WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Suggestions for So. Apps Summer Flower Trip

i'm taking a group of friends (who've never experienced the Rhoddie/Azalea blooms) to East Tenn at the end of this month and am seeking 1-night hike suggestions. my faves are definitely the catawbas and we'd prefer to overnight at a campsite rather than a shelter. oh, and ruling out Gregory ... just got back from there a couple weeks ago(chased out of CS#13 by a BOLD bear).

does anyone know how the catawbas in the area are progressing thus far? most peak dates I've found say the 2nd or 3rd week of June. will we be too late? (sidebar: will the fireflies' season o' love still be going on at the end of June?)

i know the smokies well, and they're the easiest to access, but would appreciate any suggestions in the So. Apps.

thanks much.
    --casey

Quote Originally Posted by Ashepabst View Post
    i'm taking a group of friends (who've never experienced the Rhoddie/Azalea blooms) to East Tenn at the end of this month and am seeking 1-night hike suggestions. my faves are definitely the catawbas and we'd prefer to overnight at a campsite rather than a shelter. oh, and ruling out Gregory ... just got back from there a couple weeks ago(chased out of CS#13 by a BOLD bear).

does anyone know how the catawbas in the area are progressing thus far? most peak dates I've found say the 2nd or 3rd week of June. will we be too late? (sidebar: will the fireflies' season o' love still be going on at the end of June?)

i know the smokies well, and they're the easiest to access, but would appreciate any suggestions in the So. Apps.

thanks much.
    --casey
    Woman at MRNRA said they are blooming now and should peak this weekend and the week after. 1-800-628-7202

Roan Mountain is one of the best rhododendron displays anywhere. Grassy Ridge Bald just off the AT on Roan Mtn has a nice campsite with great rhodo and azalea displays. Also Gray Lilys. About 2&1/2 miles north of Carvers Gap.

Images

Default Peak rhododendrum dates

Here's a link http://www.roanmountain.com/ says a few interesting things for Roan Mtn area "Best bloom usually from June 18 - July 4.
    For up-to-the-minute report, call USDA Forest Service at 1-828-628-6146."

and "62nd Roan Mountain Rhododendron Festival will be Saturday-Sunday, June 21-22, 2008."

Mercy

what about Joyce Kilmer -- Bob's/Stratton Bald, Naked ground? has anyone made that trek in late June? Also, I've tried google-imaging Jenkins Meadow to no avail. can someone confirm: is this another bald? does it make for good camp?

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Ashepabst View Post
    what about Joyce Kilmer -- Bob's/Stratton Bald, Naked ground? has anyone made that trek in late June? Also, I've tried google-imaging Jenkins Meadow to no avail. can someone confirm: is this another bald? does it make for good camp?
    Tipi Walter is the guy you need to PM to find out about Citigo/Joyce Kilmer. he knows that area better than anyone around.
    If you don't make waves, it means you ain't paddling

Images

Joyce Kilmer/Slickrock and Citico are a great hike any time of year.
    Bob Bald like so many other southern balds is a shadow of itself but there is still a nice size clearing. This wouldn't be my first choice for a summer wildflower trip though. Jenkins Meadow trail was named long ago when there was a man made meadow that was used for grazing cattle. The meadow had grown over by the 1960's.

- The AT over Grassy Ridge from Carvers Gap, Round Bald, Jane Bald and then on to Grassy Ridge Bald would be a good bet. The flowers only add to the views. - I plan to make a couple trips up there this month.

The Art Loeb Trail off the Blue Ridge Parkway between Black Balsam and Shining Rock is a nice hike..I just spent a couple days hiking the ridge and the blooms haven't peaked out. http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/file...8/5/01_065.jpg

If you're interested North Carolina's Best Wildflower Hikes- The Mountains by Kevin Adams details 50 wildflower hikes in the mountains of WNC
    "Going to the woods is going home" - John Muir

"Only by going alone in silence, without baggage, can one truely get into the heart of the wilderness" - John Muir

++ New Posts ++