WhiteBlaze Pages
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
$10 for printed copy(paperback). $6 for interactive PDF. $2 for printable PDF.
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 71
  1. #1
    Registered User Captain's Avatar
    Join Date
    02-24-2008
    Location
    Cincinnati
    Age
    37
    Posts
    653

    Exclamation the finer points of shelter etiquette

    as i understand it shelters have 15 basic yet mostly unspoken rules
    1. no dogs inside the shelter
    2. bring a tent in case shelter is full no matter how "alone" you think you will be
    3. no cooking inside the shelter
    4. if you plan to leave just before dawn,stay out of the shelter and tent off a bit so you dont wake people up when you go yourself
    5. first come first serve..period
    6. no fires unless in fire rings even then keep it small
    7. if you do sleep inside do not clutter your gear to keep other people out
    8. limit idle chit chat to those who actually want to idly chit chat back ( a guy stumbling in at8 o clock in the evening after a 35 mile day might not want to be deeply philosophical or gayly peppy)
    9. if you bring an mp3 or cd player make sure the volume is low enough on the ear phones were everyone else cant tell exactly what band/song your listening to
    10. if you want to leave food or something behind for other hikers to use also be prepared to abandon some form of hang sack and line and hang it before you go leaving a note in the shelter register that its there
    11. litterers and people who like to sing to thier mp3s or chat on cell phones will be thrown into a fire, if no fire is present the collection of everyone elses stoves on full blast will do
    12. if you leave mouse fodder you must also be comfertable with the snakes that hunt them crawling into your bag at night sharing it with you
    13. common sense is to be used at all times no exceptions
    14. ask people if its ok if you take pictures , do not assume jsut becuase they share your love of hiking they also share your love of having to take a picture every 5 minutes..at night..with flash ofcourse
    15. dont snivel all night complaining about the trail, noone forced you to do this, failing gear , weather, jobs ,family , life is to be somewhat expected but theres enough peolpe who want to just bulldoze the trail completly for parking lots and other junk, you are not doing us any favors by bad mouthing it,even after a 80 mile day straight uphill in the rain and sleet

    its probably unwise to say " unspoken" as a lot of people are VERY vocal about each of these but the OFFICIAL rules of the shelters are i believe limited to the usual " no fire except in established rings" " pack out everything you pack in " " make sure to use lime in the privy" and " bear bag all goodies as early in the evening as possible" these are simply the top 15 things i have come across that is guaranteed to piss off fellow hikers please post if you have another to add
    " YOU'RE MAD!" "... Thank goodness for that, Because if I wasn't this would probably never work." AT thru hiker advice from CAPN jack sparrow

  2. #2
    Registered User Captain's Avatar
    Join Date
    02-24-2008
    Location
    Cincinnati
    Age
    37
    Posts
    653

    Default

    and no spelling does not count don't want to hear about that thread title
    " YOU'RE MAD!" "... Thank goodness for that, Because if I wasn't this would probably never work." AT thru hiker advice from CAPN jack sparrow

  3. #3
    Registered User Peaks's Avatar
    Join Date
    09-04-2002
    Location
    Marlboro, MA
    Posts
    3,056

    Default

    I'd say don't leave food or other things behind at a shelter. Ultimately they will need to get packed out by someone.

  4. #4
    Section Hiking Knucklehead Hooch's Avatar
    Join Date
    03-26-2007
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Age
    53
    Posts
    3,948
    Images
    17

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Captain View Post
    and no spelling does not count don't want to hear about that thread title
    If you were a donating member you could edit that.
    "If you play a Nicleback song backwards, you'll hear messages from the devil. Even worse, if you play it forward, you'll hear Nickleback." - Dave Grohl

  5. #5
    Registered User Dances with Mice's Avatar
    Join Date
    05-20-2003
    Location
    North Georgia
    Posts
    3,974
    Images
    147

    Default

    16. If have any expectation that people will follow these rules, set up your tent.
    You never turned around to see the frowns
    On the jugglers and the clowns
    When they all did tricks for you.

  6. #6
    Registered User Captain's Avatar
    Join Date
    02-24-2008
    Location
    Cincinnati
    Age
    37
    Posts
    653

    Default

    well put dances
    " YOU'RE MAD!" "... Thank goodness for that, Because if I wasn't this would probably never work." AT thru hiker advice from CAPN jack sparrow

  7. #7
    Registered User
    Join Date
    09-11-2004
    Location
    Grafton, NH
    Age
    74
    Posts
    2,477

    Default

    I'm pleased to see this list. Even though I don't stay in shelters, I thought shelter etiquette was passé. When I hiked by them I thought they'd been converted to crack head, loud talking, telephone booths. ...and is that music they play?

  8. #8
    KirkMcquest KirkMcquest's Avatar
    Join Date
    12-13-2005
    Location
    The Adirondacks
    Age
    48
    Posts
    957

    Default

    Not sure I agree with rule #2. It's a good idea, but I don't think it can be a rule. Seems that If I were to bring a tent, why would I ever choose to sleep in a shelter with a bunch of strangers?
    I usually hike off 'peak' season and I enjoy doing away with the extra load of a tent. Never had a problem.
    Throwing pearls to swine.

  9. #9

    Default

    Earth-Shattering-Snorers – that sound like someone trying to start a chainsaw. It's my opinion that it's not okay for you to keep everyone awake all night with your snoring. You know who you are, get a tent and get in it every night so you're not bothering everyone else with your snoring.
    “Only two things are infinite; The universe and human stupidity,
    And I’m starting to wonder about the universe.”
    Albert Einstein

  10. #10
    Registered User
    Join Date
    06-10-2005
    Location
    Bedford, MA
    Posts
    12,678

    Default

    I don't dispute rule #5 but if you're going to post that one, then post this one also: there's always room for one more, in a storm. Etiquette doesn't mean arriving early and staking out an inordinate amount of room for yourself and your gear. It also means sharing, particularly so as conditions warrant. I'm not proposing hard rules -- just common sense and courtesy.

  11. #11

    Join Date
    08-07-2003
    Location
    Nashville, Tennessee
    Age
    70
    Posts
    6,120
    Images
    620

    Question

    Quote Originally Posted by veteran View Post
    Earth-Shattering-Snorers – that sound like someone trying to start a chainsaw. It's my opinion that it's not okay for you to keep everyone awake all night with your snoring. You know who you are, get a tent and get in it every night so you're not bothering everyone else with your snoring.
    Do you have the same rule for folks who smell bad? Hearing is one sense (which can be closed off easily). Smell is another sense (which can NOT be closed off).

    RainMan

    .
    [I]ye shall not pollute the land wherein ye are: ... Defile not therefore the land which ye shall inhabit....[/I]. Numbers 35

    [url]www.MeetUp.com/NashvilleBackpacker[/url]

    .

  12. #12
    KirkMcquest KirkMcquest's Avatar
    Join Date
    12-13-2005
    Location
    The Adirondacks
    Age
    48
    Posts
    957

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rain Man View Post
    Do you have the same rule for folks who smell bad? Hearing is one sense (which can be closed off easily). Smell is another sense (which can NOT be closed off).

    RainMan

    .
    Hmm. You could learn to breath through your mouth, which would solve both problems simultaneously.
    Throwing pearls to swine.

  13. #13

    Default

    mouth breathers...heh heh.

  14. #14
    Registered User Captain's Avatar
    Join Date
    02-24-2008
    Location
    Cincinnati
    Age
    37
    Posts
    653

    Default

    MISTER sofaking weve been expecting you...we...missed you..
    " YOU'RE MAD!" "... Thank goodness for that, Because if I wasn't this would probably never work." AT thru hiker advice from CAPN jack sparrow

  15. #15

    Default

    Weird things happen in shelters like you wake up because the woman who was sleeping next to you is lying halfway on top of you breathing in your face with bad breath or you realize that the male half of the nice older couple you're talking to when while getting ready to cook dinner is sitting there with no pants on. Or a young couple with fever and chills occupying the center of the space is coughing everywhere without covering their mouths. Best to tent.

  16. #16

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Captain View Post
    as i understand it shelters have 15 basic yet mostly unspoken rules
    1. no dogs inside the shelter
    2. bring a tent in case shelter is full no matter how "alone" you think you will be
    3. no cooking inside the shelter
    4. if you plan to leave just before dawn,stay out of the shelter and tent off a bit so you dont wake people up when you go yourself
    5. first come first serve..period
    6. no fires unless in fire rings even then keep it small
    7. if you do sleep inside do not clutter your gear to keep other people out
    8. limit idle chit chat to those who actually want to idly chit chat back ( a guy stumbling in at8 o clock in the evening after a 35 mile day might not want to be deeply philosophical or gayly peppy)
    9. if you bring an mp3 or cd player make sure the volume is low enough on the ear phones were everyone else cant tell exactly what band/song your listening to
    10. if you want to leave food or something behind for other hikers to use also be prepared to abandon some form of hang sack and line and hang it before you go leaving a note in the shelter register that its there
    11. litterers and people who like to sing to thier mp3s or chat on cell phones will be thrown into a fire, if no fire is present the collection of everyone elses stoves on full blast will do
    12. if you leave mouse fodder you must also be comfertable with the snakes that hunt them crawling into your bag at night sharing it with you
    13. common sense is to be used at all times no exceptions
    14. ask people if its ok if you take pictures , do not assume jsut becuase they share your love of hiking they also share your love of having to take a picture every 5 minutes..at night..with flash ofcourse
    15. dont snivel all night complaining about the trail, noone forced you to do this, failing gear , weather, jobs ,family , life is to be somewhat expected but theres enough peolpe who want to just bulldoze the trail completly for parking lots and other junk, you are not doing us any favors by bad mouthing it,even after a 80 mile day straight uphill in the rain and sleet
    its probably unwise to say " unspoken" as a lot of people are VERY vocal about each of these but the OFFICIAL rules of the shelters are i believe limited to the usual " no fire except in established rings" " pack out everything you pack in " " make sure to use lime in the privy" and " bear bag all goodies as early in the evening as possible" these are simply the top 15 things i have come across that is guaranteed to piss off fellow hikers please post if you have another to add
    #1 theres no problem with dogs in the shelter,if others have no objection(especially if the dog is well behaved) if the shelter starts to fill up yes i throw up my tent.(prefer to tent anyway)my dog had over 6,000 A.T. miles with no complaints #2 you should always have some form of shelter with you anyway(tent,tarp,etc...) #4 i always left before dawn,and was always very quiet(and very respectful of others) that was always my biggest problem with others.very loud and no respect of others i would be prepared the night before and grab my stuff and pack up away from the shelter. #10 never,never,never leave anything behind,that is littering. the rest of your list is good to go.

  17. #17

    Default

    Don't ask, "who's up for fart baseball?" after lights out.

  18. #18
    Registered User Captain's Avatar
    Join Date
    02-24-2008
    Location
    Cincinnati
    Age
    37
    Posts
    653

    Default

    think thats just always a good idea
    " YOU'RE MAD!" "... Thank goodness for that, Because if I wasn't this would probably never work." AT thru hiker advice from CAPN jack sparrow

  19. #19
    Registered User Captain's Avatar
    Join Date
    02-24-2008
    Location
    Cincinnati
    Age
    37
    Posts
    653

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CrumbSnatcher View Post
    #1 theres no problem with dogs in the shelter,if others have no objection(especially if the dog is well behaved) if the shelter starts to fill up yes i throw up my tent.(prefer to tent anyway)my dog had over 6,000 A.T. miles with no complaints #2 you should always have some form of shelter with you anyway(tent,tarp,etc...) #4 i always left before dawn,and was always very quiet(and very respectful of others) that was always my biggest problem with others.very loud and no respect of others i would be prepared the night before and grab my stuff and pack up away from the shelter. #10 never,never,never leave anything behind,that is littering. the rest of your list is good to go.


    right on, i just put this list together given the impressions i got from others over the past year
    " YOU'RE MAD!" "... Thank goodness for that, Because if I wasn't this would probably never work." AT thru hiker advice from CAPN jack sparrow

  20. #20

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tin Man View Post
    Don't ask, "who's up for fart baseball?" after lights out.
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain View Post
    think thats just always a good idea
    You're right, but they don't ask in the first place. They just start playing.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •