WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Images

Default Need a campsite at Katahdin Stream Campground, July 1st

I am going to be Climbing Katahdin on July 1st and was wondering if anybody had extra space for me and my dad at KSC that night. We will be happy to pay a for our share of the costs.

Images

Sorry, my spot is all full. Check with Captain to see if there is room at his spot (he may not be going but has a reservation)

Images

The additional cost for two people is the same as the minimum cost for a site.

You can share my site. I don't know how big it is but I'm sure we can squeeze y'all somewhere. I reserved it for the 27th to April 1st. I'm planning on canceling the 27-29 since I'm now flying in on Sunday, 29th. I will call to find out how much space there is on the site.

If anyone else wants to join us, the more the merrier.

-Edward

Images

Default April 1st?

Quote Originally Posted by Dakota_ View Post
    I reserved it for the 27th to April 1st.

-Edward
    Shall we assume you meant July 1st?

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Dakota_ View Post
    You can share my site. I don't know how big it is but I'm sure we can squeeze y'all somewhere. I reserved it for the 27th to April 1st. I'm planning on canceling the 27-29 since I'm now flying in on Sunday, 29th. I will call to find out how much space there is on the site.

-Edward
    sounds good, sending a PM

Be aware that BSP is very regulated on how many people can be at a campsite and how many cars can be parked there. They will let you add additional guests up to the capacity of the campsite but this has to be done preferably in advance or at the BSP headquarters. You may be able to do it at the Togue pond gate but this has varied over the years. There are a percentage of the sites that are kept open for Maine residents until two weeks before that get opened up to the general public, so you may be able to score a site last minute.

Images

Stealth. But be carefull if they catch ya they really will take your soul.

Seriously, what do they do if your stealth camping?

But I believe, yes I believe, I said I believe
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by daibutsu View Post
    First, they confirm your in the park somewhere because you would have singed the sheet stating your intent to stay at the Birches. The ridge runner then relays all the names of the people signed up for the Birches to the KSC ranger, who crosses the names off his list as they show up. If somebody does not show, they begin their hunt. The more damage you do to the park, the heavier the penalty will be. The ridge runner there told me the rangers have extreme flexibility in the punishment they hand out. There are ways it can be done, but their risky. Please note that the park is self sufficient by design, which means it counts on the fees to help continue park operations.

Kirby

Quote Originally Posted by daibutsu View Post
    As Kirby said, the park is limited-access -- at least for folks arriving in cars.

So in theory -- except for folks arriving by trails -- park officials know exactly how many people are in the park at any moment.

If you arrive mid-day, by car, with no shelter reservations... you may be allowed to day-hike, but not for an overnight stay.

I don't recall anyone monitoring my exit from the park as I departed SOBO on the AT. (Long time ago.) I don't know how they account for folks who enter or exit the park on trails.

But I believe, yes I believe, I said I believe
    Images

I know they account for the AT VIA the ridge runner, but she is off two days a week. The policies are designed in such a way that if you are caught in the park at an odd time of the day with no reservation for any campsite and no record of you entering the park, they'll question you.

Kirby

Quote Originally Posted by Dirty Harry View Post
    Stealth. But be carefull if they catch ya they really will take your soul.
    Please don't advocate theft of services.
    Teej

"[ATers] represent three percent of our use and about twenty percent of our effort," retired Baxter Park Director Jensen Bissell.

++ New Posts ++