WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Bearpaw88 View Post
    Thanks for following the hike. What new IAT forum? On whiteblaze or another website?
    Here! On WB in the "Other Long Trails' section, it's brand-spankin-new!

Images

If there is anyone else on WB that had to come home early for reasons concerning money fraud or similar. Lemme know. What did you do? How did you feel leaving the trail, and did you go back? I have to say I do not like being in an apartment again and am thinking of hitching back to the trail

If you get your money back in a month could you do a flip flop? Start at Katahdin and head south?

Images

Quote Originally Posted by corialice81 View Post
    If you get your money back in a month could you do a flip flop? Start at Katahdin and head south?
    I am not sure what to do. Reasonably I think I should save money and come back next year. Plus I would really like to go NOBO. Emotionally I just want to drop everything and come back.

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf View Post
    no it;s not
    it's not noc?
    ~~
    Allen "Monkeywrench" Freeman
    NOBO 3-18-09 - 9-27-09
    blog.allenf.com
    [email protected]
    www.allenf.com

Quote Originally Posted by affreeman View Post
    it's not noc?
    snot?

I don't think there has the employee theft angle has been discussed much. I own several quick service restaurants, and we had a case last year where an employee was ripping off credit & debit card customers in our drive-thru. to the tune of almost 10K over three months. Basically, she would ring through a credit card through for not only that customer, but 2 or 3 cars after. then when the next cars came, she would collect the money and pocket it. This only worked in the drive-thru since the customer has to hand thier card over to the cashier to use it. She was caught when we had a number of customers dispute charges, always on her register. What surprised me, was the large number of people who were double-charged and did not realize it until we contacted them. Not only did this cost my business what was stolen, (which we will allegedly get back from the thief through a restitution agreement with the courts) but it cost me the goodwill of some of my customers, which will be even more difficult to recoup.
    When you're green you're growing, when you're ripe you begin to rot!

I agree with you.

There is indeed the possibility of a "rogue employee", and stuff could have gone on that neither the management or the ownership of this place knew about.

I believe I was the first person on this thread to mention this as a possibility.

That being said, the place has acknowledged responsibility for what happened. They should ask these kids what it cost to abort their trip (i.e. travel, food, lodging expenses; unplanned for expenses when they arrived home suddenly, etc.), and they should immediately offer to re-imburse them for all of these expenses, including any and all costs involved in returning to the Trail, either this year or next.

This is what any decent business would do, at least if they were truly innocent in the affair, if they truly regretted it, and were remotely interested in maintaining a good name. Merely letting the bank take care of this months later by cutting these guys a check when hiker season is pretty much over doesn't seem quite right. This mess-up cost these guys a lot, and it's not merely the bank that should be setting things right.

Images

That would be wonderful. I doubt they will do that, but who knows what will happen.

It would be wonderful if they did this.

Have you asked them?

Images

The bank said not to contact them something with the fraud laws...but it sounds like a reasonable thing to do. I'll look into it. WJ is 100 miles away he is dealing with the bank. When I get my phone turned back on we'll figure it out.

Seems pretty simple to me.

When you admit that someone has been wronged, and when it's clear that you or someone that works for you is responsible, then you work with the offended parties in order to make things right.

This ain't rocket science.

Let us know what happens.

Images

We'll let everyone know how it turns out. I am pretty isolated in my apartment right now maybe it has been taken care of already and I don't know yet. I haven't spoken directly to anyone in days.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Tarlin View Post
    Seems pretty simple to me.

When you admit that someone has been wronged, and when it's clear that you or someone that works for you is responsible, then you work with the offended parties in order to make things right.
    That's what I ended up doing in my situation, trying to make it right with my customers, including paying back thier overcharges out of my own pocket when it was appropriate, and giving out voucher cards for a free meal every week for 6 months to anyone affected. In the long run it was money well spent to regain the trust of my customers.
    When you're green you're growing, when you're ripe you begin to rot!

Journal Entries
    Images

Basically, she would ring through a credit card through for not only that customer, but 2 or 3 cars after. then when the next cars came, she would collect the money and pocket it.
    Very interesting. Sounds like this was just a single boat rental charge. Probably a big one, if it could have such an impact. Unless there are other people out there, this seems like a different deal.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by rickb View Post
    Very interesting. Sounds like this was just a single boat rental charge. Probably a big one, if it could have such an impact. Unless there are other people out there, this seems like a different deal.
    It must have been multiple I think for it to have come to so much

Journal Entries
    Images

How did it show up on your bill?

Images

Quote Originally Posted by rickb View Post
    How did it show up on your bill?
    It didn't show up on any bill. WJ checked the balance one day two days later he checked it again and most of our money was gone. He called the bank and reported it to the fraud department. When we called back they told us the details about Uncle Johnny's and after having talked to them we found it it was a mistake (no kidding) and that the money was taken out for boat rentals.

Images

thats it I am moving near the trail. I have been home 4 days and 'am becoming a whiteblaze addict

What are you guys looking to do?

I could probably get you work in Hanover NH tomorrow.

Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++