WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Sabbatical... APPROVED!

So, I am bursting with news, and I just have to tell someone. Nothing better than an essentially anonymous forum!

Just had my yearly salary review. Went real well, all was good. Okay, nervous here. So I ask "Have you ever heard of the Appalachian trail?" "I've heard OF it." So I explain that my wife and I want to hike GA to ME, takes about 6-7 months, and we'll need a few weeks at either end, so 8 months. "Sure, I think that is great!" So, there you go! Sabbatical granted! So, march 2005 here we come! YIPPIE! I had actually already gotten approval from a previous manager, but there was a reorg, and I really didn't know how this guy was going to respond. He was very positive "We all have things in our lives that we HAVE to do."

Totally stoked!

Gravity Man (who will be changing his trail name...)

And even though it drives me nuts, I think this is the occassion for...

Congrats! But careful - after my sabbatical I wasn't able to bring myself to go back.

Wow! I can hear your excitement. My husband and I hope to be out there in 2005 as well. Happy planning.

That is FANTASTIC! I must say, I'm a little jealous...good for you. Wow, how are you gonna survive 2004, the a-n-t-c-i-p-a-t-i-o-n
    "You're never too old to become what you might have been." - George Eliot

Quote Originally Posted by jojo0425
    That is FANTASTIC! I must say, I'm a little jealous...good for you. Wow, how are you gonna survive 2004, the a-n-t-c-i-p-a-t-i-o-n
    It's going to be tough, but we have plans to keep ourselves sane (easier for me 'cause I like my job, and it is very challenging. My wife is bored with her job, but she's the one earning us the money to hike, so she has to keep working! My money just keeps us alive with a house over our heads).

Currently we are training for a marathon to make sure my wife's feet hold up (she has neuromas in her forefoot) with the new insoles. So far so good. Longest run to date was 11 miles, and no problems other than some hip pain. I strongly recommend training for a marathon to test out our body for a long distance hike. Marathon is in May.

Then in July we are going to take three weeks to hike the remaining section of the colorado trail (from Leadville to Durango.) Three weeks might not be enough to finish, but it will be a good training test. Again, test our the wife's feet, and some new gear.

After that, we don't know what we are going to do. We're thinking about another marathon that would have to happen in December. There is always the Disney marathon in Jan... Anyway, something to keep us in shape. Our biggest fear is that we will get a new physical problem that will keep us from finishing. Hence the over-training

Gravity Man

PS Did I mention reading Trail Journals and posting like mad on Whiteblaze

Which marathon you running in May? I ran my first marathon (NYC) in 2002, it was the BOMB!
    Good luck to you on that, there's nothing like running 26 miles, 385 yards in a few (or couple) hours.
    Have a great year dreaming of 2005
    "You're never too old to become what you might have been." - George Eliot

LT '79; AT '73-'14 in sections; Donating Member Kerosene's Avatar
    Images

Gravity Man, you have one understanding employer. Usually you need to undertake a project related to your professional development to get a sabbatical approved. I would love to get one, but my position makes it highly unlikely that I'd get a comparable job when I returned. Make the most of it!
    GA←↕→ME: 1973 to 2014

Quote Originally Posted by jojo0425
    Which marathon you running in May? I ran my first marathon (NYC) in 2002, it was the BOMB!
    Good luck to you on that, there's nothing like running 26 miles, 385 yards in a few (or couple) hours.
    Have a great year dreaming of 2005
    My wife and I will be running in the Ft. Collins Marathon (Colorado). It's almost entirely down hill! It is suppose to be a very fast course. We are pretty excited. About 1/3 of the way through the training right now. It's a pretty major goal. It's nice to have these "Peak experiences" lined up over the next few years (run marathon, hike CT, hike from GA to ME). It gives us something to look forward to. I don't know what other people do to enjoy life... I can't imagine anything else

As for my job being so understanding, it is amazing. I really wasn't prepared for such a positive response. I am an optical engineer for an Aerospace company. Part of what made it easy is the fact that everything is program oriented, so when a program ends, you can take some time off. The bad part is, if there isn't another program to go too... well.. ya know... I also have a very good reputation here because I took over a difficult position with no training, and made a huge success out of it. Also helps that I took the position over from the now head of the dept, who said at the time that "he owes me one." But the real reason I think that they gave me the sabbatical is because it's boulder, co. People do NOT live to work. They definitely work to live. Everyone has a hobby here that consumes them (my fuctional's is Iron Mans).

Of course, there is a chance that when I get back, there will be no work. But that is a risk I am willing to take. At least if there is work, I know they will be happy to keep me on. I will have to pay my own healthcare, etc.

Gravity Man

Images

Congratulations! It's awesome that you are going to live your sabbatical to its fullest.

I was fortunate enough to work for a company that offered an 8 week sabbatical to all employees for every ten years of service. This leave could be expanded to 12 weeks if the 4 weeks of vacation were attached.

For me, 12 weeks would not be sufficient to complete a thru-hike. However, I did enjoy spending 7 weeks exploring the National Parks of the West and 5 weeks camping in Alaska.

One thing, though. That Sunday night before your first day back at work is a tough one!

Enjoy!
    "Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt." Abraham Lincoln

"If this is coffee, please bring me some tea; but if this is tea, please bring me some coffee." Abraham Lincoln

My husband and I might see you there then. We are hoping to start around the beginning of March, if not sooner.

We are quitting our jobs (may not be able to get sabbaticals) and putting everything in storage.

We are going through the VISA process for him right now, so that is our biggest concern. I am originally from Florida, but hubby is Welsh.

That's great news though!!

++ New Posts ++