WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 4 of 29 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 14 ... LastLast

Trail Name: TBD
    Direction: NOBO
    Estimated Start Date: Late Feb - First week of March
    Approach Trail: Yes
    Additional Info: I "WILL" finish the AT thru-hike NO MATTER WHAT! I can't wait to meet anybody and everybody doing the same.

Trail Name: Easy Gone
    Estimated Start Date: Early Feb
    Approach Trail: Mabye

Feb 2009 is my year

Bare Bear
    NOBO Springer start, the hell with that approach trail. It do not count and I did it once and that was enough.
    March 15th ??? Depending on the weather as always.
    Going slow and easy this time, 10-15 MPD max.
    For those that know me....obviously my April week of Hiker Feed at Stecoah Gap will be without me in 09. Perhaps Willow, Mummy Toes or another 06er will take it over for me.

I'll be there along with a few other friends and i cant wait to see you again squid and everybody else until then do what you do! Cuatro

Trail Name: TBD
    Estimated Start Date: Feb/ Early March

Can't Wait!!!!

Default Hiking the trail April 09

AT
    northbound
    start: approx april 1 09

i am looking to start the trail in april 09. i have wanted to do it for so long, but i have never had an ideal time. bills, jobs, school and everything else gets in the way. i am already 23 yrs old and i have been thinking about doing the thru hike since i was about 19. i guess one thing that is holding me back is being able to do the whole trail by myself and not being scared of serial killers, bears and being in anyway unprepared to deal with any give situation myself. i have been doing a lot of research to prepare myself. i am in good physical condition, i know i am ready mentally. i need to get enough money together and start investing in my gear. i guess its conforting knowing that a lot of ppl are starting northbound in march and april and i wont be completely alone.

stick man nobo 21 march 2009 approach trail yes

May you live all the days of your Life - J. Swift

Default It's official...

Trail Name: awaiting a shiney new one for this hike
    Direction: GA - ME
    Start Date : second week of March-ish
    Approach trail: I had no idea whether or not you did the approach trail was a big deal...I'll probibly play that one by ear when the time comes.

I can't wait. March seems like an eternity away, but I'm sure it'll creep up fast. I'm so excited and the only thing that chills me out is researching gear!!! Does that make me a nerd?

Default 10 Years in Planning

Trailname: FireyFox
    NOBO
    Starting Date: March 12, My Birthday
    Definately will be hiking the Approach trail my other half will be doing it with me in Support!!

Trail Name: CRS
    Start Date: March 1st

Will be on the trail with my fiance Lops - can't wait to see you all!

Trail Name: Waiting to earn one
    Direction: Northbound
    Estimated Start Date: March to April, depending on if I go solo or get a hiking partner
    Approach Trail - yes or no?: Depends on the ride I can get...
    any additional info that you want the world to know: Plan time into your schedule to volunteer on the trail. I spent 2 months in college volunteering doing trail work with the ATC and met many former thruhikers, section hikers and people just wanting to spend some time outside. The thruhikers and section hikers all told me the same thing: The AT is about the community. Give back to your community, don't just use it for six months and never come back or give back. While you are prepping now, consider volunteering for a week on the MidAtlantic crew this fall. You'll meet a lot of great people who've done it before. Plus there is no better way to appreciate all those miles we will slog over than spending 3 weeks working on a relocation of a mile of the AT.

I'm a recent college grad from UNC and live in North Carolina. And boy am I so excited about planning and doing this hike.

NOBO JUNE start approach trail yes. 60 to 90 days unsupported.

Not all who wander are lost...

Default Now or never...

Trail Name: I'll get one when I'm out there...
    Direction: NOBO baby!
    Estimated Start Date: Early March
    Approach Trail: Probably not, though I'll just go with the flow when i get there.
    Any Additional Info That You Want the World to Know: Well, me and my friend, Maverick, have committed ourselves to the craziness that is a thru hike, and we couldn't be more excited! We are both in college and we know that we have to commit to a thru hike now before society takes us away forever. We both found a way to "stay in school" and hike too! We are getting credits for a field study and directed study of our choice! We are just so excited to be able to do both the trail and school. I definitely recommend that as an idea for any of you college students who think that school might interfere with your trip or vise versa!

Can't wait to meet y'all out there!

Quote Originally Posted by Holls View Post
    Trail Name: I'll get one when I'm out there...
    Direction: NOBO baby!
    Estimated Start Date: Early March
    Approach Trail: Probably not, though I'll just go with the flow when i get there.
    Any Additional Info That You Want the World to Know: Well, me and my friend, Maverick, have committed ourselves to the craziness that is a thru hike, and we couldn't be more excited! We are both in college and we know that we have to commit to a thru hike now before society takes us away forever. We both found a way to "stay in school" and hike too! We are getting credits for a field study and directed study of our choice! We are just so excited to be able to do both the trail and school. I definitely recommend that as an idea for any of you college students who think that school might interfere with your trip or vise versa!

Can't wait to meet y'all out there!
    Credits for a hike!? That's great! How'd you pull that one off?

Not all who wander are lost...

Well, I am putting myself through college and I need to stay in school because I'm on scholarship and i have grants etc. So I needed to make sure that those awards would not be terminated due to taking a semester (actually 2 semesters b/c in Florida they require you to take summer classes) off. I am a communications major, and in that major i am required to take 12 semester hours of either a field study, directed study, or internship. So i talked to one of my professors, and she was willing to help me make the hike a legitimate field for studying "identity"...And actually, it's to the school's advantage because i will still be paying tuition, but i will not actually be in the classroom. (this will also help with expenses for the hike because i actually get paid more from scholarships and whatnot than tuition costs.) I suppose this might be more difficult to pull off if your major is engineering or something...But yeah, I suppose I just found a may to manipulate my major's requirements, and make it legit. I had to do A LOT of talking and persuading to a lot of people to make it happen though...The trick is to not give up if one person tells you that the school does not allow that sort of option. If i didn't like what one adviser or professor was telling me, i would just move on until i found someone who was telling what i wanted to hear. There are professors that will support you and work with you, you just have to find them.

Trail Name- Juho
    Direction-North(solo hike)
    Estimated Start Date-March 8th
    Approach Trail -if my helicopter drop misses the summit on springer, then yup : )

see yuh on da trail eh!!

Quote Originally Posted by Holls View Post
    Well, I am putting myself through college and I need to stay in school because I'm on scholarship and i have grants etc. So I needed to make sure that those awards would not be terminated due to taking a semester (actually 2 semesters b/c in Florida they require you to take summer classes) off. I am a communications major, and in that major i am required to take 12 semester hours of either a field study, directed study, or internship. So i talked to one of my professors, and she was willing to help me make the hike a legitimate field for studying "identity"...And actually, it's to the school's advantage because i will still be paying tuition, but i will not actually be in the classroom. (this will also help with expenses for the hike because i actually get paid more from scholarships and whatnot than tuition costs.) I suppose this might be more difficult to pull off if your major is engineering or something...But yeah, I suppose I just found a may to manipulate my major's requirements, and make it legit. I had to do A LOT of talking and persuading to a lot of people to make it happen though...The trick is to not give up if one person tells you that the school does not allow that sort of option. If i didn't like what one adviser or professor was telling me, i would just move on until i found someone who was telling what i wanted to hear. There are professors that will support you and work with you, you just have to find them.

That's good to hear that your persistence payed off. Congrats, I hope you have a great hike!

Trail Name: Free Bird
    Estimated Start: April 1, 2009
    Approach: Sure

Looking forward to meeting everyone and enjoying this experience. This has been in planning for several years and 2009 is the year to spring into action. Hiking the AT is a college graduation gift to myself.

Any good advice?

Default I am so ready . . .

Trail Name: Mister Bow Willow or TBD
    Estimated Start: March 15, 2009
    Approach: Yes

I figured I'd have to wait until I retired but asked for a leave of absence and got it! 8 months -- can't wait!

Default Sure...

Quote Originally Posted by Free bird View Post
    Trail Name: Free Bird
    Estimated Start: April 1, 2009
    Approach: Sure

Looking forward to meeting everyone and enjoying this experience. This has been in planning for several years and 2009 is the year to spring into action. Hiking the AT is a college graduation gift to myself.

Any good advice?
    Spend about 200 hours reading on this website. Watch some AT movies, read at least one well-done (e.g., non-Bryson) book on the AT, and get a guidebook ASAP.

Page 4 of 29 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 14 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++