WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

One thing nice about a fixed blade knife is that they are easy to keep clean when you use them for food. A folding knife has all kinds of areas that food (bacteria) can get stuck in and are much harder to clean & sanitary. [/quote]

Good point. Because i sleep with my knife! Like a cold steel teddy bear mmmm good dreams under the stars

If you must carry a fixed blade then there are plenty of lighter knives.
    Also, there are folders that are easily disassembled for cleaning, check out Strider or Kershaw ZT knives. As someone pointed out above regarding gun weights, my Ruger 380 weighs only 9 oz, fully loaded.

If your ruger weighs 9 oz then my estimates are way off... haven't weighed the knife but it feels about half a pound.. i guess theres no way to find out.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Homer&Marje View Post
    My wife saw the post earlier about sheeth knives and believes my knife is too big and un-practical... please help me prove her wrong (or me) by the way for those weight enthusiasts it's only like 9 oz with the sheath and super durable and wrapped in nylon rope... oooh best knife ever!

http://www.buysellcommunity.com/sale/JXEFUCPY/
    well, you don't need a big knife for a thru -2175 Miles,but for a section hike...it`s up to you, check this out Number 3193 http://www.bafknifeworks.com/huntinginventory.htm
    you are what you eat: Fast! Cheap! and Easy!

I have a old Buck caper knife. It is a fixed blade but the size of a folding knife. I don't know the weight but it is very lite. They don't make them and if you find one it is pretty expensive. The blade is about 2 1/2 or 3 inches. It was the 116 model. Cut carry what you want, it is your back that carries the weight and no one else.

You must bear the weight of your iniquities, my son. If it makes you happy, take it, but I've never needed a knife that size on the AT. I carry a Wenger Teton swiss army knife with a locking main blade, or if I'm feeling gram-weeny, a swiss army Classic.

I ran into a hiker in NC who insisted that the weight of his big ol' sheath
    knife didn't matter because it was on his BELT rather than in his PACK. Someone was snoozing during physics class, I think.
    Jaywalke
    SW Virginia

hated physics never understood it, and it hangs from my "sternum Strap" that makes the physics irrelevent right?? And maybe it's just that i am a large guy but it feels super light to me, but super light to me is under a pound... never been gram weary unless its in a bag

W.T.F., pack it along. I predict you'll send it home within the first few weeks of your hike. There's simply no need for a knife like that on the AT.

absolutely no way. I love my knives... mostly i collect decorative ones but all of them are my babies. And that one is my oldest, my first knife that i proclaimed, wow, that will cut a lot o s^%$. And it has. And it will. And it will never be sent in a box unless i lose mine and have to order a new one. But all opinions validated.

My friend Barry once said, "You left home 'without' your knife, that was the first mistake, the second, you told me and I have mine"

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++