WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    On the 25-year Installment Plan dperry's Avatar
    Images

Question Buying Tubs of Powdered Gatorade

Hello, All,

Can anyone suggest a good source, whether physical or online, for getting the larger tubs (8 quart) of powdered Gatorade? My wife likes orange and I'm into fruit punch, but so far I haven't been able to find either at the local supermarkets, only the original lemon-lime and grape (yuck). I've tried the small packets; however, they make 32 oz, whereas the squeeze bottles we take along only hold 24 oz. It's nasty when you throw the whole packet into too small a bottle, and trying to measure and then save the rest of the packet is too much of a pain in the field. I'd rather just get a tub and measure into ziplocs at home. Thanks to all for your input!
    David Perry
    79.1 down, 2,101.9 to go.

Images
    "That's the thing about possum innards - they's just as good the second day." - Jed Clampett

Journal Entries
    Images

very strange - Shop rite & acme have had good sales of the slow moving product
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Registered User Tennessee Viking's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

Check you nearest Sams or Costco or other wholesale/bulk store. But why go bulk, Gatorade is just now getting into the individual packet sized of powder now. Then again, I loved Powerade over Gatorade.
    ''Tennessee Viking'
    Mountains to Sea Trail Hiker & Maintainer
    Former TEHCC (AT) Maintainer

Images

If it helps, Gatorade now has singles (in my local grocery, anyway) that mix with a pint of water (which works for me with my 20 oz. bottle).

Images

Here's some info on the singles.

Default walmart

I have found the large tubs at Walmart

you could also get a bigger bottle?

I get large bags or powdered gateraid in various flavors at a nearby Amish bulk food & supply store.

See you at Springer, Winter 09' Chance09's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by beckyjean View Post
    you could also get a bigger bottle?
    ingenious idea, who'd have thunk it?
    AT - Georgia to Maine '09
    PCT - Mexico to Canada '10
    CDT - Canada to Mexico '11

On the 25-year Installment Plan dperry's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Chance09 View Post
    ingenious idea, who'd have thunk it?
    . . .except that a.) we like to start the trip with already-made Gatorade in the squeeze bottles, and that's the size they come in, and b.) the larger bottles don't fit in the side pockets of our packs. Trust me, I've thought this out carefully.
    David Perry
    79.1 down, 2,101.9 to go.

While you're still at home, you might empty all your small packets into a bowl, measure and repack into ziplocks. Might or might not be cheaper than bulk plus shipping.

After mixing powdered drink up for a while, you can get the concentration right by the color, no need to measure. If using lemonade, pink lemonade works better or you can get a pack of raspberry or cherry to mix in, unsweetened if you want.

Quote Originally Posted by dperry View Post
    . . .except that a.) we like to start the trip with already-made Gatorade in the squeeze bottles, and that's the size they come in, and b.) the larger bottles don't fit in the side pockets of our packs. Trust me, I've thought this out carefully.
    What brand bottle do you use? Reason why I ask is have you tried the newer Camelbak bottles with screw on lids? I use the 24 ounce size for around town hikes but they make a similar 32 ounce bottle. The bottles are narrow/tall.
    Trail Cooking/FBC, Recipes, Gear and Beyond:
    Trail Cooking

I've been buying the 1 gallon Gatorade packets from Tylertool.com for years. Right now it's $54.96 for a case of 40 packets - ends up being about a $1.32 per gallon vs. $5 a gallon at the grocery store. They are reliable and shipping is really reasonable. (note: they also have the 2.5 gallon pkts as well)

Gatorade makes squeeze bottles that are the same diameter as standard squeeze bottles, just taller.

http://www.gssstore.com/product/GAT4...=&utm_campaign=

Our local walmart also carries Gatorade in the 8 qt tubs, in about 6 diff flavors (I'm also partial to FP).

I actually use a product called nuun (www.ems.com) it is like gatorade in tablet form that you put into a nalgene bottle and they dissolve it provide the same electrolytes and a pleasant flavor without a mess and can be done without problems they come in a small tube container with 12 tablets that make 32 or 16 oz depending on if you got the cheaper vs more expensive pack at its most expensive it 12.00 for the 32oz tablets it makes something like 380 oz per container.

Hey that sounds handy! (meaning the nuun)

Ends up being like 50 cents or so for a 16oz serving.

I normally drink water or tea but this might be nice alternative to carry for a change of pace (or if I find myself with leg cramps/whatnot).

Cool!

nuun is a vastly better electrolyte replacement solution (if that's what your after).

Gatorade is great, readily available and tastes good, but let's face it ... it's sugar water. It has 90mg of sodium per serving, compared to 700g for nuun.

nuun is salt and potassium, with flavorings added as an afterthought to make itt taste good. Whereas Gatorade is granulated sugar with some other nutrients thrown in as an afterthought. You can get nuun very cheaply in bulk if you look around. For example, it's here for about .40 cents per litre.

Were is here for 40 cents please.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++