WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Source for 9" aluminum spikes

Does anyone have an online source for 9 inch aluminum gutter spikes that would be used for tarp stakes. I had a set that came with my McCat tarp but they were lost when lent to my wife. Home depot and Lowes have 7" aluminum spikes but not the 9". Larger sizes can be found in galvanized but they are too heavy. I did a fairly exhaustive google search. Any ideas?

Images

You might try contacting a local business that installs aluminum gutters.

Images

Home Depot, Lowes, and good hardware stores sometimes sell aluminum rod in 3 foot lengths. You could make some tent stakes easy enough with a hack saw and a course file. Just cut a length a little longer than you want the stake and make a 90 degree bend so you wind up with a 1/2 "head" on it. Then file a point on the other end.

Quote Originally Posted by LIhikers View Post
    Home Depot, Lowes, and good hardware stores sometimes sell aluminum rod in 3 foot lengths. You could make some tent stakes easy enough with a hack saw and a course file. Just cut a length a little longer than you want the stake and make a 90 degree bend so you wind up with a 1/2 "head" on it. Then file a point on the other end.
    Excellent idea....what size rod are you using?

Images

While I've never used it for tent stakes, I have seen it in 1/16 of an inch increments from 1/8th of an inch to 3/8ths of an inch.

This company manufactures them.

http://www.clendeninbrothers.com/Nails/nails.html
    “Only two things are infinite; The universe and human stupidity,
    And I’m starting to wonder about the universe.”
    Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by wallace View Post
    Does anyone have an online source for 9 inch aluminum gutter spikes that would be used for tarp stakes. I had a set that came with my McCat tarp but they were lost when lent to my wife. Home depot and Lowes have 7" aluminum spikes but not the 9". Larger sizes can be found in galvanized but they are too heavy. I did a fairly exhaustive google search. Any ideas?
    http://www.nwbackpack.com/products/s...pack_48298.php

First idea is to change to 7" gutter spikes. Unless it's an unusual situation, 7" will work just fine.

Second, I've bought them (7") previously at the local lumber yards. They sell them individually and without the ferrells. (Our local Home Depot only sells them with ferells)

I got about 80 (7-inch) of them for free. I helped tare down a log home and all the gutter spikes were mine for the taking.

Images

Did you contact Brian (the guy who makes the MacCat)? He used to sell the 9 inch stake sets separately.
    A bad day on the trail beats a good day most anywhere else.

Images

Default angle stock

Quote Originally Posted by LIhikers View Post
    bending that stock even with heat in difficult to keep it from cracking. concider small rightangle stock. about the same weight and better in sandy soil, i just dont like the sharp ends on them.

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Peaks View Post
    First idea is to change to 7" gutter spikes. Unless it's an unusual situation, 7" will work just fine.

Second, I've bought them (7") previously at the local lumber yards. They sell them individually and without the ferrells. (Our local Home Depot only sells them with ferells)
    I agree, also concider the titanium pack or aluminum sand hogs. 9" isn't an important issue.
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Images

I install rain gutters and we come across them all the time when we tear off existing gutters. If you call or go by your local gutter company I am sure the guys will help you out.
    "Shut up and keep walking"

Seems to me that it would be easier to check a Campmor catalogue. They got all kinds of tent stakes.

Quote Originally Posted by Just Jack View Post
    Seems to me that it would be easier to check a Campmor catalogue. They got all kinds of tent stakes.

At this point, it is the challenge of finding them. I could have ordered a set from Brian at McCat or I could have used some tent stake. But once I couldn't find a generic source for something I know exists, it obsessed me. I liked the spikes because they were light and easy to drive in. I am going to try the 7" ones I picked up at Home Depot.

Quote Originally Posted by Just Jack View Post
    I use them because they were free. Actually less then free as I got paid to take them out of the home we were tearing down.

If you need more holding power, you can use the same hacksaw and file to make some "V" cross-sectioned stakes from aluminum corner stock available at hardware stores.
    As I live, declares the Lord God, I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that the wicked turn back from his way and live. Ezekiel 33:11

++ New Posts ++