WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: CCC Projects

Default CCC Projects

In another thread a question was asked about stone arches possibly being an old Civilian Conservation Corps project. Those weren't, but I wonder if there are some CCC projects still visible and/or in use along the AT. I know that there are CCC stone retaining walls in Connecticut's Macedonia Brook State Park, through which the AT used to run before it was re-routed. Where else...anybody?

If I have my history right, the AT through SNP would be one example. It's a heavily "engineered" piece of trail.

I was reading the other post you mentioned and it prompted me to learn more about the CCC.
    I found this site very informative http://www.cccalumni.org/history1.html
    I was in Macedonia last week and saw the retaining walls you mentions and knew they were done by the CCC.

Registered User Dances with Mice's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Old Grouse View Post
    In another thread a question was asked about stone arches possibly being an old Civilian Conservation Corps project. Those weren't, but I wonder if there are some CCC projects still visible and/or in use along the AT. I know that there are CCC stone retaining walls in Connecticut's Macedonia Brook State Park, through which the AT used to run before it was re-routed. Where else...anybody?
    Blood Mtn Shelter and the Walasi-Yi building at Neel Gap, both built of local rock and salvaged chestnut logs.
    You never turned around to see the frowns
    On the jugglers and the clowns
    When they all did tricks for you.

Registered User Frolicking Dinosaurs's Avatar
    Images

The AT has been routed away from many of the remaining CCC structures due to the move away from roadwalks. Warren Doyle can probably remember some of those.

Letchworth State Park, in upstate New York, would be an excellent example.

Images

If I remember correctly there is a significant stretch of trail in Cohutta that was built by the CCC.
    If you don't make waves, it means you ain't paddling

NOBO toBennington, VT plus 187 mi in MH & ME
    Images

there is a four mile stretch of trail that runs on a "deserted roadway" east of Dick's Creek" a day or two (7 to 10 mile days here, folks).

There was stone work here and there. a later check showed it was done by the CCC. Around the time that skyline drive was first built.

The Georgia Appalachian Trail Club found stakes in front of a shelter, (maybe at deep gap??) called Washington to complain. The "powers that be said "you don't like it? Okay, we'll stop". And they did.

Grinder

I find this topic very interesting--the work done by the CCC was pretty impressive and is unlikely to be duplicated in scale and quality these days. When Googling it, there are so many references that I couldn't possibly list them all. It looks like the CCC was involved in parts of the trail in almost every state from Georgia to Maine.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&s...22&btnG=Search

Quote Originally Posted by Appalachian Tater View Post
    I find this topic very interesting--the work done by the CCC was pretty impressive and is unlikely to be duplicated in scale and quality these days. When Googling it, there are so many references that I couldn't possibly list them all. It looks like the CCC was involved in parts of the trail in almost every state.
    Ayup, that's my understanding also. There was a time when the gummint actually did useful work (or at least supported such work) for the benefit of common folk -- that didn't involve paving or bombing the planet.

Quote Originally Posted by _terrapin_ View Post
    Ayup, that's my understanding also. There was a time when the gummint actually did useful work (or at least supported such work) for the benefit of common folk -- that didn't involve paving or bombing the planet.
    Paying people to work is better than paying them to be unemployed.

But let's can the political talk outside of the political forums before it gets canned for us!

Images

The shelter south of rufus morgan, I think it is cold spring shelter, log structure, was built by the CCC. The structures built at Newfound Gap were built by the CCC. I was wondering if the retaining wall I hiked past on the blue ridge parkway was CCC, but I don't know when the blue ridge was built. Looked like CCC work though.
    "It was on the first of May, in the year 1769, that I resigned my domestic happiness for a time, and left my family and peaceable habitation on the Yadkin River, in North Carolina, to wander through the wilderness of America." - Daniel Boone

Registered User Frolicking Dinosaurs's Avatar
    Images

I've seen some absolutely beautiful stone work on bridges in the GSMNP's southern section along abandoned roads. Unsure if this was where the AT originally ran or not, but it does seem consistent with Earl Shaffer's mention of seeing such bridges in his journal.

Quote Originally Posted by Lilred View Post
    The shelter south of rufus morgan, I think it is cold spring shelter, log structure, was built by the CCC. The structures built at Newfound Gap were built by the CCC. I was wondering if the retaining wall I hiked past on the blue ridge parkway was CCC, but I don't know when the blue ridge was built. Looked like CCC work though.
    http://www.asla.org/meetings/awards/...blueridge.html

Caughnawaga Shelter, Vermont. I think I saw a plaque with a date of 1930-something. Photo taken at a break; I didn't stay. A father/son hiking duo was staying there.

Images

There are lots of examples of CCC work in NY's Harriman State Park but I can't think of any trailside to the AT. Some of the lakes in the park were formed by dams built by CCC and there were water supply systems built to get water to camps that were going to be built so the people of NYC would have some place to escape the summer heat of the city. As far as I know none of the camps were ever built though. Remains of the plumbing and water tanks on hills still remain.

High Point and William Brien shelters were CCC.

Oh, and Walasi-Yi.

Images

The various retaining walls and such in the northern Smokies.

The CCC and GSMNP were great examples of FDR's and (the Democrat party's) committment to the betterment of the U.S. The CCC had projects all over the U.S., too bad we do not have that organization now.
    "I told my Ma's and Pa's I was coming to them mountains and they acted as if they was gutshot. Ma, I sez's, them mountains is the marrow of the world and by God, I was right". Del Gue

The CCC was certainly remarkable, both in the way it addressed the severe economic and social issues of the time, and in the results it achieved. I’ll bet many of its young graduates found themselves in the armed forces just a few years later, part of the "Greatest Generation." We owe them our gratitude for so much, obviously including a lot of the infrastructure which we now enjoy as we hike and camp around the country.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++