WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Images

Default Last minute suggestions?

Okay, so all of us who are heading SOBO this year are bored, and antsy, ready to go. Anyone with SOBO experience have some great advice for us? Something besides bring Deet?

i will be using no DEET
    " YOU'RE MAD!" "... Thank goodness for that, Because if I wasn't this would probably never work." AT thru hiker advice from CAPN jack sparrow

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Captain View Post
    i will be using no DEET
    Starting in September, eh?
    "That's the thing about possum innards - they's just as good the second day." - Jed Clampett

July 1st
    " YOU'RE MAD!" "... Thank goodness for that, Because if I wasn't this would probably never work." AT thru hiker advice from CAPN jack sparrow

Images

Guess I better bring enough for us both, lol. But you can't use my bug shirt!

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Red Hat View Post
    Guess I better bring enough for us both, lol.!
    You should be able to make enough to finance your entire hike by the time you reach Gorham if you gouge him on the price just a little.
    "That's the thing about possum innards - they's just as good the second day." - Jed Clampett

B vitamins make you sublimaly stink to everything that bites so they will stay away from me

Images

yeah right... how much hiking have you done? B vitamins don't even keep away Texas mosquitos, and certainly not Maine black flies... but, as they say, ignorance is bliss...

once i went to maine with the boyscout troop a high adventure week and i was cooling off in the lake then i was like " IM SHOT , OH GOD!" cuase this pair of horse sized flies apperently found me very tasty i did not leave my tent the rest of the night

Permethrin all your clothes and hats! It's worth it! Really helps with ticks! (sounds like you already have a shirt, but do socks, shorts, hat, shoes, anything you wear)

Gravity (a nobo, but no stranger to bugs).

Images

Thanks for that one, gravity. I have permethrin and will do it before I leave. As I understand, it lasts for only a week or so... Also, does permethrin go bad in the can? Mine is several years old....

what is that

Dont assume everyone was overemphasizing how "tough" the trail in Maine is by the first couple of days in the 100 mile wilderness. Hold off on the judgement until Monson and then reconsider the initial judgement when you hit the Maine line.

Images

i will be using no DEET
    July 1st
    yeah right... how much hiking have you done? B vitamins don't even keep away Texas mosquitos, and certainly not Maine black flies... but, as they say, ignorance is bliss...
    I think they sell bug spray at Abol Bridge.

Seems like the blackflies are petered out. (Watch, I'll get gnawed tomorrow.)

Peakbagger had an interesting comment.

Images

Thanks for that one, gravity. I have permethrin and will do it before I leave. As I understand, it lasts for only a week or so... Also, does permethrin go bad in the can? Mine is several years old....
    I have the same questions -- I have a can of permethrin that is several years old and never used. Getting ready to head out to central VA early Sunday morning for a week.

I can everything, right? Shoes, socks, shirt, shorts, rain shell, etc. -- no problem with synthetic fabrics or wool??

Thx.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

Images

Um, I think my last post needed a verb. How about "spray?"
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

Images

Quote Originally Posted by bigcranky View Post
    I have the same questions -- I have a can of permethrin that is several years old and never used. Getting ready to head out to central VA early Sunday morning for a week.

I can everything, right? Shoes, socks, shirt, shorts, rain shell, etc. -- no problem with synthetic fabrics or wool??

Thx.
    Sawyer says 4 year shelf life on their product but I usually figure those mfg's numbers are pretty conservative. If it's stable for 4 years it's probably good for at least 6. http://www.sawyerproducts.com/msds/M...4ozTrigger.PDF

I've only sprayed clothing for two years now - outerwear made of cotton, wool, poly and various nylon but haven't ever had a problem. I don't own any silk so I couldn't comment on that. They say to test on a small part of the fabric for a reaction if you're worried. I didn't spray my rain shell or pants as the stuff beads up and it won't soak into the fabric and bind with the fibers anyway. I just spray my boots/trail shoe uppers and cuffs, socks, shorts, pants, tee shirts, base layering, long sleeve shirt and hat. Some say not to spray underwear, but permethrin shouldn't be a problem against the skin once it's dried and bound to the clothing fibers. It isn't water soluable so sweat shouldn't dissolve it and it isn't absorbed well through the skin.

Be carful when applying it though as it is extremely toxic to aquatic life and bees.

And it isn't without some controvesy http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Permethrin

1. Put everything you plan on taking with together, everything that you are planning to take. Then take out 3 items to lighten your load. Start with the MINIMUM then add back luxury items at least somewhere South of Monson.

2. Recycle those nalgenes forever and buy 1L Gatorade or powerade bottles (they are lighter than nalgenes).

3. Your food bag will be really really heavy. Consider doing a 2-3 meal resupply (or more) at Whitehouse landing (expensive but worth getting the weight off your back). Plus the hiker box with have several things in it (the one at Shaw's will as well).

4. Take a zero day in Monson. You are not being wimpy by doing this. It will save your knees.

5. We craved a sugary drink after dinner (powdered gatorade or nuun works great), MusicMan after drinking mine every night finally started carrying it too.

6. Deet and a headnet

7. Aleve/Vit I/Tylenol - you can alternate them so you always have pain relieved but never overdose on one kind. Aleve worked sooooo much better for me than Vit. I. I am sad I did not discover it until VA. You will be too.

8. The Maine maps were our favorites of the whole trail. Best organized/most helpful elevation scale. Get a set of them.

9. Don't get mad at the NOBOs that aren't into chatting with you on trail when you start in Maine. You too will get the 2,000 mile stare by the end of your hike and be less talkative to section/day hikers.

10. If you do get a talkative NOBO, ask them where their favorite towns/stops/hostels/shelters were. Helpful info.

11. You will see a lot more people in the 100 mile wilderness (and Maine for that matter) than you expect.

THE END.

Images

Default good ideas

Great post Rasudduth, from one whose been there. That "100 miler" is a "bugger"....in places..and great in others. Once past Cooper Brook the swamps are left behind...
    Do one thing everyday...that makes you happy...

Something besides bring Deet?
    I hope you're staying two nights in Baxter, before and after your climb. I always recommend that plan to MEGAs.
    Go u[p Abol, come down Hunt.
    Don't bring a watch that beeps.
    Long pants, long sleeves, and a head net. A warm cap for summits and sleeping in.
    Buddy up at fords.
    Get up early, cook breakfast an hour down the trail.
    When you see signs saying 'view', go view.
    When near ponds, stop and be quiet. Listen for what sounds like someone pouring a bucket of water into a bathtub. That's a moose feeding in the pond.
    Nap.
    Bearbag so the redsquirrels don't eat your gorp.
    Sleep on the Rainbow ledges.
    Drink deep at Potywadjo.
    Camp at Antlers.
    Tent on Whitecap.
    If you're in Monson on Friday night, go the General.
    Visit Greenville, eat ice cream, and get a lobster roll at Flatlanders.
    Don't bounce a box between Monson and Caratunk. You'll hike into Caratunk a day before your box gets there.
    No services at Caratunk, Steve the Ferryman is gone. Skip the rafting joints, hitch 30 minutes up to Jackman.
    Take the canoe.
    After the Kennebec, you'll have it figured out.

oh, yeah...
    Have fun!
    Teej

"[ATers] represent three percent of our use and about twenty percent of our effort," retired Baxter Park Director Jensen Bissell.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++