WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

My daughter and I were having this conversation yesterday while out hiking and discussing our upcoming JMT hike. We plan to swim as often as possible. That's something I didn't do nearly enough of in '06. I also have a GSI dualist cooking system that includes a small sink that the pot sits in. My kid is going to prolly bring a few ounces of Dr. Bronners and use a few drops here & there - and rinse with a bandanna. I HATE the idea of soap in the backcounty, and don't personally carry it or advocate for it. So I emphasized the need to use only a COUPLE OF DROPS of a biodegradable soap - well away from any water sources. She was puzzled at first - but she gets it.

On a long hike, hygiene is not just to avoid smelling bad. It also helps prevent problems such as chafing, athletes foot, and rotten teeth.

Images

Default First time only

Quote Originally Posted by tucker0104 View Post
    Does anyone bring that special soap that they sell in the 4oz bottles? The DR brommers or something like that?
    I bought some and brought it, but didn't really like it so I sent it home. Now I just buy a pack of wipes in each town when I resupply. I like to use one before I go to bed to get the grime off.

Quote Originally Posted by WalkingStick75 View Post
    Bandana and stream whenever I can, swim when conditions permit, lots of soap and water when I find a shower.

My wife says I carry that trail odor when I get home, little does she know she did too, if you hike you stink! Women don't burp or fart either
    Women do snore, burp, sweat, or pass gas. Therefore, we must bitch or we will blow up...

Images

Quote Originally Posted by kanga View Post
    Women do snore, burp, sweat, or pass gas. Therefore, we must bitch or we will blow up...
    I want the farter version.

Quote Originally Posted by mudhead View Post
    I want the farter version.
    Women do not snore, burp, sweat, or fart. Therefore, we must bitch or we will blow up....

Happy?

Women do not snore, burp, sweat, or fart. Therefore, we must bitch or we will blow up....

Happy?
    So thats why.........

Quote Originally Posted by woodsy View Post
    So thats why.........
    now ya know! also, just for the record, we always smell like roses. even while hiking...

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf View Post
    yeah well i went to a musical festival last week and there was no lack of dread headed, nasty-ass filthy chicks in attendance. they think patchouli oil smells good
    I'm missing Bonnaroo this year for my section hike. Oh well, I think I'd rather be in the mountains.

bonnaroo isn't a festival, it's a zoo.

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf View Post
    bonnaroo isn't a festival, it's a zoo.
    Damn its fun though.

I rarely carried or used any soap of any kind figuring it is sorta a wilderness.......
    I did wash out my shirt every time I could which seemed to help. If I got to camp too early I did wash all clothes in water alone and wring them out. I double washed them in town.
    I carried lots of single use alcohol wipes which I used nightly for personal hygiene.

Images

Mmm, back in the day my ex must not have bitched enough. Woke herself up with a blast that I'd have been proud of, then blamed me.

No roses in that one.

Hike the AT you will.

Happy?
    :-O

it's like i've awoken from a coma and now know the secret to life.

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by mudhead View Post
    I resemble that.

I stink, therefore I am.
    Uh Huh, find a deep pot hole down a creek, bandanna or even better a camp sham-my.

Kanga that just isn't right.... what happened to Ladies? My My, Click here at your own risk

Kumar
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J3oAjBwteHo
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Quote Originally Posted by Wise Old Owl View Post
    Uh Huh, find a deep pot hole down a creek, bandanna or even better a camp sham-my.

Kanga that just isn't right.... what happened to Ladies? My My, Click here at your own risk

Kumar
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J3oAjBwteHo
    why? why did i just click on that? WHY?!!!

Default Tmi!

[quote=Footslogger;635787]
    Quote Originally Posted by ChinMusic View Post
    I'll bet I could make it stink
    Overshare!

Happy?
    Seems like I've heard this one before. Most likely from my wife or two daughters.

Please tell me yall aren't all in the same group that promote the use of a bandana to filter your drinking water as well...

Baby wipes &/or bandana in the creek...
    Nah, seriously, I just use water and my bandana every night...
    Washed up with bandanna w/o soap every night once it was warm.
    Bandana baths at the end of the day and baking soda.
    Bandana and stream whenever I can,
    cuz if you are, the question becomes, how "clean" can one really keep a bandana on the trail???
    "...Though the road may wind, yea, your hearts grow weary, still shall ye follow them, even unto your salvation." -Blind Seer, O Brother, Where Art Thou?

Quote Originally Posted by warraghiyagey View Post
    How did you get in to the Michigan Womyn's Festival??? I've been tryig to do that for years!!!!!!!!!!
    I have to ask how does a properly motivated man even know about a gathering of she-coon man-haters?

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
++ New Posts ++