WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
    Stop-loss Soldier

Default Where do you work?

I can't find a better place to put this post than "General," where do you guys (the hiking type crowd) work?

The reason I ask, I'm a two-time deployed soldier getting ready to return as a free man. Free in the sense that I'll be done with the National Guard and ready to return to the normalicy of civilian life. I'll be hiking the trail in the Spring of '09, but till then I'll need a job. Thanks to them I don't have a degree, and every freaking job app. for working in a forest/conservation group wants one.

What to do?

Hay sarge... you should qualify for unemployment after your discharge.. take the money and hike

One Small Section at a Time Frau's Avatar
    Images

I teach, coach, and have a mobile dog grooming business. Teachging is IDEAL for the outdoor life. Around here the only non-degree/forestry type jobs are occupied by local folks who drive the dump trucks, mow and do other repairs. The NFS even contracts out road grading now, to a guy who comes from WV.

Nessmuk has done many things including as a ropes and wilderness course instructor for juvenile convicts (he had no degree, just lots of experience)--until he serverely broke his ankle. He went to nursing school and now can work wherever and whenever he likes. (He takes lots of 4 days weekend throughout the summer.) His choice: he is back at the juvenile correctional facilty in the medical dept. We are heading out for Trail Days here in a few hours.

If you have education benefits take some classes while preparing for your hike. You'll be that much closer to you dream job!

Frau

healthcare is a great choice

Quote Originally Posted by JayMosier View Post
    Hay sarge... you should qualify for unemployment after your discharge.. take the money and hike
    Unemployment and hiking at the same time no work must report every week in person

i just call in every two weeks and communicate with a machine hahaha and dont get on any moral high horse, unemployment compensation is an earned benefit, not a handout

Quote Originally Posted by oops56 View Post
    Unemployment and hiking at the same time no work must report every week in person
    I think that depends on where you live. Some states allow you to check in on-line.

Sarge, the Park Service received a spike in resources starting this year; it's all part of their upcoming 100 year anniversary. Have you looked into seasonal jobs?

Quote Originally Posted by Cookerhiker View Post

Sarge, the Park Service received a spike in resources starting this year; it's all part of their upcoming 100 year anniversary. Have you looked into seasonal jobs?
    I know the other Sarge around here has.

Section Hiking Knucklehead Hooch's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by SGT Hippie View Post
    ......where do you guys (the hiking type crowd) work?
    Quote Originally Posted by JayMosier View Post
    healthcare is a great choice
    Yes it is. I'm a former active duty Marine now working in the Trauma ICU at a Level I trauma center as a registered nurse/registered respiratory therapist. Life is good.
    "If you play a Nicleback song backwards, you'll hear messages from the devil. Even worse, if you play it forward, you'll hear Nickleback." - Dave Grohl

Default Where do you work?

When I came home from Vietnam I went to college where I was as welcome as the plague. I married my ex-wife in my junior year. Then I re-enlisted.
    If I had it to do over, I would have taken a year to decompress...maybe hike the AT as I had almost done in 68. I still would have gone to college...when I was ready. I wouldn't have gotten married to that woman at that time. I was hell bent to jump start my life and my career so as to catch up to the slackers who didn't join up.
    If you've been in the **** be sure to take time for yourself. IMHO

Stop-loss Soldier

I just checked the USAJOBS.gov and found a temp Ranger job, though in the west. Maybe I'll just take the chance and see how it goes. (Crossing fingers with Veteran's Preference).

Any other ideas?

community college...

Hey Superman......thank you so much for your service. I feel for the Vietnam era vets returning home and being treated like crap -- that is so wrong on so many levels. I was in 5th grade in '75 and can remember how sadden I felt for our returning vets and the so called "welcome" they got. SGT Hippie, Hooch and others: didn't want to leave you out. KNOW we appreciate your service as well.

Registered User Frolicking Dinosaurs's Avatar
    Images

Since you are 24 yo and have your whole life ahead of you, I would suggest you ultimately look into training in a healthcare-related field because it is a growing field where jobs are not hard to find.

Until your 2009 hike, if you are unable to find other employment, try security-type work. Your recent weapons and tactical training will make you an attractive candidate to such companies. The downside to this is there is usually a dress code for such work and a fellow with moniker Sgt Hippie may not want to cut his hair to specs

Images

Hike and hang out for a year showing residence in one place (have someone cover utilities, etc. for you). Then get some cash job off the books and get a free ride to community college because you show no income. Pick a major that could enhance your vocation of choice. Buckle down and take as many classes as you can at once. I finished my associates degree from a community college in 1.5 years (including summer school) after I returned from the AF. It was easy compared to the AF and I ended up going on for more education. You probably should do it now and get it over with, or you may risk feeling this angst for the rest of your working life.

Happy hiking!

TTF

A fews year back I found myself once again an unemployed computer programmer. It was just after 911 and the so called tech bubble burst. I was able to get a $1000 grant for CNA training and my plan was to use that certification to goto work in a hospital that had an RN program. Those plans were put on hold when a job in Detroit just fell in my lap. I might have thumbed my nose at the idiots in the software world but at the time I had an onerous child support obligation. Fortunately that job allowed me to dispose of the obligation but I now find myself in the same boat but in much shallower waters.

I only earned 10/hr in the nursing home, it was hard work but absolutely one of the most fulfilling jobs I have ever had

I'm taking a hike to reevaluate my plans

BTW i too am a veteran but with no standing as my 4yrs in the AF were during the Carter administration, a period when relative calm and peace prevailed.

Quote Originally Posted by SGT Hippie View Post
    What to do?
    The way I see it, do something useful because the world already has too many paper pushers.

To name one thing you might not initially have thought of, water and wastewater system operators' jobs won't be exported to China and there will be growth in job opportunities as folks retire. It's not an easy job because you need a good head for figuring as well as the ability to do hard work both inside and outside and some plumbing/mechanical/electrical ability. Downside for backpacking is there's usually not much vacation time. So just a random thought.

one more ramble here.... I will never forget when I was in tech school at Sheppard AFB the iranians in pilot training sharing our dormitory and telling us airmen that we must respect them, we shoulda beat their asses

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++