WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast
    Section Hiker 500 miles smokymtnsteve's Avatar
    Images

come to Alaska, work on the riverboat Discovery for the season, help me build a cabin , you live in it for a year, pay no state income tax, get a PFD check, and AK residents are fixin to get a $100 a month energy debit card from the state. In FBKS there is no sales tax, and more jobs than people, and being a Sgt. Hippie would have NO bearing on your obtaining employment here.

Howdy oruoja, how's things down south?
    "I'd rather kill a man than a snake. Not because I love snakes or hate men. It is a question, rather, of proportion." Edward Abbey

Hey Smoky, looks like you are still living the life in AK! As you can see I have a little govt paid for excursion coming up, but I'll be hopefully doing the AT in 2013. Even have plans on moving our lattitude further south when my hitch is up and retired to get some more extended hiking weather.

hay smokie im there!!!

Images

Quote Originally Posted by superman View Post
    If you've been in the **** be sure to take time for yourself. IMHO
    Outstanding advice. My thru-hike did me plenty of good after little brush-fire deployments throughout the 90's in the Marine Corps.

Use your GI Bill. It's the best thing going as a veteran.

I teach. Summers, I've hiked my own hikes, and I've taught to backpack and climb as an instructor for the National Outdoor Leadership School. Those long breaks off are very rewarding, as is working with kids.

If you don't like kids, however, don't even consider teaching. 3 months off each year isn't worth making yourself and your students miserable.

If you want a job in forestry or the like, so to school and apply for every summer internship available. It will also be rewarding, and it's how you get the connections to make that leap into government work.

Best of luck, and hike on brother.
    If people spent less time being offended and more time actually living, we'd all be a whole lot happier!

i am a financial consultant for my parents.. i tell them how to spend thier money on me
    " YOU'RE MAD!" "... Thank goodness for that, Because if I wasn't this would probably never work." AT thru hiker advice from CAPN jack sparrow

Quote Originally Posted by smokymtnsteve View Post
    come to Alaska, work on the riverboat Discovery for the season, help me build a cabin , you live in it for a year, pay no state income tax, get a PFD check, and AK residents are fixin to get a $100 a month energy debit card from the state. In FBKS there is no sales tax, and more jobs than people, and being a Sgt. Hippie would have NO bearing on your obtaining employment here.

Howdy oruoja, how's things down south?

the vast bearing sea, in summer for fisherman nearly 800,000 square miles of pure hell , in winter nearly 800,000 square miles of FREEZING hell . but for those with a quick step and a staunch back the rewards can be big. the highs can certainly be high but the lows..are just plain devastating this season some boats will strike it big , while others just strike out the season is underway and captains have turned thier attention and their vessels to just one thing.. king crab, with tragedy always threatening to strike the fleet its a race to the finish in this modern day gold rush and this season will prove just why king crab is..the deadliest catch

BWOW im a cowboy on a steel horse i ride , im wanteeeed , dead or alive
    " YOU'RE MAD!" "... Thank goodness for that, Because if I wasn't this would probably never work." AT thru hiker advice from CAPN jack sparrow

Journal Entries
    Images

If you are interestedin working for TDCJ check out their web site. Do a search. TDCJ is Texas Dept of Criminal Justice. I have 15+ years in now and it is sure easy to get away to hike. Vacation time, comp time, then of course sick leave, overtime, and etc. the retirement is great. You can combine military service with the state time to figure retirement.
    "Something hidden. Go and find it. Go, and look behind the Ranges. Something lost behind the Ranges. Lost and waiting for you . . . Go!" (Rudyard Kipling)
    From SunnyWalker, SOBO CDT hiker starting June 2014.
    Please visit: SunnyWalker.Net

Take a year or two (or 3) and hike a few long distance trails. You'll have lots of time to think, meet free-spirited people and even work on your future.
    I did just that (16 years of hiking really) and worked on my guitar playing most everyday on my hikes. Now, i am a professional musician here in Thailand.

I highly recommend thinking for yourself and starting your own business. Especially if you find that you really Love to hike. Then the cubicle job or the computer job will only frustrate you.

My brother started a logging business with little to no experience and ended up marking timber for the FS back in the 70's.

Life is priorities.

Images

My wife drives a school bus. It gives her every weekend and school holiday off as well as all summer. No degree needed and the school bus company trained her to take the CDL test. And yes, when we do our summer section hikes we carry a cell phone so she can call in for her unemployment benefits.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Captain View Post
    i am a financial consultant for my parents.. i tell them how to spend thier money on me
    That's a growing business in this economy.

Go to Alaska. My ship just left Seward and it was REALLY tough for me to leave. The people are amazing and when I mentioned my job history I had job offers comming out my ears. If you head up there RIGHT NOW, almost any where you go in the south east of the state, you will have a job within hours of arriving. Most of the jobs also come with housing. You will be surrounded by the most pristine wilderness in the world and the money is GOOD! There are oportunities at lodges, hiking tour companies, kayak tour companies, sportfishing boats(this is the fun stuff, no Deadliest Catch here) service industry, you name it.

I'm going to retire from the Navy in just a few years and I already know I will spend at leat one or two summers in Seward, Alaska. One, it will give me time to separate myself from the rigors of 20 years in the military and two, it will line my pocket for a thru hike of the PCT with my Brother who is currently following his dream of hiking on the AT.(actually, right now he's at TD having a blast...)

Section Hiker 500 miles smokymtnsteve's Avatar
    Images

plus NO state Income TAX!
    "I'd rather kill a man than a snake. Not because I love snakes or hate men. It is a question, rather, of proportion." Edward Abbey

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

Yeah some guy who was hiking last year - Duckwalk - made a huge amt of money working on a boat in Alaska for a few months. Then in the middle of his hike he found out that they needed workers again, so he left the trail at Daleville, VA and went back to work on the boat. Hope he is able to get back on and finish.

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

Section Hiking Knucklehead Hooch's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Smudge View Post
    ......it will give me time to separate myself from the rigors of 20 years in the military......
    Military? I thought you said you're in the Navy?
    "If you play a Nicleback song backwards, you'll hear messages from the devil. Even worse, if you play it forward, you'll hear Nickleback." - Dave Grohl

Images

I am a Vice President with the Medical College of Georgia Healthcare system located in augusta georgia -home of the masters I have been in healthcare for approx 25 years and have been hiking the trail for the past 7 years

Images

At age 51 I'm back to school to finish my degree along with my MCSE(Microsoft Certified Systems Engineer) certification after working as an electrician/technician for 30 years in Power Generation, Steel, and Chemical Processing. I've injured my back three times in the past five years at work and cannot return to electrical work, so I'm merging my PLC, computer, and automation background with the lighter lifting requirements in the IT/management side of things. Kind of converting me slowly toward the UL hiking mentality as well.

Now all I have to do is finish school and find a job paying what I was making...
    "That's the thing about possum innards - they's just as good the second day." - Jed Clampett

:banana

hello i keep your tv,s on i work for lead service tech for a local cable tv company

I subsitute teach at public elementary schools. The kids are great, the teachers dedicated. Grossly underpaid but I have every summer off and can take off more whenever I feel the need, I just do not get paid for time off.

HEY NO PICKING ON THE NAVY. They have great chow halls and they take the Marines where the fighting is.

Section Hiking Knucklehead Hooch's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Bare Bear View Post
    HEY NO PICKING ON THE NAVY. They have great chow halls and they take the Marines where the fighting is.
    You know what NAVY stands for don't you? Never Again Volunteer Yourself.
    "If you play a Nicleback song backwards, you'll hear messages from the devil. Even worse, if you play it forward, you'll hear Nickleback." - Dave Grohl

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast
++ New Posts ++