WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: SOBO sightings?

Musta notta gotta lotta sleep last night. Heater's Avatar
    Images

Question SOBO sightings?

Where are all the SOBOers?Austexs
    ~~^^^~~^^~^^^~~~^^^^^~^~
    Those who cannot remember the past, are condemned to repeat it.

Images

Tonight, August 27th at Green Mountain House we are hosting southbounders Grizz, Earthworm, D-Wreck, Superman and Bootstrap. There are still plenty of NOBO's near Manchester, VT as well.

Check out our Trailjournals for lots of hikers you might recognize:

http://www.trailjournals.com/photos.cfm?id=380480

Images

Met a bunch that have come through Pawling NY already. The two that I saw yesterday were Stretch and Slot Machine. They were hiking with No Car who will wrap up his Flip Flop this weekend.

2010 complete

anybody seen Half Gallon? I met him near Pinkham on July 31. He seemed to be a strong and determined hiker.

Images

Don't know Half Gallon, but One Gallon was through Manchester,VT August 22nd.

Here is his pic:

http://www.trailjournals.com/photos.cfm?id=378619

Images

Default still some in Maine

I'm a week into Maine and have run into at least one each of the last few days.

At least four left Hanover today, or are planning to.

Nice folks, too.

Default Sobos in Hanover

Plank, boulder, Calamity Jane, Caveman/Jeremiah, Detour/Gregg and Dakota are in the Hanover area today and moving south.

As a general rule, I'm not sure that the exact whereabouts of individual hikers should be publicly posted, especially that of women hikers. Obviously, if they choose to post this information themselves, like Dakota did, or if they have Internet journals, or if they post regularly to Trail websites (like Chaco or Matty or Wak for example) that's another matter, but as a general rule, especially as regards solo women hikers, I simply don't think this is a good thing to do.

Call me old fashioned, but friends and families of hikers generally have a really good idea of their whereabouts, and this isn't necessarily information that needs to be publicly posted.

Images

Jack, you raise a good point. Can't be too careful regarding personal safety.

Images

One early June starter has left Pearisburg and should be Damascus bound soon. A few are in NY/NJ, but most are in MA/CT.

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

Go, SOBOS!

Good luck finishing - NOBOs. This time last year we were entering Maine. Lots of really tough but good memories.

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Tarlin View Post
    As a general rule, I'm not sure that the exact whereabouts of individual hikers should be publicly posted, especially that of women hikers.
    I agree with Jack and mention this at least once a year when these types of threads get started.

After a female hiker was met at a trailhead by a young man who was reading her journal and wanted to meet her, Wingfoot started to delay posting updates for hikers who used his online journals for about a week to make it more difficult for stalkers to track down hikers.

Thanx, Max.

This happens more often than you think. In my opinion, you shouldn't post the exact whereabouts or itinerary of a hiker, especially a woman hiker, unless you KNOW they want this information publicly posted.

And the vast majority of them DON'T.

Images

im staying in the Pocosin Cabin on the trail in SNP sept 6-9th, will there be SOBOs in the park by this time?

thinking of bringing extra food, case of beer, water for some trail magic. ill make a sign on the trail welcoming any SOBOs?

Images

I had to make it a point to tell people not to post my whereabouts online.

The majority of people think it is no big deal to post what hikers you saw and where and the majority of hikers don't care if there name is posted onling.

As a woman hiker I do not want people putting my name online along with where I am and what I am doing. People should keep this in mind when posting names without permission.

Images

I understand the point being made about safety in identifying everyones exact location. But, look on Trailjournals.com and hikers are doing exactly that. Even hikers with multiple thrus are naming places and trail names.

With technology today you can update your journal almost daily so the information is fresh. Yet, I do not remember this safety issue being addressed over at TJ.com.

Are we to ask everyone we meet if it is OK to mention their name when journaling????

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff View Post
    I understand the point being made about safety in identifying everyones exact location. But, look on Trailjournals.com and hikers are doing exactly that. Even hikers with multiple thrus are naming places and trail names.

With technology today you can update your journal almost daily so the information is fresh. Yet, I do not remember this safety issue being addressed over at TJ.com.

Are we to ask everyone we meet if it is OK to mention their name when journaling????
    My thoughts exactly. 90% of TJs consist of a list of people met that day. Often with pictures.
    If not NOW, then WHEN?

ME>GA 2006
    http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?trailname=3277

Instagram hiking photos: five.leafed.clover

Default SOBO Sighting

In reference to where the SOBOs are. There are 5 in Duncannon tonight.

Images

I met three sobo's in PA near Port Clinton on the 21st, about a week and a half ago.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++