WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 30 of 43 FirstFirst ... 20 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 40 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by hikingPA View Post
    "i have more miles with a dog by accident than most of all these people combined, probably. and they don't know there head from their ass! i completely agree with you and wolf about no packs (on a thruhike or carrying water)"

and a little later

"i never said i was totally against dogpacks.and for any of you stating your opionion about how the dog would fair on a THRUHIKE without actually ever doing a thruhike,wow. and yes some working dogs/dogs seem to enjoy thier pack! makes them feel part of the team,to a certain extent"

you been drinking that early in the day?
    nice observation, thanks for the laugh

I noticed that we have gotten a little off-track here.
    My opinion, for what it's worth (I am new here), is that dogs do not belong in shelters and their owners are responsible to control the dog's behavior on the trail.
    I will add that I don't like dogs that I am unfamiliar with. My sister was attacked twice by dogs while we were growing up. We and the farmers around us would shoot dogs that didn't have collars because they were constantly chasing livestock. We owned many dogs while growing up... I am not a dog hater, but they are only animals.
    If threatened by one on the trail, I would have no problem beating it with my pole. My health and well being is worth far more than an animal.

Images

I still say I like dogs in shelters, along the trails and hiking with them (mine and others).
    Yea, sometimes things do happen, like when Erwin got bit by another dog but thats going to happen every now and then when you have so many people out there.

I find the drunk hikers, the ones that come into camp at 2am and dont try to be respectfull towards others to be a much bigger problem, wish I could bash them in the head with a nice fat rock - they are only rude people anyways.

Anyways back to the dogs, I have never seen a dog yet attack a hiker (not to say it doesnt happen) but I have seen hikers go after each other, fight and yell like idiots. Grown hikers acting worse then dogs that are "just animals".

As far as dogs going after animals, yes sometimes they chase a deer or rabbit (luckily Erwin doesnt) but hikers (myself included) bother the wild animals (getting good photos of bears, deer and snakes) more then anyones dog on the trail.

While Erwin has been in the shelter with us, he has alerted us to 2 bears that were in camp area, he didnt chase them, just woke us up with a few barks and then after we woke up he got quit. Was nice not to loose our food.
    He also kept a late night hiker, that while it turned out he was just misadverntly beng rude, Erwin did help keep him going on his way.

In the end a dogs behavior is the owners responsibility. Even with the few misbehaving dogs on the trail, they are nothing compared to the bad behavior that other hikers have displayed on the trail. This is not to say there has been a ton of hikers acting bad on the trail but if you compare the ratio of bad hiker behavior to the ratio of bad dog behavior - bad hikers have won this one.

Sorry for the ramble but its back to the trail for another 3 months to finish my thru hike, have fun ya all!

Images

I miss hiking with Kodi.

Thumbs up They Suck

It's a Shelter, not a dog pound! Dogs in shelters SUCK
    Cherokee Bill ..... previously known as "billyboy"

Images

Quote Originally Posted by billyboy View Post
    It's a Shelter, not a dog pound! Dogs in shelters SUCK
    My definition of SUCK would be sharing a shelter with people like yourself.

My definition of SUCK would be staying in a shelter. Period.
    Don't take anything I say seriously... I certainly don't.

Quote Originally Posted by Ender View Post
    My definition of SUCK would be staying in a shelter. Period.
    Now there's an original thought.

Never claimed to be original. Just claimed that shelters are my definition of a bad night in the woods.
    Don't take anything I say seriously... I certainly don't.

Quote Originally Posted by _terrapin_ View Post
    Now there's an original thought.
    Terrapin, you are indeed an original Hang in there!

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by Phreak View Post
    My definition of SUCK would be sharing a shelter with people like yourself.
    Answer .... NO! I thank the Lord that there is only one of me! After HE saw how I turned out, HE destroyed the mold.

Still, dogs in shelter, SUCK!

shelters suck.

Getting out as much as I can..which is never enough. :) Mags's Avatar

To sum up the thread...

"You are a poo poo head"

"No..you ARE"

"AM NOT!"

"MOM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

(need coffee...up too late at a Rokcies .. Coffee good..)
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti
    http://pmags.com
    Twitter: @pmagsco
    Facebook: pmagsblog

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

"Can't we all just get along?" Rodney King before his next ten arrests.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by kanga View Post
    shelters suck.
    Lone Kanga?
    "That's the thing about possum innards - they's just as good the second day." - Jed Clampett

Default dogs in shelters

Quote Originally Posted by Bare Bear View Post
    "Can't we all just get along?" Rodney King before his next ten arrests.
    How many Rodney King beatings would it take for yall to realize that I'm right and you're wrong?

Quote Originally Posted by Flush2wice View Post
    I'm a dog owner and a dog lover. I wouldn't let her in a shelter because I have respect for other hikers. In fact I don't even let her in my house. She stays outside. I don't take her on the trail for 2 reasons-
    She's not leash trained anywhere near well enough
    She doesn't like riding in a vehicle. The only time she does is when she goes to the vet, and that's in the back of my truck, not in the family car. I love dogs but I don't want their hair, fleas or smell in my living, sleeping or driving space. By the way my dog does not have fleas. She does have hair and an occasional smell.
    1- Your not a dog lover 2- Your probably a crappy owner, not teaching your dog to be leash trained, or socialized at a young age, and leaving your dog outside, you might as well not even own a dog. 3- Your dog lives outside, he does have flees. As far as no dogs in shelters, if people don't mind go ahead, but if there is just one person that minds don't bring your dog in the shelter. You people have to realize, disease infested animals live in there when were not there. Rats, mice, etc.... The dogs are probably cleaner than you, your in the woods, on the A.T. , quite being primadonas.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by billyboy View Post
    Answer .... NO! I thank the Lord that there is only one of me! After HE saw how I turned out, HE destroyed the mold.
    Same here, he told me it was the QA dept.'s decision.

Quote Originally Posted by ProteinShake View Post
    1- Your not a dog lover 2- Your probably a crappy owner, not teaching your dog to be leash trained, or socialized at a young age, and leaving your dog outside, you might as well not even own a dog. 3- Your dog lives outside, he does have flees. As far as no dogs in shelters, if people don't mind go ahead, but if there is just one person that minds don't bring your dog in the shelter. You people have to realize, disease infested animals live in there when were not there. Rats, mice, etc.... The dogs are probably cleaner than you, your in the woods, on the A.T. , quite being primadonas.
    You don't know nothin.

Page 30 of 43 FirstFirst ... 20 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 40 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++