WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Images

Question Is this dumb or not

I had a hiker make a suggestion a couple of years back and at the time it passed through my mind and then again back earlier in the year it was mentioned again by another hiker.As I thought about it I want some honest opinions.

I have had the opportunity to meet thousands of hikers each year and get to know many of you.But there are many who hike over and over and truthfully are a household name.I know you aren't celebrities in Hollywood,Broadway and so on,but to AT Enthusiest you are famous and a hero with your trail knowledge,help,experence,and smiles.I get a chance to see newby hikers get to meet veteren hikers that they have heard so many stories about and a glo in their heart.This idea I am presenting to you puts a face to the stories they have heard of these trail celebrities before they get a chance to meet each other.

The suggestions and thought was for me to Put a 18X20 signed picture in each of my motel rooms dedicating that room to a trail celebrity.I could display more than 40 different ones.Most of the ones I am speaking of I have had stay in one of our motels at some time in the past anyway.

If you think it is dumb I can take critisism,but if you think it is a good idea and even ones to suggest.Post it.I will be at Damascus Fri night where I know at least a dozen will be that I would pick.I will have my camera also I would want them to agree with me posting their picture also.

If you think it is a good idea. . . it is. And I happen too, because you thought it. Hoping to meet you soon.
    W

...your worst nightmare!
    Journal Entries
    Images

Talking

Would you keep Baltimore Jack and Warren Doyle separated?

Images

Quote Originally Posted by camojack View Post
    Would you keep Baltimore Jack and Warren Doyle separated?
    I would like to have them both but I'm afraid if I put both their pictures in the same room it may start a fire.

...your worst nightmare!
    Journal Entries
    Images

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Haven View Post
    I woul like to have them both but I'm afraid if I put both their pictures in the same room it may start a fire.
    Indeed...

Section Hiking Knucklehead Hooch's Avatar
    Images

Kinda of like an AT Walk of Fame? Interesting idea, I like it.
    "If you play a Nicleback song backwards, you'll hear messages from the devil. Even worse, if you play it forward, you'll hear Nickleback." - Dave Grohl

Images

You have my permission to use mine.

I say go for it. I know where you can get some homemade frames.
    I'm not really a hiker, I just play one on White Blaze.

Images

Don't forget, you are a trail legend, too. Gotta put your pics in the rooms, also.
    I'm not really a hiker, I just play one on White Blaze.

i think it's dumb. why would you want a picture of some dirty hiker staring at you in a hotel room? come to think of it, i've never seen any portrait in any hotel room...lot's of horrible landscapes, still-lifes, no portraits...there's probably a reason for this, but who cares...

Images

Talking

I would like to have them both but I'm afraid if I put both their pictures in the same room it may start a fire.
    In that case, hang 'em together in some fire-proof room.... say, a well-tiled toilet?!

RainMan

P.S. I do like your original idea, truly.
    [I]ye shall not pollute the land wherein ye are: ... Defile not therefore the land which ye shall inhabit....[/I]. Numbers 35

[url]www.MeetUp.com/NashvilleBackpacker[/url]

Great idea Ron.

Images

Neat, idea, but theres certain folks I just wouldnt want looking over me as I slept!
    ~If you cant do it with one bullet, dont do it at all.
    ~Well behaved women rarely make history.

Images

Who should get a room named in their honor? Who should be first? Who should get the best room? It would give us something else to argue about over the internet.

Seriously, It would add some uniqueness to your motels. Go with your instinct, its probably right.

The idea of making your motel a tribute to those hikers whom you have met and who have stayed at your motel sounds great to me. I would come there just to see your pictures and to hear your stories.

This might be a nice idea for your lobby also. Idea doesn't sound stupid it sounds cool. I'm down with it.

Glacier

I think it would be a better idea to just dedicate a wall somewhere in public view. That way people can see all of them, and there would be no complaints of having a picture of some hiker staring at them in their room all night.

1000+ miles down, 1000+ miles to go

Default a suggestion

Hope to visit your place next year, Ron. Not sure if this would work as I'm not familiar with your layout, but as for the pictures I would suggest you locate all of them in the hallways outside the corresponding rooms. Have BJ and WD staring across the hallway at each other.
    "When a man sits with a pretty girl for an hour, it seems like a minute.
    But let him sit on a hot stove for a minute--and it's longer than any hour.
    That's relativity." --Albert Einstein--

Images

With a short bio with each picture.

TW
    "Thank God! there is always a Land of Beyond, For us who are true to the trail..." --- Robert Service

The Omni Hotel in Jacksonville Fl. has the Elvis Suite. They have the Aerosmith room and a few others. I stayed in the Lenyrd Skynyard room. Sounds like a good idea to me. Sofaking can stay in the Baldthing laundry room

Clyde

Registered User Frolicking Dinosaurs's Avatar
    Images

Ron, I think it is wonderful idea. You could also have a "wall of fame' in each room by taking a pic of the hikers who stay in the room and putting their trail name and the class year on the pic. It would give a unique look to each room and encourage hikers to come stay with you. Corkboard squares would be ideal for such a project.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++