WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Images

Default a cheaper idea..

Had my wife sew a nylon bottom on my hammock. Then I sprayed adhesive on some cheap mylar on a 40X60 (cut to shape) piece of 1/4 foam from Oware. Slipped the foam between the hammock and bottom. To add warmth I put a 3/4 Ridgerest under the foam where my bottom would be. That and my down bag kept me quite toasty at 21*
    Then I tried crawling in between the two layers. I turned the hammock upside down so I had my weight on the hammock and not on the added piece. I was roasting!! I need to work on the condensation build up some, but I think Ive found my all season set up that cost about a total of $20.

Sounds interesting - which type of hammock did you start with?

Images

Quote Originally Posted by ncmtns
    ...I think Ive found my all season set up that cost about a total of $20.
    Sounds like a cool idea.

We made an underquilt from $1/yard uncoated 1.1oz from Wal Mart and some cheap polyfill also from Wal Mart at a total cost of about $20. Finished Underquilt was 1lb 4oz. It kept POD was toasty warm @ 27 F. Worked darned good for a rushed job making it in about 1.5 hours.

That's a neat idea, but it made me think of a similar idea.

Would it work to cut a piece of the bubble-wrap (with reflective mylar) to the shape of the outside of the hammock and then use some of those mitten grippers that Mom's put on little kids' coats and their mittens to hold the pre-cut bubble wrap to the outside of the hammock? Has anybody tried that? Sleeping ON the bubblewrap sounds weird to me. I envision spending nights fighting to keep it under me.

I have some of the 1.1 oz. Walmart ripstop (in ugly green) and could easily sew it on, but don't you want to be able to take it off during the hot months? I would think the clips would be an easy-on, easy-off solution.

Beth

Images

I had a cheap Byer Hammock from Campmor to experiment with. As far as using this set up in the summer, I just use less insulation under me between the two layers, and my light summer bag.
    I guess one could illiminate the extra weight of sewing a piece of nylon under the hammock and just fastening your insulation under the hammock, but I kinda liked the idea of being able to turn my hammock into a sort of bivy if I was caught in really bad weather.

++ New Posts ++