WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default January 2010 Thru Hike

Morning everyone:

I'm thinking of attempting to thru hike the AT south to north leaving on January 1, 2010. I graduate from college in December 2009 and I have a few months between the time I graduate and when I will start work. This will probably be one of my best chances over my life to complete the hike in full.

Is there anything terribly wrong by leaving in January? I realize that I will end up experiencing the winter more so than if I leave in March. However, most of my camping and hiking experience has been in the winter. Any comments or suggestions on leaving in January?

Thanks

only thing i can think of is baxter park still being closed when you arrive my advice give yrouself atleast six months as you are more liketly to need 0 days ( trail conditions , high water levels ect ect) if you need a hiking buddy let me know captain will go after i do THIS year SOBO ( cuaseof the date i start) i want to do a traditional winter NOBO
    " YOU'RE MAD!" "... Thank goodness for that, Because if I wasn't this would probably never work." AT thru hiker advice from CAPN jack sparrow

Images

A few people start on Jan. 1 every year. Stumpknocker did this year.

http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?id=213941

As Captain said above, you might have a problem arriving in the north too early, if you hike fast. Other things winter hikers face are bad weather (obviously) and loneliness.

Here's another TJ from an early starter:

http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?id=165333
    If not NOW, then WHEN?

ME>GA 2006
    http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?trailname=3277

Instagram hiking photos: five.leafed.clover

People start in January every year, so sure, it can be done.

Keep in mind, tho, that you'll run into some sereiously poor weather that'll slow you down; cause you to take shortened days; will result in your taking unexopected time off in town, etc. You mentioned you have "a few months" between graduation and going to work......how many is " a few?" Unless you are in really good shape and plan to hike very fast, you'll need at least 4 months for your trip, and probably more. Tho it can certainly be done faster, most folks take 24-27 weeks for a complete thru-hike, and they are starting in March and April, when the weather is better, and not January.

Make sure you have enough time to have the trip you want. Hiking under time pressure every day is no fun at all.

At nearly seven months for the full hike, I may need to scale things back a bit. I'm now looking at completing half of the hike, GA to Harpers Ferry. Question, is it possible to only resupply once while hiking through VA? Could you hike from Damascus to Waynesboro before having to resupply? Or is that simply too far to travel?

waaay to far.

Quote Originally Posted by sofaking View Post
    waaay to far.
    too...goes up there /\

Images

Quote Originally Posted by southernpine85 View Post
    At nearly seven months for the full hike, I may need to scale things back a bit. I'm now looking at completing half of the hike, GA to Harpers Ferry. Question, is it possible to only resupply once while hiking through VA? Could you hike from Damascus to Waynesboro before having to resupply? Or is that simply too far to travel?
    For a fella your age, you're probably going to need to consume 5,000 calories/day to avoid losing a lot of weight. An interesting exercise for you to try ahead of time is to put together several bags of 5,000 calories worth of food, and see how much it weighs and how big it is. Then ask yourself how many days' worth of food you are going to want to carry.

A fellow I hiked with for a while in '06 had resupply boxes shipped to himself about 19-21 days apart. His pack was extremely heavy, and he lost 55+ pounds while hiking. But it worked for him, budget-wise, and he had the body weight to lose.

It's one of those personal choices you have to make, where you look at the alternatives in light of your personal priorities. You've got quite a bit of time between now and then--you can do a lot of pre-trip hiking and learn what you need to know to make informed decisions.
    If not NOW, then WHEN?

ME>GA 2006
    http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?trailname=3277

Instagram hiking photos: five.leafed.clover

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

If you're comfortable with the winter experience and like being alone, why not?

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

As in "dessert" not "desert"

There are serious expedition hikers who carry two or three weeks of food at a time without thinking twice about it. But that is a VERY heavy pack, and you increase risk of injury by carrying that sort of weight day in day out.

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by southernpine85 View Post

You can at least resupply in Daleville. The Kroger is just down the road.

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

++ New Posts ++