WhiteBlaze Pages 2022
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
$5 for printable PDF, AVAILABLE NOW. $9 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Images

Default sobo gatherings?

Is there any events or festivals that southbounders can look forward to ,Like trail days for the northbounders.
    "Shut up and keep walking"

Images

Bennington VT had some sort of a hiker feed in late July, when the early SOBO's are coming thru. Not sure if they made this an annual event.

Some SOBO's come to the Gathering also. It will be early October in West Virginia, so most SOBO's are around Harpers Ferry.

There may be some small unanounced trail magic for SOBo's, but nothing large scale like TD's or a Billville Feed. Just not enough SOBO's.
    Anything's within walking distance if you've got the time.
    GA-ME 03, LT 04/06, PCT 07'

Images

Default LT Festival

Long Trail Festival August 15 through 17. Rutland, VT

Last year was the first and hopefully the first of many. A really classy, free, gathering. Good music, food, demonstrations and presentations.

http://www.longtrailfestivalvt.com/
    Everyone has a photographic memory. Not everyone has film.

Quote Originally Posted by dragonfeet View Post
    Is there any events or festivals that southbounders can look forward to ,Like trail days for the northbounders.
    not really. SOBOs are out there to hike, they're not out there for trail feeds and such

Images

Going to The Gathering while you're hiking is really nice. You'll run into people you saw early on, but haven't seen since, and people who have been ahead of you the whole way, and some people who are behind you. The Gathering is not much at all like Trail Days, but then going SOBO is not much like going NOBO, as far as I can tell.
    If not NOW, then WHEN?

ME>GA 2006
    http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?trailname=3277

Instagram hiking photos: five.leafed.clover

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf View Post
    not really. SOBOs are out there to hike, they're not out there for trail feeds and such
    Well said LW.

Images

I plan on going to the gathering this year if I can get a ride from whereever (VA?)

Quote Originally Posted by Red Hat View Post
    I plan on going to the gathering this year if I can get a ride from whereever (VA?)
    Put a post up on the Ride Board and you might get a lift.
    "Sleepy alligator in the noonday sun
    Sleepin by the river just like he usually done
    Call for his whisky
    He can call for his tea
    Call all he wanta but he can't call me..."
    Robert Hunter & Ron McKernan

Whiteblaze.net User Agreement.

Images

Don't be an ass Lonely Wolf I am sure nobo's are not doing it for the hiker feeds either. I mean damn it would have to be one hell of a spread to justify walking a few hundred miles just to get there. I just thought it would add to the experience.
    "Shut up and keep walking"

Quote Originally Posted by dragonfeet View Post
    Don't be an ass Lonely Wolf I am sure nobo's are not doing it for the hiker feeds either. I mean damn it would have to be one hell of a spread to justify walking a few hundred miles just to get there. I just thought it would add to the experience.
    i'm not lonely honey. i'm a smartass. you'll grow to love me. but do avoid hiker feeds. way too many packsniffin wannabes staring at you when you eat

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

I love hiker feeds. I love the people that put on hiker feeds. Hiker feeds rock! Can't wait to do the entire AT in 2011 just for more hiker feeds... (!!!)

Anyway, everyone SOBO was heading for Bennngton VT last year for some hiker fest. That was THE thing. I didn't even know it existed. But all the SOBOs do. SOBOS have a different trail culture and mindset all to their own. They also have it a lot tougher, I think. But I credit them for warning me all about Maine...ugh.

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

Registered User hammock engineer's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Blissful View Post
    I love hiker feeds. I love the people that put on hiker feeds. Hiker feeds rock! Can't wait to do the entire AT in 2011 just for more hiker feeds... (!!!)

Anyway, everyone SOBO was heading for Bennngton VT last year for some hiker fest. That was THE thing. I didn't even know it existed. But all the SOBOs do. SOBOS have a different trail culture and mindset all to their own. They also have it a lot tougher, I think. But I credit them for warning me all about Maine...ugh.

Wow, I didn't see a single feed or hear of one within a couple weeks to forever anywhere I was at. As a southbounder I wouldn't expect much or any trail charity. The cooler at the 2000 togo where the northbounders were complaining about southbounders taking their trail magic, the sodas in the stream in VT that the guy does every year, some random things infront of houses south of Hanover, and random beers twice that someone left at a shelter were all I came across. Can't say I think I missed much.

Oh and Blissful I remember passing you and Paul last year in the whites. It was just north of Zealand Falls. That's awesome that you are going to hike again in a couple years.

Default Franklin, NC Christmas Party

On Dec 1 last year Ron Haven in Franklin hosted a Christmas Party of sorts, and there were 10 SOBOs there, so we joked that it was a SOBO traildays (hey, 10 SOBOs in one place is a lot of SOBOs!).

Registered User hammock engineer's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by rasudduth View Post
    On Dec 1 last year Ron Haven in Franklin hosted a Christmas Party of sorts, and there were 10 SOBOs there, so we joked that it was a SOBO traildays (hey, 10 SOBOs in one place is a lot of SOBOs!).
    That's cool. There were 12 or so traveling around each other about 5 days or so ahead of me for awhile up in PA. I never could make up ground on them while they were all together.

Images

Default Really cool!

Quote Originally Posted by rasudduth View Post
    That sounds like so much fun! I hope to be near Franklin Dec 1 this year, so maybe we'll have a repeat...

++ New Posts ++