WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 27 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default dogs in shelters

"a responsible, courteous dog owner would never think of letting their dog sleep in a shelter". i got banned from Trailplace for saying that by the over-zealous moderator, 7Sisters. same old Trailplace he says that is a broad, general statement. i say it's a no brainer. dogs DO NOT belong in shelters. period. so yes or no. dogs in shelters?

Wolf, I'm not as hard-line as you on this subject; I've had both good and bad experiences with dogs in shelters - I think it's situational.

But I'm more concerned that TrailPlace banned you for asserting as you did on the grounds it's a "broad, general statement." Rather specious rationale if you ask me. Are you sure your post there didn't say ******?

Quote Originally Posted by Cookerhiker View Post
    Wolf, I'm not as hard-line as you on this subject; I've had both good and bad experiences with dogs in shelters - I think it's situational.

But I'm more concerned that TrailPlace banned you for asserting as you did on the grounds it's a "broad, general statement." Rather specious rationale if you ask me. Are you sure your post there didn't say ******?
    in the thread in question i used no swear words and was banned for obnoxiousness and causing arguements. discussion on Trailplace is not welcome. i just kept repeating my stance. 7sisters and the others are dog owners so thier little feelings are hurt i guess

Journal Entries
    Images

Default Dogs in shelters?

I'm with Wolf. dogs should not be sleeping in shelters. I once slept in a shelter with a dog and it's owner in the same sleeping bag right next to me. That was Marvin the Wounder dog from 01.
    Grampie-N->2001

Images

Getting banned from a forum for stating your opinion in a civil way....WOW!!! That sheds new light on Trailplace to me.

I am a dog owner and would never put my dog in a shelter although I have seen many in them. Not everyone likes dogs. Not every dog owner is considerate of that when using shelters. That's what makes it difficult for the dog owners that take other hikers in to consideration.
    HAPPY TRAILS TO ALL AND TO ALL A GOOD HIKE!

Images

I have mixed feelings on the dog issue. I own a dog, but don't take him hiking. I don't think I'd appreciate someone allowing their dog in a shelter without first asking me if I minded if I were staying there also.

The ATC says: "Take special measures at shelters. Leash your dog in the shelter area, and ask permission of other hikers before allowing your dog in a shelter. Be prepared to "tent out" when a shelter is crowded, and on rainy days."

I agree with the ATC here.

Sometimes I agree with LW, sometimes I don't. Amazing . I don't mind staying in shelters sometimes and he loathes them. Just different opinions. We're allowed to disagree and make our own adult choices. And we can still offer our opinions and talk about them civilly.

Adults learn to disagree and still share the sandbox. It's called maturity. Children throw tantrums - and ban people from DB's.
    "That's the thing about possum innards - they's just as good the second day." - Jed Clampett

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf View Post
    "a responsible, courteous dog owner would never think of letting their dog sleep in a shelter". i got banned from Trailplace for saying that by the over-zealous moderator, 7Sisters. same old Trailplace he says that is a broad, general statement. i say it's a no brainer. dogs DO NOT belong in shelters. period. so yes or no. dogs in shelters?
    Given your thoughts on shelters seems like it should not be an issue. And I can't imagine why you would be " banned for obnoxiousness and causing arguements" I think in the latest JB/WD....LW set to someone asked why this site could not be more like.... and then named a couple of sites. I think one of his concerns was that it did not look "good ? " for WB when new/other/ ( I forget the term) logged onto this site. After that I spent some time checking (under who's online) to see where people were looking (particularly guests) and noticed that few ,if any, guests(or regulars for that matter) bothered with the more contentious threads. I also noticed that the other sites had fewer members and fewer people online at any given time. I think someone pointed out that the diversity of this site is what attracts the large number of people. Some people want a site with no strong statements (or personallites) and that is the way the set up their site. Even here (WB) there is some level of what is acceptabe ( seems like someone locked the last BJ/WD discussion)

Quote Originally Posted by Cookerhiker View Post

Situational (depends) - should have been an option. If everybody at the shelter has a dog( or likes dogs) chances are the dogs will be in the shelter. (Disclosure - I have a dog. We don't like to stay in shelters. )

in the thread in question i used no swear words and was banned for obnoxiousness and causing arguements. discussion on Trailplace is not welcome. i just kept repeating my stance. 7sisters and the others are dog owners so thier little feelings are hurt i guess
    " i just kept repeating my stance" might have been the problem. Was not sure how to quote a post from another thread so I copied and pasted the quote below. I think this link will get you there.
    http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/show...rta#post632177

Right on Marta!

warren doyle
    Warren Doyle
    Year of thru-hike: 1973;75;77;80;90;95;2000;05;

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Marta
    Do you really want my opinion?

Well here it is:

I think that if someone suggests something you disagree with, that you state your opinion on the matter.

Example:

Hiker #1: "I like the XXX water filter."

Hiker #2: "I don't filter my water."

Hiker #1: "Aren't you concerned about giardia?"

Hiker #2: "No."

And that's the end of the discussion.

YOU DROP THE SUBJECT.

You DO NOT continue to badger and beleager and waste space on the subject.

You DO NOT suggest that the original poster is some sort of idiot or imbecile or criminal, even if you think it's true. Keep that opinion to yourself and off the internet, more specifically, keep it off Whiteblaze.
    Right on Marta!
    www.warrendoyle.com

Banned for just being you huh?

I do not like dogs near where I sleep or where I eat....that being said I guess that makes me a no.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by gold bond View Post
    I do not like dogs near where I sleep or where I eat....that being said I guess that makes me a no.
    I'm with you on this. Had an experience at a shelter in early May with a hiker with 2 dogs - both allowed to roam in the shelter and one of them ended up with my dinner because he stuck his nose in it before I could pull it away. Of course the owner was apologetic but the dogs continued to be allowed to roam in the shelter at will and were fed in the shelter (weather was excellent). They barked and charged into hikers in the shelter as well.
    "All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us."

Quote Originally Posted by Mrs Baggins View Post
    I'm with you on this. Had an experience at a shelter in early May with a hiker with 2 dogs - both allowed to roam in the shelter and one of them ended up with my dinner because he stuck his nose in it before I could pull it away. Of course the owner was apologetic but the dogs continued to be allowed to roam in the shelter at will and were fed in the shelter (weather was excellent). They barked and charged into hikers in the shelter as well.
    I was doing a short section last Sunday and couldn't even get near the shelter to sign the register. "Cujo" and his mutt friends were all over us. Dogs need to be leashed. Apologetic owners is not enough.

And I like dogs. But on the trail, they should be leashed and kept away from shelters.

Quote Originally Posted by Tin Man View Post

And I like dogs. But on the trail, they should be leashed and kept away from shelters.
    go to trailplace and say that

Done. Thanks for the suggestion.

LW, I'm going to carry the torch for you over there and proclaim "Shelters suck". I'll let you know.

Well, my dogs sleep with us and we treat them like our "empty nest children" that they are but...I would not expect anyone else to want to sleep with them. I also would never take them hiking. The only camping they like is when we take the pop up camper. They like their mattresses.

Images

Default Questions About Down South

So, I've heard from more than one person that you don't really want to be (or at least seem) alone on the southern parts of the AT. One person said that someone stopped in a pick-up truck and asked "you ahead or behind?"- meaning are you behind your group, and if you are, you're in for it now. Is this true, or are people just remembering what happened once and was widely spread?

Journal Entries
    Images

Default Tp

WOLF,

what R U doin' stirring it up on TRAIL PLACE?

(TrailPlace...ONLY the OWNER names have been changed to protect the INNOCENT"..hehehehehehehe)
    see ya'll UP the trail!

"Jaybird"

GA-ME...
    "on-the-20-year-plan"

www.trailjournals.com/Jaybird2013

Default dogs in shelters

Only dogs that are trained for a special needs person should be allowed to stay in shelters. Only people with special needs should want to stay in a shelter. People who stay in shelters are funny looking and ruin everything.

Yeah, I do that on a lot of things ...I start of good but then fade.

Default dogs in shelters

Trailplace had an accepted platform of trail dogma. Half the atteraction to Trailplace was to see people run afoul of the dogma. Then the person would wind up getting banned. Some folks left with grace but then there were the others. My recollection is that trailplace was just not going to accept the changes that were coming along on the trail.

"If thru-hiking isn't the most important thing in your life at the time
    you are doing it, then stop doing it and go do what is." --Wingfoot

If you told trailplace that you had to hike with a cell phone because of a elderly, sick parent you would be told to wait until the person croaked so you could leave your cell phone at home.

I kind of like trailplace...it reminded me of a DI that I had a long time ago.

Default This is a good thread...

Quote Originally Posted by superman View Post
    Trailplace had an accepted platform of trail dogma. Half the atteraction to Trailplace was to see people run afoul of the dogma. Then the person would wind up getting banned. Some folks left with grace but then there were the others. My recollection is that trailplace was just not going to accept the changes that were coming along on the trail.
    1) Of course, I agree completely with the idea that shelters (and as LoneWolf said, the AT) were built for humans, not dogs. Even when a dogbringer gets to a shelter and it's empty, he still needs to keep Barky away from the shelter. This is BC another hiker could come along, even well after dark, and shouldn't be put in the position of having to ask the dogbringer to get the dog out of the shelter, wait for it to be gone, etc. The dog should already be away from the shelter when the other hiker arrives. As that can happen at any hour, as a practical matter that means dogs would need to never be near a shelter for a moment, excepting only when the shelter is located practically on the trail. In that case, IMO the dogbringer is duty-bound to keep on going past the shelter without pausing until he's gotten a fair distance away, as a reasonable compromise. Only when a dogbringer is passing another hiker would I hope that he'd bushwack with his dog.

2) Superman, I'd like to hear more about what you said that's bolded. I take it you meant in part that the trend WRT acceptance of dogs on the AT (trail culture AND law/regulations) is running against dogbringing, in the way that smoking in public places or driving while drinking/intoxicated are?

Page 1 of 27 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++