WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5

There are some people whose noses work extremely well and can sniff a smelly hiker from two states away. There are other people whose noses don't work at all - that would be me - and wouldn't be care if they slept next to a skunk in heat.

So whether a person smells good or bad is unique to different people: Unlike bears we, as humans, rely much more on our credit history then our sense of smell to provide our big four needs: Food, water, shelter and a wireless connection.

Me?

I bring a small towel, small-sized deodorant, small toothbrush and small toothpaste with me. Sometimes I even use them.
    Last edited by Knee Jerk; 03-04-2018 at 17:03.
    "Never fart in your sleeping bag."

I bring a cooling towel and use it also for sponging off (after walking a little ways from the stream). Travel toothbrush and paste. Then catch the first available shower.

Sponge bath every day after I smelled a dead rat in my sleeping bag. NO idea where it came from. Had disappeared when I looked for it.

I go the whole route: shower attachment for MSR Dromedary, I carry two Ti pans(also so I can make desert and dinner without cleaning a pan first) to heat water, medium size trail towel, multipurpose tyvek tarp(ground cloth, rain cover for vestibule, etc) to shower on for clean feet(I have used gathered rocks and wood)instead of dealing with a self made mud puddle, emergency cordage is used to hang the dromedary, and of course biodegradable soap.

I find after a day of hiking in summer heat a shower not only washes away the caked and glued on grime but a lot of fatigue too, makes sleeping feel almost sinfully luxurious, keeps sleeping gear and clothes cleaner. And also gives me a chance to rinse or even wash clothes away from a water source.
    Everything is used for multiple things...so while not the lightest possible setup, the extra weight is just small increases in things I'd carry anyway...heavier water container, extra fuel, more soap.

Journal Entries

I find one good shower a week works.

Thats substantially more than people have had throughout human history....

Quote Originally Posted by steady123 View Post
    Sponge bath every day after I smelled a dead rat in my sleeping bag. NO idea where it came from. Had disappeared when I looked for it.
    LOL! Did ya check yer shoe(s)?? Probably ran and hid in one of yer shoes. Sometimes they'll hide there when yer not look'n.. 'Specially after some days of rain, lol

u.w.

Quote Originally Posted by steady123 View Post
    prolly crawled up yur *** and died, it’s from eatin’ all that trail food

Quote Originally Posted by tucker0104 View Post
    Does anyone bring that special soap that they sell in the 4oz bottles? The DR brommers or something like that?
    I'm planning to.

Baby wipes for the bum. Hand sanitizer on wipe for the pits, leg creases, between the toes, hands and face. Bring floss, brush and paste for teeth. Once a day wash the feet in a creek if possible. Good Foot hygiene is very underrated.

"Well sure. You have a real good one when you finish the shove up north, like at the hotel in Alfred. Then one or two in the winter if you don't catch your death. Then a couple in the spring and one more good one before you start the shove up again."

Will Penny's answer to the question if he ever bathes.

I shower daily in warm weather.

Heat and gross go hand in hand - if I'm sweating a lot from hiking, I'll shower daily after setting up camp (usually wild). Reduces the bugs; keeps my camp wear, sleeping bag, etc. cleaner; and just feels so much better while relaxing and sleeping (main reason for me).

I use my dirty Sawyer bag, ~1L unfiltered water, and a Smartwater bottle cap with a few small holes drilled into it as my Navy shower; a small amount of unscented Dr Bronner's; bandanna towel; and just stand on boulder naked - then change into my cleanish camp wear. Extra weight: 1 gram for the 'shower head' + 2 lbs extra water between last water source and looking for wild campsite (usually <0.5 mile).

As temps drops (sweat less), I'll shower less often, perhaps need to warm water on the stove, or go to bandanna sponge baths, or bandanna wet wipes (diluted Everclear stove fuel), but I'll still use the shower to shampoo hair occasionally (bend over while fully clothed) as long as it's above freezing.

When I've been hiking for a while I actually can smell the day hikers coming before I can hear them sometimes. I can't stand my own reek after hiking so I do a few things:

- Dude body wipe (1 x day @ about .7 oz ea)
    - .5 oz travel size deodorant (yes, I still stink but I don't have that foul ammonia reek)
    - 1 oz travel size Gold Bond powder for feet and hair before I go to bed

Yes, it adds about 4-5 oz to my pack weight but in addition to stink relief it also helps reduce skin issues (chafing and rashes) which I am prone to if I don't take care of myself. YMMV.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jayne View Post
    When I've been hiking for a while I actually can smell the day hikers coming before I can hear them sometimes. I can't stand my own reek after hiking so I do a few things:

- Dude body wipe (1 x day @ about .7 oz ea)
    - .5 oz travel size deodorant (yes, I still stink but I don't have that foul ammonia reek)
    - 1 oz travel size Gold Bond powder for feet and hair before I go to bed

Yes, it adds about 4-5 oz to my pack weight but in addition to stink relief it also helps reduce skin issues (chafing and rashes) which I am prone to if I don't take care of myself. YMMV.
    I always have deodorant too, for chafing. Works better than body glide for me and also obviously helps with the stank.
    I also keep a dry/clean bandana and a visine bottle of Dr. Bronners, just in case I get the opportunity to do a quick bathing. I keep a Sea to Summit bucket just for that purpose.
    " Of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt. "

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5
++ New Posts ++