This is a very high-energy fried bread recipe that comes from the Inuit of the Canadian NWT. It is good, cheap, very, very tasty, fairly simple to make, stores for unbelievable lengths of time, did I say cheap?..I could go on and on. Quantities below are are large, but can be halved, quartered, etc., for smaller portions.

I watched an Inuit cook just throw handfuls and pinches of the ingredients together, no apparent measuring, and the result was great every time, almost habit-forming in fact. They have a saying, "Bannock and lard, make Indian hard"; it is a hard and harsh environment they live in-they are not even at the top of the food chain- and the lard supplies their bodies with replenishment calories for the vast quantities expended just staying warm...and a thruhiker requires vast caloric quantities just to maintain weight...Hmmmmmm...

Barry Taylor’s fry pan bread: 2 c flour, 1 tsp salt, 2 tsp baking powder, ½ c dried milk, 1 tsp sugar, 1 c warm water. Mix together to make thick dough that isn’t sticky. Roll into ½” thick circle; cut into wedges, fry in hot (not smoking) oil until golden brown both sides

Barry Taylor’s Bannock bread: 2 c flour, 4 tsp baking powder, 1 tsp salt, ½ c shortening, ½ c water. Mix, cut in shortening, flour & knead for 15 min. grease bottom of 10” cast iron fry pan, press in dough & cook uncovered over low heat for 10 min each side. Watch to make sure sides don’t burn before center is cooked thoroughly.

Now a way has to be found to cook it in our thin pots we use!