WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Default Meeting "Characters" on the trail

We think of hikers as people who have a destination in mind, or at least motivation to move on. Occasionally we meet people who seem to just appear, and are not in the hiking mainstream. I remember meeting a frail-looking young man who was wrapped in a ragged poncho and was carrying a large roll of plastic. When I said good morning to him, he responded by asking me if I knew Jesus. I'm wondering how many other WhiteBlaze members have met someone "different" on the trail.

Default Malice and Kentucky

Some of my favorites were 'Malice and Kentucy' brothers who smoked dope all, and I mean ALL day long. They were section hiking and Kentucky was getting tattoos to mark each state. In fact Malice says something like "Meeting characters, that's what the whole AT is all about" He KNEW he was a character.

Also, when we were doing our documentary, we heard about Art the Pilot who was the co-pilot whose plane skidded off the runway. Passanger: Sandra Bullock. There was also Michael, with an 80lb pack with all sorts of musical gear. We never found either of them, though we tried.

Cameraman, 2000 Miles to Maine

Cool

I could write a book just on the "characters" I've met in 16,000 + miles of hiking on the AT. Maybe I will.

Default Characters

Did any of you oldtimers meet "the Queen of England," who appeared on the trail for several years?

Yup. Several times at Fullhardt Knob shelter. Wonderful lady.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Brushy Sage
    Did any of you oldtimers meet "the Queen of England," who appeared on the trail for several years?
    Yup. I lent her a safety pin in 1993 to seal a hole in her tent after she was startled by a rattlesnake sunning itself at the entrance of the privy. She brewed me a cup of tea.

She explained she lived on the trail to escape harassment from the CIA, which struck me as a perfectly good reason for hiking.

Weary

Images

Default goat

This is less of a someONE than a someTHING, but a couple miles outside Pearisburg I looked up and saw a goat standing right on the the trail in front of me...seemed a bit out of place to me. I would expect a deer, maybe a bear, but a goat?!? Anyway, it just stood there and looked at me, i had to hike around it(it had horns so I didn't take any chances).

A couple years back there were 3 goats up on Sinking Creek Mtn. that would lick your sweaty legs for the salt.

Default Characters

In 2002 there was a hiker who signed as "Malice in Wonderland," and I understand he was removed by the authorities after some illegal behavior.

Default Goats

Quote Originally Posted by L. Wolf
    A couple years back there were 3 goats up on Sinking Creek Mtn. that would lick your sweaty legs for the salt.

Not sure where that is, but in 2001 there were some goats shortly before Catabwa that would do the same. One person put down their hiking pole, and the goat tried to run away with it (all the yummy salt in the wrist strap).

Gravity Man

Probably the same goats. Sinking Creek Mtn is about 25 miles before Catawba.

Section Hiker - 339.8 miles - I'm gettin' there! papa john's Avatar
    Images

There was a guy who was hiking in 2000 that did not have use of one of his arms. Can't remember which, doesn't really matter, but the first time I met this guy I disliked him right off. He was a know-it-all and had-done-it-all. I spent a few hours at Muskrat Creek Shelter with him while we were taking a lunch break and once I got to know him a little better I could tolerate him a lot more. Seeing what he had to go through trying to do even the most trivial of tasks (like tying your boots) with one hand was sobering.

Wish I could remember his trail name. Turned out to be an OK guy once you got past all the BS.

In 2000 I met Walking Wounded at Walasi-Yi. We watched her dog while she took a shower. She was an older lady and said her kids wanted to put her in a nursing home so she took off for the trail instead. Sure beats a nursing home. I hope if I get old and strange that I can remember to hit the trail before my kids put me in a home.

Images

I passed Walking Wounded just before Justus Creek. I wonder how far she made it?

Quote Originally Posted by papa john
    I passed Walking Wounded just before Justus Creek. I wonder how far she made it?

I saw her camped by Justus Creek. We chatted for about 20 minutes. She asked me to camp with her, but I was trying to make Gooch Gap. Her dog's name was Bibble.

She got a shuttle out of Franklin with a few of us. Said her dog was a "hearing ear dog" and she had a pass/permission to hike thru the Smokys with the dog.

Images

Thumbs down malice in wonderland

I vividly remember "Malice in Wonderland" in 2002 hurling rocks at Cable Gap Shelter while several of us were trying to sleep. I think we all slept with our hiking poles at our sides that night...Happy to hear the authorities finally got a hold of him.

Quote Originally Posted by Brushy Sage
    In 2002 there was a hiker who signed as "Malice in Wonderland," and I understand he was removed by the authorities after some illegal behavior.

Images

I saw her camped by Justus Creek
    Where did you stay that night? I was at Gooch Gap across the road by the trail to the creek.

Journal Entries
    Images

In Sept 1999. I met a character that went by the name Wyoming Skateboarder. He did a thru-hike carrying a pack that weighed about 60 lbs. I am not kidding I picked up his pack. He carried a rambo knife, can of bear mace about the size of a gatorade bottle and also carried a blue tarp. that kind you get a the discount stores. He put the tarp over his tent every night I saw him. One night hs slept in the shelter and slept on top of the blue tarp and it crinkled and made noise all night. But nothing compared to his snoring. Oh yes and we can not forget the plastic oar he carried the whole trip. It was the kind you get with the rubber raft at places like Walmart.

I am sure if any of you met this guy you would never forget him.

I met Baltimore Jack that year too. But that is a different story. Just kidding Jack. But I am sure you remember Wyoming Skateboarder.
    AT Troll (2010)
    Time does not wait for you, it keeps on rolling.

Whiteblaze.net User Agreement.

Dude on a surf board

Quote Originally Posted by L. Wolf
    I could write a book just on the "characters" I've met in 16,000 + miles of hiking on the AT. Maybe I will.
    Tell us more. The top ten, at least.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++