WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Images

Default Are there any women heading SOBO in the next few weeks?

Sorry to keep bugging everyone.

I've finally decided that it would be better to rearrange my schedule and go from Maine to Georgia.

My question is: are there any other women heading SOBO in the next few weeks that wouldn't mind me beginning with them?

Thanks!

Images

I know Red Hat is going sobo. But I don't remember when she's leaving.
    "It was on the first of May, in the year 1769, that I resigned my domestic happiness for a time, and left my family and peaceable habitation on the Yadkin River, in North Carolina, to wander through the wilderness of America." - Daniel Boone

Hey Sallie, I am heading south bound. I am hiking with my Husband for the 100 mile wilderness and then will be alone for almost 3 months. I am not a good person to hike with because I am god awful slow, 5 miles or so a day and I am terribly out of shape. I would love the company but I find it hard to believe that anyone would enjoy my hike or my tears. I am on a journey of self and I am afraid that this 47 year old fat woman would probably not be a good partner for you.

Hopefully I will run into you along the way and I wish you well. Perhaps we can do a day or so together, especially after Monson. My husband and I are working on our marriage if you know what I mean.

Peace and a great hike,
    Glacier

I leave June 4th

Images

Quote Originally Posted by glacier48 View Post
    Hey Sallie, I am heading south bound. I am hiking with my Husband for the 100 mile wilderness and then will be alone for almost 3 months. I am not a good person to hike with because I am god awful slow, 5 miles or so a day and I am terribly out of shape. I would love the company but I find it hard to believe that anyone would enjoy my hike or my tears. I am on a journey of self and I am afraid that this 47 year old fat woman would probably not be a good partner for you.

Hopefully I will run into you along the way and I wish you well. Perhaps we can do a day or so together, especially after Monson. My husband and I are working on our marriage if you know what I mean.

Peace and a great hike,
    Glacier

I leave June 4th
    You're going to do just fine! Last year my husband and I started a thru-hike and ended it in part because of constant sobbing and how incredibly hard it was for me to get up the hills This year I've been out twice and I'm doing better than ever! It was hard the first time out when I hit that climb out of the NOC and I couldn't stop the tears. But the 2nd time I was much stronger going up and just flying down the hills. Take it as slow as you need to, remember how many people before you have made those climbs, and know that I'm (and I'm sure many others) are cheering you on! I have journal and trailjournals.com/mrs baggins if you want to read about my experiences. I'm brutally honest and I don't hide how hard it can be.
    "All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us."

Images

Hey Sallie,

Good luck to you on your hike. How exciting! Not too many women are southbounders...congrats!

Take a breather October 10-12 and visit us at the Gathering in Pipestem WV. That's in southern WV; if you're around Pearisburg or Bland, you can get a ride up to experience the Gathering. There are many folks driving in that would pick you up if you arrange it ahead of time.

I remember Marta "Five-Leaf Clover" attending during her 2006 SOBO. She might even be able to tell you where she was at on the Trail during that time.

Even though the Gathering fee is only $10.00 per person, ALL current year thruhikers are admitted free of charge.

Good luck and have fun on your journey. Don't forget to check back here with your updates!

Images

Quote Originally Posted by StarLyte View Post
    Hey Sallie,

Good luck to you on your hike. How exciting! Not too many women are southbounders...congrats!

Take a breather October 10-12 and visit us at the Gathering in Pipestem WV. That's in southern WV; if you're around Pearisburg or Bland, you can get a ride up to experience the Gathering. There are many folks driving in that would pick you up if you arrange it ahead of time.

I remember Marta "Five-Leaf Clover" attending during her 2006 SOBO. She might even be able to tell you where she was at on the Trail during that time.

Even though the Gathering fee is only $10.00 per person, ALL current year thruhikers are admitted free of charge.

Good luck and have fun on your journey. Don't forget to check back here with your updates!
    I definitely second the recommendation to go to The Gathering during your SOBO hike. It is very energizing. I got to meet some SOBOs who had passed me early on, and to meet some folks that had started and stayed ahead of me, and were known to me only through register entries.

I was in Boiling Springs, PA. Ishmael gave me a ride back and forth. (I got his phone # from the folks in the ATC Regional Office in Boiling Springs.) It was delightful to spend some time with him.
    If not NOW, then WHEN?

ME>GA 2006
    http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?trailname=3277

Instagram hiking photos: five.leafed.clover

Sallie,

I'm a 26 year old lady hiking sobo starting around july 1. I would love the company but I'm not leaving until the end of june. Looks like you want to start sooner. Hope to see you on the trail.

Oh, I'm planning on going slow in the beginning (2-3 weeks beginning) with a max. of 10 miles/day.

Cori

Images

I am a 60 yr old hiker beginning July 1st. Thinking about waiting till then?

Images

Hey Sallie-

My wife, Colleen (also a N. GA gal!), & I are planning our start June 7th. This has been a last minute (over the last month) plan due to the right circumstances presenting themselves. We have spent every minute of it planning as best we can & I have finally realized part of the fun will be figuring it out as we go (to an extent). We have section hiked the AT from Springer to Mount Rogers Headquarters with my brother-in-law and actually got married on Springer October 29 2006 (see my gallery) and hiked 8 days to Standing Indian, NC for our honeymoon. We somewhat know what to expect mentally & physically but we will definately be in unfamiliar turf but that will be part of the adventure. We can't wait! Hope to see you

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Red Hat View Post
    I am a 60 yr old hiker beginning July 1st. Thinking about waiting till then?
    Sure, I'd love to start off with someone. And several sites mention avoiding June means avoiding the black flies.

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

With all the snow and water this year, going later like the end of June or early July seems like a good idea.

You ladies will have a blast!!! (now I want to go...sigh)

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

Come on Blissful!!!! Ignore your obligations, be sporadic, and hike with us!

Quote Originally Posted by StarLyte View Post
    so, does that mean you will be charging Kirby $10?
    Trillium

stuck in time

actually, i heard they will be paying kirby $10 to be there....
    good luck on your hike!
    ~josi

Images

July 1st is gonna be one big party of ladies on Katahdin! (of course, Captain should be there too) can't wait!

Is it unusual to have this many females hiking southbound?

Images

I think so... Marta (06) had a hiking buddy who didn't make it up Katahdin.

Images

In '06, there was one woman who started a little ahead of me (Superstar), whom I caught in southern Maine. A young woman (Lemon Lime) started with her brother and hiked to Hanover, before getting off. Another young woman started with a friend. The friend quit in Monson; North Wind went to Hanover.

There were some others, but they were not near enough for me to hike with them.

Have a blast, ladies! And good luck!
    If not NOW, then WHEN?

ME>GA 2006
    http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?trailname=3277

Instagram hiking photos: five.leafed.clover

++ New Posts ++