WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Recommended trails in Western N.C.

I am looking for a good trail in western North Carolina that would be a weekender. (Preferably around Mt. Mitchell, Pisgah, or Nantahala) We are looking for something that will be scenic, but not a lot of people. Everything I am finding seems to be pretty popular amongst the masses. Can anyone help a brother out?

Images

I just did the Art loeb trail (30 miles, 3 day backpack) and a dayhike to Mt Mitchell (appx 11 mi). Photos are in the gallery

art loeb was very quiet when i did it, mid week in late may

the area around black balsam and tennent is can't miss

I would recommend the book trekking the southern appalachians. most of the backpacking trips listed are longer than weekends, but you can still get some great ideas.

Go to the NOC and hike out of the gorge

Explore the Wilson Creek area north of Morganton, NC. Check out Lost Cove Creek/Harpers Creek/Upper Creek. The Mountains to Sea trail goes right thru it all and there's plenty of great swimholes. It's in the Pisgah NF, Grandfather Ranger District.

Images

I'll second the book Trekking The Southern Appalachians.

How many miles are you looking to do? and during what part of the week?

The Shining Rock/Middle Prong Wilderness Areas are excellent and have many loop options.
    The combined Joyce Kilmer Memorial Forest -Slickrock Creek & Citico Creek Wilderness areas are excellent and don't draw the masses.
    "Going to the woods is going home" - John Muir

"Only by going alone in silence, without baggage, can one truely get into the heart of the wilderness" - John Muir

Quote Originally Posted by SpiritWind View Post
    I'll second the book Trekking The Southern Appalachians.

How many miles are you looking to do? and during what part of the week?

The Shining Rock/Middle Prong Wilderness Areas are excellent and have many loop options.
    The combined Joyce Kilmer Memorial Forest -Slickrock Creek & Citico Creek Wilderness areas are excellent and don't draw the masses.
    Yeah, if you really want solitude, check out the Citico.

Images

Regarding Grandfather Mountain - I saw a photo of the hanging bridge and it looked awesome. However, those big signs in Linville reminded me of the phony billboards in VA for Luray Caverns and I'm just not into that commercial junk. Is it is circus? A circus worth doing?

Quote Originally Posted by wilconow View Post
    Regarding Grandfather Mountain - I saw a photo of the hanging bridge and it looked awesome. However, those big signs in Linville reminded me of the phony billboards in VA for Luray Caverns and I'm just not into that commercial junk. Is it is circus? A circus worth doing?
    The Wilson Creek area is way south of Linville and the rolling couch potatoes(tourists), you wouldn't have to even see them. The Harpers/Lost Cove area is south of Grandfather Mt so that can be avoided too.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Tipi Walter View Post
    The Wilson Creek area is way south of Linville and the rolling couch potatoes(tourists), you wouldn't have to even see them. The Harpers/Lost Cove area is south of Grandfather Mt so that can be avoided too.
    I didn't mean the area you suggested, was just talking about the main grandfather trail/area

2010 complete

Quote Originally Posted by wilconow View Post
    We hike the profile trail from 105 to the swinging bridge on Grandfather MT. It's 10 miles round trip and the most strenous and dangerous hike that I have done in NC. I have never driven to the top; always have climbed it. There are many trails that branch off from that trail. You could spend days. idk, probably weeks. You don't have to go to the swinging bridge, but you might as well. It's right beyond the ice cream and who can deny ice cream after climbing for 5 miles.

Is it raining yet?
    Images

Question Mt. Mitchell

I have heard that the 4 mile trail starting @ the summit of Mt. Mitchell & proceeding along the ridge to the north is spectacular.

Anyone have any thoughts???
    Be Prepared

Registered User Tennessee Viking's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by ThrashHammer View Post
    I am looking for a good trail in western North Carolina that would be a weekender. (Preferably around Mt. Mitchell, Pisgah, or Nantahala) We are looking for something that will be scenic, but not a lot of people. Everything I am finding seems to be pretty popular amongst the masses. Can anyone help a brother out?
    Art Loeb is a good challenge. A number of 6000+ peaks.

Linville Gorge Trail

MST from us 221 to NC181.

NC181 to Beacon Heights near Grandfather Mtn.

Some of the hardcore campers love Slick Rock Joyce Kilmer.

Mt Mitchell is very touristy unless hiking the summit climb. Right now, the BRP in between Craggy Gardens to Mt Mitchell is closed due to rockslides.

If you cross over into South Carolina, you have the Foothills Trail & the Mountain Bridge Wilderness parks.
    ''Tennessee Viking'
    Mountains to Sea Trail Hiker & Maintainer
    Former TEHCC (AT) Maintainer

Images

Quote Originally Posted by BlackCloud View Post
    I have heard that the 4 mile trail starting @ the summit of Mt. Mitchell & proceeding along the ridge to the north is spectacular.
    This is the Black Mountain Crest Trail. It starts at Bolens Creek ~12.5 miles away and climbs 3200 feet to Celo Knob. The trail follows a ridge and hits several 6000+ peaks before ending at Mt Mitchell. It is an awesome trail, but be prepared to work and scramble. And be prepared for cool / cold temps. Phreak & I saw the 20*s in mid May 2007.

Egads
    The trail was here before we arrived, and it will still be here when we are gone...enjoy it now, and preserve it for others that come after us

Quote Originally Posted by Egads View Post
    This is the Black Mountain Crest Trail. It starts at Bolens Creek ~12.5 miles away and climbs 3200 feet to Celo Knob. The trail follows a ridge and hits several 6000+ peaks before ending at Mt Mitchell. It is an awesome trail, but be prepared to work and scramble. And be prepared for cool / cold temps. Phreak & I saw the 20*s in mid May 2007.

Egads
    The Black Mountain Crest Trail is one of the crown jewels of the SB6000 program that Carolina Mountain Club sponsors. You hit 6 6000's foot peaks on the trail without bushwhacking.
    Cabin Fever
    You need God—to hope, to care, to love, to live.

Images

Linville Gorge, in the gorge, you'll find solitude.

++ New Posts ++