WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Default Water through Maryland

What is the water situation like through MD right now?

I hike, therefore I stink.
    Images

You should have no problems. The spigot at Compton Gap works. The Rocky Run shelter spring is running, ther'es water. Just carry a lot of it because it's hot out there.
    If you don't have something nice to say,
    Be witty in your cruelty.

Slowest Hiker On Earth

I just finished the Maryland section and had no problems whatsoever with water and I drink alot.

Just got finished with a section hike from the Md-Pa line to Harpers Ferry W Va, Water was great throughout Md. Nice and cold!!!!!!

In all the years that I was overseer at Rocky Run Shelter (86-98) that spring has never run dry. Also once heard while I was out there, that that was the best water this person had tasted since Vermont!

Images

Did it this week, also.
    Water was running at Garvey (Long Climb down, according to another who went down to the spring) Rocky Run was flowing nice (old site)
    Plenty of water at Gaithland (tasted bleached) Crampton was Dry.
    didn't stop at Pine Knob
    Pogo Lower Spring was flowing Incredibly well.
    No water from there til you get to Warner Gap Road just before Raven Rock road, Just N of MD77.
    vCowell Shelter was dry (The spring at least, it had some muddy water in it but looked pretty bad.)
    .....Someday, like many others who joined WB in the early years, I may dry up and dissapear....

PCT, Sheltowee, Pinhoti, LT , BMT, AT, SHT, CDT, TRT 10-K's Avatar

This is a pretty old thread but I'll be hiking the MD section this weekend - what's the water situation like at the present time (June 9, 2009)

Images

I was dayhiking there last weekend water water everywhere
    Would you be offended if I told you to
    TAKE A HIKE!
    CowHead

"If at first you don't succeed......Skydiving is not for you" Zen Isms

I once was lost, then I hike the trail

There are five reliable piped water sources in Maryland:

1) Gathland Park, a frost-free spigot by the restrooms.

2) Dahlgren Camp, on the service road about 500' north of the actual camp. When the camp is open, showers and sinks are also available.

3) Washington Monument Park. The back of the maintenance building near the entrance has a spigot, and at the restrooms and water fountain. There's a hand pump well right in front of the Ranger's House in Washington Monument State Park... you'll walk right by it. If that's not functioning, there's another well a few 100 ft south next to the maintenance shack.

4) Wolfsville Rd. ranger's house. From the A.T., hike uphill (south) on Wolfsville Rd. 600'. Turn left onto gravel road. Find first house in 800', ranger's house with spigot on side. Available as long as Cowell Shelter spring is dry, which has been often.

5) Pen Mar County Park. Water fountain located at each of the picnic pavilions.
    “Only two things are infinite; The universe and human stupidity,
    And I’m starting to wonder about the universe.”
    Albert Einstein

PCT, Sheltowee, Pinhoti, LT , BMT, AT, SHT, CDT, TRT 10-K's Avatar

Thanks everyone. It's nice to not have to sweat for water, no pun intended.

Looks like it's raining pretty hard up that way today, tonight and into tomorrow with the weekend and early next week looking pretty good.

There is no pack between men and LIONS

Im doin a weekend hike on nov 13 from Wolfsville rd to hapers ferry how is the water situation on the part of the trail.....does it need t be filtered? this is my first time doing any part of the trail bear with me

Does anyone have an update on the water situation through MD...Northern border of the state to Harper's Ferry? Do I need to bring a pump or is there enough safe drinking water available?

Images

Quote Originally Posted by salmonella View Post
    Does anyone have an update on the water situation through MD...Northern border of the state to Harper's Ferry? Do I need to bring a pump or is there enough safe drinking water available?
    I filter everything but tap water and maybe I should filter it like any open water source I rather be safe than sorry.
    Would you be offended if I told you to
    TAKE A HIKE!
    CowHead

"If at first you don't succeed......Skydiving is not for you" Zen Isms

I once was lost, then I hike the trail

Journal Entries
    Images

Post Update on Maryland Water

I just finished a series of day hikes from Gathland State Park to Pen-Mar.

Water is available at all listed sites (faucets, creeks, springs), but unavailable anywhere else. "Intermittent" should be viewed as "dry." Crampton Gap Shelter, for example, had none, and there were no dribbling streams not listed in the guide books.

If you find water at a site, and think you will need it before the next designated source, you should most definitely fill up at that site. Do NOT count on an un-listed water source in Maryland at this time -- I didn't find a single one.

The trail is childhood reborn. Simple, carefree, and full of Wonders Captn's Avatar
    Images

Old thread, but the song remains the same ... A friend and I are section hiking pen-mar to Happers Ferry in a couple of weeks and I wondered what the water situation is on the trail? Water only at shelters or are water sources plentiful thruout?

Journal Entries

I will be doing this same section in November. I was wondering if some of these sources get shut off in the fall or winter?
    Midlife (Traveling Man)

Conditions in a dryish November are typically as follows. I've listing only the listed water sources that might be problematic.

North to South:

Ensign Cowall Shelter - little or standing water only
    Pine Knob Shelter - slow trickle or dry
    Crampton Gap Shelter - dry

There are 3 frost-free spigots that have been installed by the Maryland DNR: Washington Monument, Dahlgren Backpacker Campground, Crampton Gap. Once one failed for a season before it was fixed. The showers/restrooms are shut down usually from sometime in October until April.

The other springs at shelters are generally quite reliable. Annapolis Rocks can be slow; Pogo Campsite is one of the most robust springs in Maryland.

Laurie P.
    ATC

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Lauriep View Post
    Conditions in a dryish November are typically as follows. I've listing only the listed water sources that might be problematic.

North to South:

There are 3 frost-free spigots that have been installed by the Maryland DNR: Washington Monument, Dahlgren Backpacker Campground, Crampton Gap. Once one failed for a season before it was fixed. The showers/restrooms are shut down usually from sometime in October until April.

The other springs at shelters are generally quite reliable. Annapolis Rocks can be slow; Pogo Campsite is one of the most robust springs in Maryland.

Laurie P.
    ATC

Thanks for the quick reply. I will make sure to note them in my book. Warm regards.
    Midlife (Traveling Man)

I did this section a year ago in Sept. Good water sources at most shelters except Raven Rocks. It's a really nice new shelter but the water source is almost half a mile across the trail and downhill. When I was there it hardly flowed. Easily spigot water at war correspondents monument and dahlgren

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Lauriep View Post

North to South:

Laurie P.
    ATC
    And the Garvey shelter? 6 of us will be there in a couple of weeks.
    "All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us."

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++