WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Images

Default Smokies on Oct - Nov

OK, a quick question for all you southerner's who spend time in the Smokies year-round.

Will a good quality 20* bag be a good choice for an October, possibly into November section in the Smokies and north for a few weeks? Can assume other decent insulating layers to supplement if necessary.

If not, what range is recommended?

Images

I use a 30* bag. If i'd be out for a couple of weeks, then I would take my bag liner. A 20* bag might get a little warm if the nights don't cool down much. One of the nice things about the internet is the extended forcast. One thing to remember is a cold night, with no sleep, makes for a long day of hiking.

Christus Cowboy
    Images

My daughter and I were in the Carver's Gap area of Pisgah National Forest last November and there was some snow (nothing major) at the higher elevations and I used a 30 degree bag with a fleece liner and some long underwear on and did fine. If I recall temps got into the low twenties but were probably in the high teens in the higher elevations. Assuming you have good sleeping pad and some winter clothing with you, I think you would be fine.
    Be on the alert, stand firm in the faith, act like men, be strong. Let all that you do be done in love..... 1 Corinthians 16:13-14

Images

Yes, a good 20-F bag should be sufficient for the Smokies in Oct- early Nov.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

Quote Originally Posted by bigcranky View Post
    Yes, a good 20-F bag should be sufficient for the Smokies in Oct- early Nov.
    yes. ditto

20 is fine.

I don't think anyone has mentioned this yet, so I just wanted to let you know that a 20*F bag should be fine in the Smokies during Oct - early Nov.

I used a 20 degree bag last Oct/Nov for a section hike from Unicoi Gap to Winding Stair Gap, and it was perfect. I would have been cold had I used a 30 degree bag. If its too warm, you can always use it quilt style and ventilate occasionally.

Images

Lately, we have no idea what to expect. For the past two years, I have had the windows open in my house at 2000' between Christmas and New Years.

It could be in the 50', it could snow. However, I use a 20 degree bag in Smokies for the most of the year (with an external shell in the winter)

The one exception is Mt LeConte. No matter when I am up there, it is about 10 degrees colder than anything I expected.
    The most beautiful of vistas are only seen after a long uphill climb.

I used a 20 degree bag with a bivy cover in Jan 08 on a section hike from Davenport Gap to Fontana. Coldest night was 0 degrees. I was able to sleep all five with no problems nights by wearing an extra layer of fleece.

I lied about no problems with sleeping during my hike. I had to deal with some serious condensation that was created by my bivy, but other than that I had no problems

Default 20 degree bag

I use a 20 degree bag for 3 seasons and a zero bag during the winter here in the mountains. You will be fine using a 20 degree bag in the Smokies.
    If we look at the path, we do not see the sky. We are earth people on a spiritual journey to the stars. Our quest, our earth walk is to look within, to know who we are, to see that we are connected to all things, that there is no separation, only in the mind.
    - Native American, source unknown

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Chip View Post
    I use a 20 degree bag for 3 seasons and a zero bag during the winter here in the mountains. You will be fine using a 20 degree bag in the Smokies.
    Ditto.......
    If not NOW, then WHEN?

ME>GA 2006
    http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?trailname=3277

Instagram hiking photos: five.leafed.clover

++ New Posts ++