WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Poll: Tell us about your stay...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Registered User IronmastersMansion's Avatar

Post Ironmaster's Mansion Hostel

1212 Pine Grove Road, PA 17324
    (717)486-7575
    [email protected] OR [email protected]
    Price - $22 & $25
    Day Use Rooms, include shower- $6
    Shuttle Service Available - $1/mile & $5/additional persons
    Free Internet
    Free Nationwide Long Distance
    Laundry
    Television

Images

I wasn't quite sure what to say. My stay almost didn't happen. I got there on a very cold, very wet day in the late fall, only to be told that a group had reserved the entire place and I couldn't stay. I whined a bit; thank goodness Donna showed some mercy. I was in a pretty bad state--had I known the hostel was not open to hikers that day I would never have gotten soaked to the skin on such a cold day.

Once in, however, I had a great stay.
    If not NOW, then WHEN?

ME>GA 2006
    http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?trailname=3277

Instagram hiking photos: five.leafed.clover

I didn't actually stay there but I used the phone and took a shower in the afternoon when the place was pretty empty. The lady there was very nice. The bathroom did not seem to be adequate for a facility of that type, that accommodates groups, and it was not very clean. I guess had it been at a rustic hostel I wouldn't have thought twice about it, but it was incongruent with the expectations of such a nice building. There may also be other bathrooms I don't know about. If there aren't, then perhaps you should consider that as a possible project.

It's a decent hostel; has all the needed amenities. It has a hard "fee" ($20 or so, as I recall) rather than being "honor system." A large, full kitchen that you can use... "free" coffee and tea. Nice porch, a store next door where you can buy munchies and grille food. The dorms are dorm-ish. Clean but very spartan. As Tater mentioned -- the bathrooms are nice but probably too small for a "full house." When I was at Ironmaster's late last summer, I was the only hiking guest. (A non-hiking family was there for the night, but not staying in the dorms.)

Images

i have enjoyed all my stays at ironmasters hostel.

it has everything you could want and more for about $20.
    "The spirit of resistance to government is so valuable on certain occasions, that I wish it always to be kept alive." -TJ

:banana Thank you

Thanks to those who have responded to the poll. Keep them coming. We're trying to do all we can to accommodate everyone. As for the bathrooms...we agree but we can't make changes like that without a lot of red tape and even then, it probably won't be allowed. We have a total of 4 bathrooms that so far have handled the max of 46 guests. People just learn to wait their turn. The Day Use Area only has 2 open bathrooms but it's better than waiting on the porch with none. We hope we can continue the Day Use, but so far things have not been going well...we'll just have to wait and see. P.S. There is a dumpster in the parking lot where you can empty your trash...PLEASE use it. Thank you.

Registered User Caveman of Ohio's Avatar
    Images

Is the same lady from 07 still taking care of the place. I forgot her name but she is good people.

Donna retired. Ray & Lori Burt (us) are the new managers. Stop by and see the changes. Hope you like them.

Registered User Caveman of Ohio's Avatar
    Images

I am doing a little section hike from Harpers Ferry to Boiling Springs starting on Friday. I plan on staying there one evening.

Journal Entries

I stayed here on the trail, enjoyed it greatly. And when my inlaws -- now deceased -- lived in North cAROLINA My wife and I stopped at the Iron Masters many times in our multiple journeys south, as a more pleasant stop from motels.

I heartedly recommend this wonderful historic site! I've stayed there while camping at the nearby state park, while on the trail, during the annual Ruck, while attempting 2000-mile- status and many times before and since. It's truly one of the great AT sites.

Weary

Great! Can't wait to meet you. Hopefully the weather clears up. We'll be keeping a look out for you. Have fun...

The Ironmasters Mansion is no longer offering a thru hiker discount. The general and I were charged full rate of $25. The gentleman checking us in advised they are specifically not honoring the discount.

JukeBox

thru-hikers should never get a discount on anything. it's their choice to be out there and use lodging.

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf View Post
    thru-hikers should never get a discount on anything. it's their choice to be out there and use lodging.
    Well, it's up the individual business owner, I'd think. But in the case of Ironmasters, as I recall, it's an official AYH hostel so their rates are probably set that way. (The only AYH hostel I know of on the AT, in fact -- are there others?)

Quote Originally Posted by _terrapin_ View Post
    Well, it's up the individual business owner, I'd think. But in the case of Ironmasters, as I recall, it's an official AYH hostel so their rates are probably set that way. (The only AYH hostel I know of on the AT, in fact -- are there others?)
    There is one in Knoxville, MD across from Harper's Ferry. The one on the C&O is not American Youth Hostels but Hosteling International USA.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by IronmastersMansion View Post
    Donna retired. Ray & Lori Burt (us) are the new managers. Stop by and see the changes. Hope you like them.
    Looking forward to meeting you.

Panzer
    ps I love the place

Journal Entries

Thru hikers are given discounts mostly because businesses along the trail want their money. It's called competition.

I don't object to discounts by people seeking customers. I do find the hordes of people who swarm around the trail, offering food and stuff to people lucky enough to be able to take a six month vacation a bit silly.

Of all the ills that face this world, gifts to the relatively affluent strike me as a bit misguided. Next thing will be tax breaks and subsidies to help industries move their jobs overseas. Oh, I forgot. We do that already.

Weary

I love it! Even though I've never actually stayed in the hostel. The Rucks have all been a blast there but I've always camped just down the road.
    Quote Originally Posted by weary View Post
    Of all the ills that face this world, gifts to the relatively affluent strike me as a bit misguided. Next thing will be tax breaks and subsidies to help industries move their jobs overseas. Oh, I forgot. We do that already.

Weary
    Yer just jealous. Gifts are the the prerogative of the giver.

Images

What about if the thru-hiker had a coupon. Would it be OK if they got a discount then?

Panzer

...your worst nightmare!
    Journal Entries
    Images

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by _terrapin_ View Post
    I'm pretty sure that the hostel along the section where the A.T. runs along the C & O for a few miles is an AYH one, too.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++