I've picked up stoves, sleeping bags, tents, parts and pieces off the trail, generally around blow downs. When things fall off your pack you are very unlikely to see or feel them come off.

Just my two cents.

SweeAss
    SweetAss

Images

Big agnes packs down real small and is probably the most comfortable pad going, but may not be as puncture resistant as you want. I would imagine the original or insulated is more puncture resistant than the new UL clear one.
    "That's the thing about possum innards - they's just as good the second day." - Jed Clampett

Registered User Frolicking Dinosaurs's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by anarky321 View Post
    ill throw in the only one i know of - small size thermarest toughskin...opinions?
    This 3/4 pad weighs over 2 lbs. I doubt anyone here carries that.

He-Dino uses the Thermarest Prolite 3 regular. Here is a link to the short version.

Quote Originally Posted by SweetAss03 View Post
    Just a thought...Maybe if you can not get a tent and a thermarest into your backpack...you might be carrying too much stuff?
    well first of all i dont have a thermarest you misunderstood i think

anyways what i have right now is a home-made z-rest (blue walmart CCF + black duct tape) which is 3/4 length and really light but takes up alot of space (at least as much as a small z-rest i think); i have a volume issue not a weight issue

anyways i figured out how to strap it on horizontally in the middle of the pack; it fits nicely because my pack has a folding top kind of design and it fits nicely under that and just buckles in place; until i find something better i guess this is the way i have to go...volume problem solved for now

how are you packing your tent? rolled, folded, stuffed?

well i fold it in half then in half again then roll it up and try to stuff it in the stuffsack (a long and arduous process); for a tent that size and especially considering it has those thick air bladders it folds pretty small

anyways after trying it out with the CCF outside the pack it works great so ill stick to that...no space issues in the pack anymore after i took the pad out (it took up at least 1/3 of the space and made the tent hard to put in)

Full length ridgerest or evazote (lighter) and carry a prolite 3 thermarest folded in half lengthwise, then rolled and stowed inside your pack.

Quote Originally Posted by anarky321 View Post
    well i fold it in half then in half again then roll it up and try to stuff it in the stuffsack (a long and arduous process); for a tent that size and especially considering it has those thick air bladders it folds pretty small

anyways after trying it out with the CCF outside the pack it works great so ill stick to that...no space issues in the pack anymore after i took the pad out (it took up at least 1/3 of the space and made the tent hard to put in)
    try just jamming that thing in the sack, folding and rolling take too long and too much space.

Have you tried lining your pack with the ccf pad and then stuffing everything else into it? It beats trying to stuff a log of foam (the rolled pad) into the pack.
    As I live, declares the Lord God, I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that the wicked turn back from his way and live. Ezekiel 33:11

no my pack isnt wide enough for that and yea i did try it several times; the way i cut the ccf into sections, they are too wide to fit in 2-sections lengthwise and 1 widthwise...if i planned it in advance i might have gone that route, but that would still leave too little space inside the pack (its narrow-ish)

ive been looking at the ToughSkin short version and i think that would be a good purchase...and alot more comfortable than my 3/8" CCF

Hike the AT you will.

I haven't used my new insulated air core (big agnes) in the field yet, but I can tell its as tough as my thermarest. definitely.

plus you could use it to raft down a river if you needed to.

big agnes insulated air core packraft.

Do what I am doing.. Get a Big Agnes Clearview and then buy a Therm a rest Z-lite seat to sit on if you want something to sit on at camp. Just a thought... oh, the Big Agnes is around 15 oz so it is probably about the same weight as your pad now.
    "People are like steamboats, they toot loudest when they are in a fog" - Mark Twain

++ New Posts ++