WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default What do you do/see when you visit DC?

Have a day/night to spend in DC on the way to Harpers Ferry. Anybody got any favorite things to do/see? Will be staying around the mall/old Post Office.

I was in DC about three weeks ago, I suggest you take the "Tour Mobile" it takes you to all the monuments and museums, great tour. My favorite stops, Air and Space, Lincoln, Vietnam, WWII, Washington Jefferson monuments. Arlington Cemetery tour if you have time.

There are also a lot of smaller and specialty museums in the District, so if you have a special interest such as architecture, postal service, African or Russian art, the Holocaust, or pre-Columbian art, they might be more manageable and meaningful in your limited amount of time than the bigger museums. There are other smaller museums like the Phillips Collection and the Corcoran. If you choose to go to bigger museums, plan what you want to see, such as the large Matisses at the National Gallery. On the weekends some of the museums may be crowded.

If you have never been there before, you certainly want to walk along the Mall and experience the city itself, the relation between the streets and major buildings and monuments, buzz up a few avenues and around a few traffic circles, maybe at night--do a little research on Pierre L'Enfant and the planning of D.C. The subway is efficient and there are busses but walking is the best method of getting around in the main tourist areas.

Georgetown is also nice and you can see the beginning of the canal and eat, but it is very touristy even for a touristy town.

If you go over to Arlington, don't miss Robert E. Lee's house. Going up to the zoo and cathedral is also nice, and there is also the arboretum, but it may be too out of the way unless you are really interested in that.

If you have never been there before, see the Vietnam Memorial, Korean War Memorial, and the Museum of American History. These ar all located along the Mall and are accessible by the Washington Metro (subway) to the Mall station. At night, you might want to take a walk by the Senate building.
    Grumpy Ol' Pops

Hold onto dreams, for if dreams die, life is like a broken winged bird that cannot fly.

Typical touristy stuff during the day; Irelands Own (I think that was the name -- 20 years ago) pub at night in Gtown.

Default What do you do/see when you visit DC?

Whenever I pass by DC, I make a quick visit to the Vietnam Veteran Memorial, the 1st Infantry Division Memorial and ArlingtonNationalCemetery.

We lived there for four years....and never saw it all....Focus on what YOU like. Paintings and the arts? See the Galleries. Architechture? See Mount Vernon (not far south), or Gunston Hall, Pohick Church. Like history? History museum. Air and Space? the two buildings (one out at Dullas).
    For a couple of bucks, get a weird haircut and waste your life away Bryan Adams....
    Hammock hangs are where you go into the woods to meet men you've only known on the internet so you can sit around a campfire to swap sewing tips and recipes. - sargevining on HF

I guess what I was asking for was that favorite/unexpected treat. We were wandering around (lost?........... hold your fire I had a map ) just looking at things and came across " The Jewish American Muesum of (some military history). Kinda neat. Was just wondreing if anybody had some place like that.

I did the exact same thing last year. I went to a Nationals baseball game, then at night I walked around the Mall. It wasnt hot and there wasnt a lot of people.

One half block South of 12th and Pennsylvania Ave. Right across from the Metro station, all about two blocks away from the Old Post Office is a bike rental place. It appears you're not really there for a long time at all. Maybe a brief bicycling overview, and poping in to things that interest you, is the ticket.

Can't edit....Locks, waterbottle, helmet all come with the bike.

The monuments at night is pretty cool, esp FDR. Be sure to bring a water bottle - summer in DC is very humid and at night there is nothing open and no water fountatins (yes, this is the voice of experience!)

There's a cool statue of Einstien down by the Lincoln Memorial.

Also, I believe the American History Museum is closed for renovations.

The Smithsonian Metro stop will bring you to the heart of the mall.

I stumbled across a mircobrewery that sold small glasses that allowed you to sample several different brews.

Quote Originally Posted by max patch View Post
    I stumbled across a mircobrewery that sold small glasses that allowed you to sample several different brews.
    Where? Nice place? Anywhere between Dupont Circle and the Mall? We may be walking up that way ( 17th and R ) for dinner.

Quote Originally Posted by daibutsu View Post
    One half block South of 12th and Pennsylvania Ave. Right across from the Metro station, all about two blocks away from the Old Post Office is a bike rental place. It appears you're not really there for a long time at all. Maybe a brief bicycling overview, and poping in to things that interest you, is the ticket.
    Had not thought of bikes. Thanks. It would be a way to see more.

If you have transportation go down to Quantico and visit the National Museum Of The Marine Corps. It's a fantastic place like no other. Aside from that try to get to the weekly Friday evening demonstration of the silent drill team at Washington's Marine Corps Headquaters at 8th & I street N.E.

Images

See two things that will move you more than you've ever been moved, deep into your soul. First, the Wall. Then, when your eyes dry, the Holocaust Museum. Then, when you've finished there, go a block and just sit on the Mall and celebrate the lives you see before you.

TW
    "Thank God! there is always a Land of Beyond, For us who are true to the trail..." --- Robert Service

ww2 memorial, the arboretum

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Grumpy Ol' Pops View Post
    At night, you might want to take a walk by the Senate building.
    In the Hart Senate office building there is a great Alexander Calder sculpture called Mountains and Clouds. I did an internship up there and got see it twice a day coming and going to work.

To really compress your day, and this is a rare secret and hugely popular route I do, with easy modification for you is: Rent the bikes at 12th and Penn. (supra.) Head immediately East to White House, you're already on Pennsylvania Ave anyhow. From there go south pretty much at Washington Monument. Head right, (West,) Lincoln and Vietnam Monument, Korean War, Nurses... WWII. Head back East across Mall You'll see Jefferson Monument, Tidal Basin, etc. on your right. Keep going up to the Capitol then along to Eastern Market area. You'll se the Lib of Congress, the House Offices, etc. Follow signs, real easy. ( this is all inside of maybe 1.5 -2 miles... Go to 8th St. Lots of new nice restaurants. Marine Barracks area. Head due South to Navy Yard. No gate there, but two blocks to your right ( back West) there is. You'll have to show ID and wear your helmet to ride in. Go to Navy museum across the lot is USS Barry WWII (about) ship. This museum is FANTASTIC, free, and so is the USS Barry. Don't tell anyone.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++