WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

:banana gorp or trail mix

looking for a good receipe for the trail mix that is sometimes refered to gorp how about some receipes? also what exactly kind of bag should I have to hang my food up for the night. I have a couple of nylon ones that came with a tent, would these work ok thanks for any help pawpaw
    trailwalker

Quote Originally Posted by randy moore
    looking for a good receipe for the trail mix that is sometimes refered to gorp how about some receipes? also what exactly kind of bag should I have to hang my food up for the night. I have a couple of nylon ones that came with a tent, would these work ok thanks for any help pawpaw
    I keep my honey roasted cashews, m&ms, and raisins in different bags. I'm anti-Gorp. If you use a nylon stuff sack to hang your smelly stuff, remember it's not water proof. A plastic garbage bag *over* the food bag keeps stuff pretty dry.
    Teej

"[ATers] represent three percent of our use and about twenty percent of our effort," retired Baxter Park Director Jensen Bissell.

Default Hanging your food

peanuts,choc covered raisins and some m&ms
    Last edited by 2XL; 07-06-2004 at 16:42.

Default Gorp

First, I recommend that gorp be in a heavy duty zip lock bag. Then, put this and all other food inside a sil nylon stuff sack.

My trail mix consists is nuts and dried fruits. My preference is dry roasted nuts. Dried fruits include raisins, chopped dates, dried cranberries. Pineapple is a favorite. If I want a filler, then I add granola. The mix changes from batch to batch depending on what's on the grocery shelf, and what size jars/ packages of ingrediants I buy.

I forgot to add: M&M's always.
    Last edited by Peaks; 02-18-2004 at 11:48. Reason: M&M's

I use a basic gorp mix. nuts, dried fruits, pretzels, m&ms. My favorite ingredient... Gummy bears. They add a little chewyness to mix. UUUUmmmm gummy bears.

Sittin' in Tx, Dreamin' of GA

Family 'o four gorp:

Each person selects ONE ingredient at the grocery, at trailhead each receives a baggie and puts in differing amounts to taste. Yesterday my bag contained--sunflower seeds (me), pineapple(no.1 daughter), yogurt covered raisins(no.2 daughter), pecans(hubby), and jerky (general consensus).

never the same, always interesting

Donating Member/AT Class of 2003 - The WET year
    Images

Default Tastes Change ...

During my thru last year I sort of went through phases in terms of GORP. Guess you could say that was true for just about everything I ate on the trail. In fact, that's one of the best arguments for NOT buying all your food up front.

When it comes to GORP, I always made my own. I resupplied about every 4 - 5 days so when I did have an appetite for GORP I never carried more than what I could consume during that period. I would take a large freezer strength ziplock and start with some M & M's or Reeses Pieces. I would get a small bag of mixed nuts and throw it in. Last but not least I would buy a bag of finely cut mixed fruit. Shake it all up and that would do it. That big bag would go in my food bag. I always carried a handful of pint sized ziplocks (again the freezer strengh variety) and fill one each morning or evening until the supply was gone.

There were times when I just couldn't even look at another handful of GORP without starting to gag. But then I'd get into a GORP sort of mood and go at it for another week.

Anyway ...that worked for me.

'Slogger
    The more I learn ...the more I realize I don't know.

The Gorp I carry is very basic but will change depending on weather (temperature that is).
    My favorite is cashews, peanuts, raisins and yogurt covered raisins. Since I have found the yogurt covered raisins melt in the summer so I switch to M&M's. Tastes great and is easy to make.

Section Hiker 500 miles smokymtnsteve's Avatar
    Images

Honey sesame sticks
    garlic sesame sticks
    mango
    cranberrries
    almonds
    banana chips
    "I'd rather kill a man than a snake. Not because I love snakes or hate men. It is a question, rather, of proportion." Edward Abbey

LT '79; AT '73-'14 in sections; Donating Member Kerosene's Avatar
    Images

I love gorp at the start of my week-long section hikes, but after about the 4th day as my appetite wanes it's tough to down the stuff. My recipe is pretty basic: peanuts, raisins, and M&Ms, sometimes supplemented by cashews or dried cranberries.
    GA←↕→ME: 1973 to 2014

Default Gorp

Dry roasted almonds, dried cranberries, white chocolate chips

Default The need to trail feed.

It's getting to the point if I spend more than 10 minutes reading the new posts of WhiteBlaze, I feel the need to munch on GORP while I do so.
    "If I get started in the right direction, I just might get to where I want to go." -- Tab Benoit

Cashews, banana chips, M&M's, PB morsels, granola.

Alternates: dried cherries, apricots, cranberries, honey roasted peanuts, chex, frosted mini-wheats
    "What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matter compared to what lies within us.":jump

Wink Good Old Raisins and Peanuts?

I thought GORP was an acronym for Good Old Raisins and Peanuts and that those were the standard components.

Images

Default Alternative

One poster touched on my thought. Don't overlook sugar type cereals, frosted mini-wheats, fruit loops etc. The beauty is that they are universally available, keep well and are cheap and plentiful. They don't weigh much either. I have given up on the granola/nut/chocolate stuff. The mini-wheats are great because even if some of them get crushed, they are still good to eat. Be safe.

My two fav's

1) dry almonds and dried cranberries

2) bite-sized shredded wheat, some salt, and raisins.

I eat a lot of just small shredded wheat with salt - it tastes like a fat free Triscit cracker.

I don't like to mix fruit and chocolate - bluck....to each his own though We always carry some M&Ms separately.
    ~CynJ

"The reward of a thing well done is to have done it." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Any/all of the above combinations. Something I like to do is add Cherios: regular or honey nut. Good and good for you. I always double bag my gorp if it has sharp edged things in it. Over time the edges wear holes, even in freezer bags.
    Last edited by saimyoji; 10-07-2005 at 21:17.

I always put pretzels and dry cereal in to give it a bit of crunch. Sometimes I'll crunch up a ramen packet. Lately, I've been putting cocunut in, lots of calories for not too much weight. Craisins are super-good too if you get tired of raisins. Skittles and starburst adn other candies of that sort are also good.
    <A HREF="http://www.jackielbolen.blogspot.com/"TARGET="Jackie's BLOG">http://www.jackielbolen.blogspot.com/</A>

Registered User Frolicking Dinosaurs's Avatar
    Images

My basic GORP recipe is 1/2 Wal-Mart's Sam's Choice tropical trail mix (dried tropical fruits) and 1/2 Walgreens' Select premium blend nuts (cashews, almonds, macadamias & pecans). (I use these nuts because the male dino hates peanuts, but any mixed nuts would work) I often add raisins, craisins, cereals mentioned above, mini pretzel sticks, etc. for variety. I rarely add M & M's or yogurt peanuts because I've had trouble with them melting. I never use honey roasted or butter toffee nuts because they get sticky. I have added cinnamon crusted pecans - that was an awesome addition, but they are hard to find. A friend told me recently she adds Cinnamon toast cereal to her mix so I may give that a try soon.

Re: bagging - I put my GORP for the day in the ziplock baggie that had my morning cereal in it (I make my own cereal using various whole grains ground in a coffee mill and flavored with things dinosaurs love). This method gives me a new baggie every day thus eliminating the problems with torn / sticky baggies. I carry the rest of the GORP in a large freezer zip lock in my food sack. BTW, I add the GORP 'crumbs' - pieces too small to eat going down the trail - to our morning cereal.

Frieden and Ed - World Explorer Team frieden's Avatar

Oohhh, I love craisins. Generally, peanuts have more nutrition than other nuts, but they say that ground nuts are not as good for you as tree nuts (peanuts are ground grown nuts). Who knows. I like all of them. I put all the things I like in separate zip top baggies, and then combine them in one baggie for the day, depending on what mood I'm in for that day. That way, I get a different mix all the time, if I want. Regular or multi grain Cheerios are a great addition. If I remember correctly, Honey Nut Cheereos have a slightly better nutritional info, but they are too sticky. I always put in M&Ms, if I'm going out in cold weather.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++