WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Thread: Tent platforms

Images

Default Tent platforms

We have section hiked GA, NC, TN, & part of VA and have not seen a "tent platform" that I can remember. I noticed, particularly in the Whites, there are tent platforms. My question, not knowing exactly what one is, is will we be able to set a non-free standing tent (Zoid) up on one?

“Only two things are infinite; The universe and human stupidity,
    And I’m starting to wonder about the universe.”
    Albert Einstein

Images

You may have to get a little creative in how you set up your tent but you'll be able to do it. My wife and I have set up our Tarptent Rainshadow on tent platforms with little problem.

CDT - 2013, PCT - 2009, AT - 1300 miles done burger's Avatar

I have a Tarptent Squall, and I've never had a problem on any platform. Contrary to the thread linked above, you don't even need any extra cord--just be flexible about where you tie out your cords.

Images

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Frick Frack View Post
    We have section hiked GA, NC, TN, & part of VA and have not seen a "tent platform" that I can remember. I noticed, particularly in the Whites, there are tent platforms. My question, not knowing exactly what one is, is will we be able to set a non-free standing tent (Zoid) up on one?
    Seems I remember some at the Gooch Shelter area. I know there was a sign for tenting spots. I've eaten lunch there but never stayed overnight.

Quote Originally Posted by Frick Frack View Post
    There's generally a way... you just need to be a bit creative. Some twigs, some twine, duct tape...

Some of the tent platforms in the Whites have screw eyes on the sides to tie your tent to. Sometimes you can put a stake loop between two boards on a platform and use a stick or stake to hold the loops down. If you have a tent with a good sized vestibule, you can pitch your tent floor on the platform and the vestibule off the side of the platform making a nice sit-down porch under which you can wait out a storm, sitting on a dry platform with your feet hanging off the edge.
    (Of course, a hammock works nicely, too) .
    As I live, declares the Lord God, I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that the wicked turn back from his way and live. Ezekiel 33:11

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

I'll have to admit, I was glad I had my free standing, double wall tent on a tent platform, when I got up north, esp in sixty plus wind and rain at Liberty Springs tentsite.

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

++ New Posts ++