Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4
    Images

Yep, we need to start working out a date so that everyone has enough notice to fit it in. Maybe October?
    www.kevinmims.com
    Read the VISIT FLORIDA Outdoors & Nature Blog: http://bit.ly/9jtcnr

Images

Last year it was in Nov. and it was cold as a witches tit. We had a blast. We should shoot for November again.
    |.............| Put this on your
    |... *..*....| profile if you have
    |....\o/.....| ever walked into a
    |.....|......| Patio Door that was
    |..../.\.....| CLOSED!!!!!!
    |.............|

aka Kudzu
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by slow View Post
    Bump,let's go Aug 15th at juniper.
    Man, I was planning on being at Juniper the 15th but I think something's come up that, unless I can worm my way out of it, I'll have to skip.

However, I'm set to make a hike with some friends through Ocala Natl Forest in Sept and I'm planning another through Osceola in Oct with a co-worker. Looking forward to both of those.

2005 Camino de santiago

Default Thru Hiking the Florida Trail

I have questions about the title of this thread-Thru hiking the Florida Trail.

It looks like I have some winter time this year (and since downhills are scarce, which ruined my knees on the AT this year) I am seriously considering starting it from its southern terminus...where is it?

How much road walking?

Which guide books to get?

Maps necessary at all, since it is marked ? (I have walked Tosohatchee many times and Ocala some times, and they are all marked well...but I have maps/each)

Mostly I just need guide book and map experiences of those who have walked it.

I started back walking and my knees do not hurt anymore but I am staying away from descents for a while

Thanks or your help

Addicted Hiker and Donating Member Hammock Hanger's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by highway View Post
    I have questions about the title of this thread-Thru hiking the Florida Trail.

It looks like I have some winter time this year (and since downhills are scarce, which ruined my knees on the AT this year) I am seriously considering starting it from its southern terminus...where is it?

How much road walking?

Which guide books to get?

Maps necessary at all, since it is marked ? (I have walked Tosohatchee many times and Ocala some times, and they are all marked well...but I have maps/each)

Mostly I just need guide book and map experiences of those who have walked it.

I started back walking and my knees do not hurt anymore but I am staying away from descents for a while

Thanks or your help
    The Florida Trail is a great winter hike. Usually takes about 3-3 1/2 months.

There is road walking scattered about through-out the length of the trail. I can't give you an exact percentage but my guess is 25-30%.

There is a great FL Trail Thru-Hikers handbook. It makes the planning and food drops easy to figure out. -- I feel that the book is too big to carry on the trail, but there is a small pocket-size data boo that you can get as well. It is very useful.

I personally feel that the maps are needed but that is a personal call.

I will say that some days my knees still hurt but the Florida descents are much easier on the knees.

You should contact the FTA and request a "Thru-hiker" packet. Great information and the form that you will need to fill out to get permission to walk across the Seminole Indian Reservation.

Please contact me if you have any questions. I have a hiker haven in my home for hikers as they reach the Goldhead/Olustee area.

I track the long distance hikers for the FTA so please keep me in on your plans.

Sue "Hammock Hanger" Turner, Long Distance Hikers Committee Chairperson
    Hammock Hanger -- Life is my journey and I'm surely not rushing to the "summit"...:D

http://www.gcast.com/u/hammockhanger/main

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4
++ New Posts ++