Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Images

Default Concerned about body weight

I'll be starting the SOBO AT soon, and I'm trying to do everything I can to get ready. However, I'm concerned about my weight. I'm 18 years old and 40 pounds overweight. (Yes, I know: it's terrible that I've let my body get this way.)

I've seen some people post on here that the AT is 90% mental and 10% physical. Is this really true?

Though I am 40# overweight, I can run three miles easily; and I've been walking 6-10 mi, every now and then in the last few weeks, along local roads with a 40# pack on. (My final pack weight will be lighter; this is just something to help me get used to carrying a heavy pack.)

I'm really eager to do a thru-hike. And I can't wait to get started. I'm just concerned that something as daunting as this seems to be more in the group for the completely-in-shape elite.

Thanks!

40 lbs. over is no big deal, IMO.

Images

I'm about 60 pounds over and heading up to Katahdin next week probably going try to SOBO it all hopefully. I was actually just diagnosed as having a under active thyroid. With that problem I was able to do a 20 mile day in Georgia this April. It is all about your head, the trail will make everything else right. If you can run three miles your legs should be fine, just be concerned with your head.

Don't worry about the weight, your age and desire will help you achieve your hiking goals. BTW: hiking is an activity that will get you into great cardo shape and you will lose the weight if you hike long enough on the trail. Good luck.
    "I told my Ma's and Pa's I was coming to them mountains and they acted as if they was gutshot. Ma, I sez's, them mountains is the marrow of the world and by God, I was right". Del Gue

Whatever happens, don't let anyone discourage you! You sound like you're motivated and you've already started to prepare yourself physically. I frequently hike with a couple of guys who are a lot more than 40lbs. overweight. They can't hike as fast as I can, but their heart and desire to keep going always inspires me.

Hiking is not and should not be a sport reserved for only those who are in the best of shape. Just don't let anyone tell you how fast/far you should be hiking -- do what you feel comfortable doing. I am one of those who loves to "camp to hike," so to speak, and I like to get as many miles done per day as I can, but I would never dream of making someone feel bad for not wanting to do that. Don't let people pressure you into doing too much!

One thing you can do during your preparations is trying to shave ounces wherever possible. That is beneficial to anyone regardless of their weight and there is a ton of information here on how to save weight in places you might not have thought of. You're very smart to train with a heavier pack than you plan to take and I think that will help you a lot on your tru.

Good luck to you and enjoy your hike

2010 complete

When I started my first hike I was from the beach. Although a runner, I didn't encounter hills, much less mountains. I never had to change gears on my bicycle. I don't think that you train for it. Take it as it goes. Then, once you master the physical, this is when the mental can get you. You will lose that weight, but the problem is when you come back to a nonhiking schedule. Your appetite doesn't adjust as fast.

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

You'll do fine. Get ready to enjoy watching the weight tumble off. And you will need new clothes later on. (I was 20 lb overweight when I started and lost a total of 30 lb)

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

Make a plan NOW to keep the weight off once you finish your thru-hike.

Images

Listen to your body. You may have problems with feet, knees, and back. If your body tells you to slow down, rest, or quit, do it. Live to hike another day.

Images

Even though you're overweight some you are young and it sounds like you're in pretty good cardiovascular shape. You'll do fine. Just don't start too fast and get discouraged. Climbing hills is hard work on the legs and lungs. Take your time. Until you're in "hiking shape" it will be difficult at times. Just take short breaks and then keep on truckin'. Your leg muscles are going to ache in the beginning, no way around it. Thats a good thing - they're repairing and getting stronger. But "listen" to your knees and feet. That's the joints, ligaments, tendons, cartilage, etc talking. They get injured more easily, don't get stronger as fast, and need time to heal/strenghten. They'll tell you when you've overdone it and need to take a day off. There's an old hiker saying: Start slow, then slow down.
    "That's the thing about possum innards - they's just as good the second day." - Jed Clampett

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Appalachian Tater View Post
    Make a plan NOW to keep the weight off once you finish your thru-hike.
    My plan is Weight Watchers when I get back.

Images

You'll do fine. You'll be surprised when you get out there just how out of shape a lot of hikers are. Just start slow and listen to your body. Of course, that's the advice for everyone starting out. I don't remember where I first heard it, but it's been said that girls that do a thru hike end up looking like aerobic instructors, where guys look like concentration camp survivors.

Weight Watchers works. Good plan.
    "It was on the first of May, in the year 1769, that I resigned my domestic happiness for a time, and left my family and peaceable habitation on the Yadkin River, in North Carolina, to wander through the wilderness of America." - Daniel Boone

Images

Anyway, the extra weight really doesn't matter- you'll turn it into muscle soon enough!

Images

And I'm pretty sure that you need'nt bother with weight watchers when you get back- you'll be buff and slim. (joke- hiker: I got arrested the other day, person: what for?, hiker: carrying two guns and a six pack!)

Images

Quote Originally Posted by traceless View Post
    And I'm pretty sure that you need'nt bother with weight watchers when you get back- you'll be buff and slim. (joke- hiker: I got arrested the other day, person: what for?, hiker: carrying two guns and a six pack!)
    No you won't need weight watchers to lose weight when you get back. But it is a great plan for keeping the weight off. It's waaaay too easy to put the weight back on once you get off the trail and aren't burning those insane amounts of calories. Stick to your plan of joining WW. It really works.
    "It was on the first of May, in the year 1769, that I resigned my domestic happiness for a time, and left my family and peaceable habitation on the Yadkin River, in North Carolina, to wander through the wilderness of America." - Daniel Boone

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Lilred View Post
    No you won't need weight watchers to lose weight when you get back. But it is a great plan for keeping the weight off. It's waaaay too easy to put the weight back on once you get off the trail and aren't burning those insane amounts of calories. Stick to your plan of joining WW. It really works.
    Yeah, sorry for not clarifying. I meant WW for maintenance; hopefully, I'll have lost the fat-pack.

I wouldn't worry about it. I wasn't carrying an extra 40 lbs, but I sure couldn't run 3 miles or even one before I started my thru hike. I don't think its so much about the fat as about determination to plow through the beginning of your hike out of shape. Take it slow. Your body will gradually let you know that you can go further each day and before you know it you'll be plowing up mountains barely out of breath. And don't pay much attention to weight out here. Most of the women haven't lost much weight- the fat transfers into muscle and bone mass which is way more important than how much te scale says.

Images

Don't worry, but be smart about it. One of the "rules" of hiking is Listen To Your Body. With an extra 40#, you will certainly be challenged on the climbs and descents. Here are a few recommendations:

Take smaller, faster steps - less strain on tired muscles; plan on hiking longer days to give yourself time to take breaks - get out early; drink more water than you ever have before; keep you pack weight as low as possible; absolutely go with hiking poles (Leki is #1); sounds like you have been practicing with weight - great! - incorporate stair climbs with weight (this is where your practice will pay off the most).

The extra 40# will come off, but know you will feel those pounds when you start. Take it slow until your body adapts, and it will. You will have plenty of flat sections to make up time after you get out of the mountains. Just pace yourself and hike your own hike.

Remember: Those real life moments on the last climb of the day when you are SO tired, dirty and hungry...don't forget to look around and thank God you are one of the very few that is blessed with hiking the AT!!!

Happy hiking!

TTF

Quote Originally Posted by Sallie8998 View Post
    My plan is Weight Watchers when I get back.
    Sounds like a plan.

One thing to remember is how much easier it will get to hike as you lose weight. By the time I finished my thruhike, my pack and my body together weighed about the same as just my body did when I started so it was like not carrying a pack at all. Sortof. So keep that in mind if you get discouraged going uphill!

Images

Sallie, I can't wait to see you at KSC on June 30th. We're going to have a great hike. Right now there are three ladies and a fourth is deciding... I am a WW leader and really agree that it is the way to maintain your loss. I'll be jumping back on the plan as soon as I get home to avoid those extra pounds I put on after my last hike. Oh and Tater is right, today me and my pack weigh less than I did before WW...

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++