WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    hansome, rich, intelligent, cancer survivor Crazy_Al's Avatar

Default CHIGGERS and BLACK, BRUSED TOES

There are 2 things that cause my section hiking to be uncomfortable; they are CHIGGERS and BLACK, BRUSED TOES. I use 29% DEET and still get chigger bites. What do you recommend to eliminate these problems ????
    Crazy Al

Quote Originally Posted by Crazy_Al View Post
    There are 2 things that cause my section hiking to be uncomfortable; they are CHIGGERS and BLACK, BRUSED TOES. I use 29% DEET and still get chigger bites. What do you recommend to eliminate these problems ????
    Every time I hear the word 'chigger' a cold chill runs down my spine!
    Redwood and I got chiggers in Arkansas trying to hike the Ozark Highlands Trail and I've never felt so terrible!
    We couldn't get off the trail fast enough and even when we got to town they were still all over us. (And they do get ALL over if you get my drift)

Bleh. It was terrible. I wouldn't wish that on anybody!!

Images

A sulphur based repellent like http://www.chiggaway.com/index.html might help.

What are you hiking in shoe wise? Shoe fit and construction would be the first place to look for an answer. Make sure toenails are trimmed properly as well. Hiking poles or a staff might help too. Usually the toe problems are caused by sliding into the front of the shoe/boot on the downhills.
    "That's the thing about possum innards - they's just as good the second day." - Jed Clampett

Images

4eyedbuzzard is on the right track, more than likely your footwear aint fittin' right. Unless you are doing the riverdance on your section hikes....!
    www.kevinmims.com
    Read the VISIT FLORIDA Outdoors & Nature Blog: http://bit.ly/9jtcnr

Chigg-Away or sulpher and baby powder. Also treat your clothing with Permethrin.

Images

BTW, if your toes are truely black and perhaps numb(not just bruised blue or black under the toenail) you need to see a doctor right away. Black means dead tissue and it needs immediate professional care - like go to the ER. Diabetics and to a lesser extent smokers are at greater risk for toe and feet problems. Don't mess around with it. It could ruin more than just a hike.
    "That's the thing about possum innards - they's just as good the second day." - Jed Clampett

Images

Ya know- i played in the woods everyday as a kid.

How come I never got chiggers as a kid?

hansome, rich, intelligent, cancer survivor Crazy_Al's Avatar

Default Permanone Insect Repellent) (0.5%)

Repel! (Permanone Insect Repellent) (0.5%) (clothes only)
    General Clothing Instructions: This product must not be applied to clothing while it is being worn. Under no circumstances should bare skin or clothing on the body be treated. For protection against ticks (including those, which may carry Lyme disease), chiggers and mosquitoes, apply product as directed below. For further protection, us in conjunction with an insect repellent registered for direct application to the skin and utilize the following primary preventive measures. Avoid walking in areas where the pests are found, wear appropriate protective clothing (light-colored, long-sleeved shirt and long pants tucked into socks and inspect body daily for ticks. Pants cuffs should be worn inside the socks or footwear to ensure full protection against ticks and chiggers.
    Initial Treatment Instructions:
    1. Select a well-ventilated outdoor area protected from wind and lay out the clothing to be treated (as complete outfit: shirt, trousers and socks)
    2. Hold container upright about 6 to 8 inches from surface of the clothing and spray with a slow sweeping motion to lightly moisten the surface of the fabric
    3. Continue spraying over entire outfit, until a total treatment time of 60 seconds has elapsed and the outer surface of the fabric is moist enough to cause a slight color change or darkening. Pay special attention to socks, trouser cuffs and shirt cuffs.
    4. Turn the clothing over and treat the other side as described in step 2 & 3
    5. Hang the treated clothing and allow to dry for at least 2 hours (4 hours under humid conditions) before wearing
    6. Three ounces will treat one complete outfit. Do not exceed recommended spraying times.
    Crazy Al

Gaiters might help with the chiggers...

Quote Originally Posted by le loupe View Post

Obviously there were no chiggers where you played.

Around here chiggers are more common in grass or brushy areas than in forested areas.

Images

I was at an AT conference several years ago in VA and was told from the local hiking club never to sit directly on the ground, Cut a square from an old closed cell sleepnig pad and sit on that to prevent chiggers.
    WalkingStick"75"

Your Deet need to be much stronger. Deep Woods Off is 100%.

Quote Originally Posted by River Runner View Post
    Around here chiggers are more common in grass or brushy areas than in forested areas.
    Very true. Our rule down here is the first rain after the first of June brings those little buggers out in force. I second the deep woods Off on boots and socks, it's about 90% effective for me when I work the dogs in the field. Still, some of those rascals find a way to get through the gauntlet.
    When you get bit, clear fingernail polish or peroxide seems to clear up the bites pretty quickly.

Images

if anything, clear nail polish helps with the itch. I read a consumer's report that said OFF's Sportsman's with deet is the best for keeping away biting insects.

I never got chiggers growing up either, but I grew up in mid-Michigan, and I don't think there was a big chigger population. Just like there is hardly any ticks and fleas. I never got a tick till I moved to Tennessee, and I grew up on a lake in the woods. I think the colder, longer the winter, the less likely these pests are ...........pesty.
    "It was on the first of May, in the year 1769, that I resigned my domestic happiness for a time, and left my family and peaceable habitation on the Yadkin River, in North Carolina, to wander through the wilderness of America." - Daniel Boone

And my wife does not know what I go through to get her fresh blackberries for her cereal, those redbugs love blackberry bushes.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Lilred View Post
    I never got chiggers growing up either, but I grew up in mid-Michigan, and I don't think there was a big chigger population. Just like there is hardly any ticks and fleas. I never got a tick till I moved to Tennessee, and I grew up on a lake in the woods. I think the colder, longer the winter, the less likely these pests are ...........pesty.
    That's what I'm wondering if in the past 25 years climate change hasnt increased there prevalence here in south Jersey. Winter are getting milder & milder all the time, therefore maybe more bugs than when I was a kid.

I've gotten ticks in November here.

Images

I remember getting chiggers several times in Farmingdale, NJ (Monmouth County) as a kid back in the 60's.

That's what I'm wondering if in the past 25 years climate change hasnt increased there prevalence here in south Jersey. Winter are getting milder & milder all the time, therefore maybe more bugs than when I was a kid.

I've gotten ticks in November here.

Maybe they've developed a taste for you

A thru-hiker before I started my thru-hike had advised me that my feet would grow 1.5 to 2.0 sizes larger while thru-hiking the AT. This was after I.d already gotten my trailname of Dat-toe from black-and-blue toes and a certain Vice-president of the United States from my neighborhood had gallently changed my trailname to Datto indicating having a trailname that ended in an "e" might make people laugh at me.

Anyway, that increased shoe size recommendation certainly came true. My feet today are 2.0 shoe sizes sizes larger than when I started my AT thru-hike. They.re way wider too (now I wear a 4EEE width).

Datto

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++