WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Images

Default Welcome to the new forum!

Welcome to the newest area of WhiteBlaze, the Ice Age Trail forum!

I look forward to a lot of information sharing on this incredible trail. Please post your questions, comments, experiences, trail reports, etc here!

Official websites:

http://www.iceagetrail.org - The Ice Age park and Trail Foundation

http://www.nps.gov/iatr - National Park Service site
    Last edited by IceAge; 06-25-2008 at 13:42. Reason: EDIT: added links to trail websites

Journal Entries
    Images

Default Ice Age Trail

As Benny would say: "alwight!"

Images

I wish you luck. Haven't hiked the Ice Age yet. Maybe some day. Have worked with some of the Ice Age Trail folks on AHS Volunteer Vacations.

Most folks on this site are pretty concentrated on the AT, not a lot of discussion or interest in or about other trails. The big three or those connected to the AT get some attention. Wish more would broaden their horizons, but Whiteblaze serves it's intended purpose quite well for the AT.

As I said, best of luck with stimulating some discussion.

Images

Hey mkman, if nothing else at least you and I can discuss the trail here!

Thanks for the good wishes, Lyle. I have not found many IAT-specific fora on the web, so I am hoping that this one will draw in some folks that may not already be affiliated with WB.

I'm just getting started with volunteering for the trail, hadn't heard of the AHS Volunteer Vacations, thanks for the tip!

hummm IAT = Ice Age Trail here in this forum but elsewhere on Whiteblaze IAT = International Appalachian Trail - the trail that goes north from Katahdin to Cape Gaspe

this may be a little confusing

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Hog On Ice View Post
    hummm IAT = Ice Age Trail here in this forum but elsewhere on Whiteblaze IAT = International Appalachian Trail - the trail that goes north from Katahdin to Cape Gaspe

this may be a little confusing

Good Point.

Maybe use IANST for Ice Age? Not as simple, but less confusing.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Lyle View Post
    Good Point.

Maybe use IANST for Ice Age? Not as simple, but less confusing.
    Replacing TLA's with ETLA's always works.

TLA= three letter acronym
    ETLA= extended three letter acronym

Images

Quote Originally Posted by odd Thomas View Post
    replacing Tla's With Etla's Always Works. :d

Tla= Three Letter Acronym
    Etla= extended Three Letter Acronym
    Yep!

At the risk of sounding even more clueless than usual, where is the Ice Age Trail located, what is it like, more associated info requested.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowmoss View Post
    At the risk of sounding even more clueless than usual, where is the Ice Age Trail located, what is it like, more associated info requested.
    The Ice Age Trail Runs through WI. Starting at the tip of the Eastern Peninsula and moves south, then north, then head west across the northern part of the state. The trail follows the glacial expansion of the last Ice Age. It is 1100 miles long, 600+ miles off road right now. It is beautiful check out www.iceagetrail.org

Images

Thanks BP, I stole your idea and added links in the first post of the thread.

Pretty amazing to think there is a trail slightly over half the length of the AT all right here in WI.

Journal Entries
    Images

The more I hike the IAT, the more I like it. At each outing I discover new gems. The last was the segment between Holy Hill and Loew's Lake.

"LilRed" on Whiteblaze is also interested in the trail.

Images

From the Ice Age FAQ page:

"Not entirely. The Appalachian Trail is about twice as long (about 2200 miles) and runs through 14 states. It seldom intersects a town or community. The Ice Age Trail is totally within Wisconsin. One of the virtues of the Ice Age Trail is its involvement with the diverse communities along its route. It was designed to connect communities, not avoid them. In fact, approximately 57% of Wisconsin residents live within 20 miles of the Trail. The Ice Age Trail was also designed very specifically to preserve and protect Wisconsin’s cultural and glacial heritage."

Sounds like resupply would be relatively easy. True? Any difference between resupply during the summer and winter, due to businesses being closed?

Quote Originally Posted by Two Speed View Post

"Not entirely. The Appalachian Trail is about twice as long (about 2200 miles) and runs through 14 states. It seldom intersects a town or community. The Ice Age Trail is totally within Wisconsin. One of the virtues of the Ice Age Trail is its involvement with the diverse communities along its route. It was designed to connect communities, not avoid them. In fact, approximately 57% of Wisconsin residents live within 20 miles of the Trail. The Ice Age Trail was also designed very specifically to preserve and protect Wisconsin’s cultural and glacial heritage."

Sounds like resupply would be relatively easy. True? Any difference between resupply during the summer and winter, due to businesses being closed?
    Have fun doing a lot of road walks, a lot of the trail does not exist yet. And walking through swamps.The trail that does exist (outside of Kettle Moraine Unit) goes through a lot of low land

Images

Mm hmm. After looking around on the site I found a list of B&B's on the trail. Could be fun the right time of year. Prolly wanna miss mosquito season.

ts, generally speaking businesses do not close in the midwest during this winter months. we are a hardy stock!!
    Peanuts (aka i.j.)
    "A womans place its on the trail"

Images

Quote Originally Posted by peanuts View Post
    ts, generally speaking businesses do not close in the midwest during this winter months. we are a hardy stock!!
    True. But hiking the IAT in Winter(in Wisconsin)would require extreme hardiness. Resupply or no.
    Skids

Insanity: Asking about inseams over and over again and expecting different results.
    Albert Einstein, (attributed)

i've done the sections that were there when i lived in chicago! in winter as well as the kettle morrain in winter also!
    Peanuts (aka i.j.)
    "A womans place its on the trail"

Images

We don't close business's in WI due to cold weather. Otherwise everyone would be broke!

++ New Posts ++