WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

In 2000 Nimblewill Nomad and I had a discussion in the USFS42 parking lot with a shuttle provider. Any commercial service in that area needs a permit or they get heavily fined. I had a similar talk with a SNP provider out of Front Royal a couple of years ago and found they are regulated as well. I have used shuttles a few times and had no complaints about their fees or their service, which I greatly appreciated.

The problem isn't overcharging, it is cheap hikers who feel that everyone should treat them special because they're hiking the A.T.

Survivor Dave's Trail Shuttles-www.atsurvivordave.com
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by The Old Fhart View Post
    In 2000 Nimblewill Nomad and I had a discussion in the USFS42 parking lot with a shuttle provider. Any commercial service in that area needs a permit or they get heavily fined. I had a similar talk with a SNP provider out of Front Royal a couple of years ago and found they are regulated as well. I have used shuttles a few times and had no complaints about their fees or their service, which I greatly appreciated.

The problem isn't overcharging, it is cheap hikers who feel that everyone should treat them special because they're hiking the A.T.
    I agree as well. To have the permit, at least in Ga., it costs a few hundred dollars EACH year. In order to acquire the permit, you have to maintain(or increase) you policy to 1 million dollars as well. Going up and down forest service roads for months at a time beats the hell out of any vehicle. They need to be maintained as well.

I find it funny that someone will spend the mucho dollar for the latest and greatest gear, but when it's time to go play, they nickel and dime you down. Hmmm....I think Rachel Ray is accused of that. A bad tipper.

Your right Phart, there are those hikers that might consider themselves "above".

SD
    Georgia Shuttling Website www.atsurvivordave.com

If the route is that popular, maybe they should build a walking trail.

Quote Originally Posted by Survivor Dave View Post
    I agree as well. To have the permit, at least in Ga., it costs a few hundred dollars EACH year. In order to acquire the permit, you have to maintain(or increase) you policy to 1 million dollars as well. Going up and down forest service roads for months at a time beats the hell out of any vehicle. They need to be maintained as well.

I find it funny that someone will spend the mucho dollar for the latest and greatest gear, but when it's time to go play, they nickel and dime you down. Hmmm....I think Rachel Ray is accused of that. A bad tipper.

Your right Phart, there are those hikers that might consider themselves "above".

SD
    works both ways. a business/shuttle provider here in town pulled a beaut here recently. a hiker reserved a shuttle to dennis cove. bob peoples of kincora was here dropping off a hiker. the one that reserved a shuttle overheard that bob was going back there. bob offered to take him. no charge of course, going there anyway. the hiker accepted. the business/shuttler was peaved wanting the fee. not cool. i've helped lots of hikers for free cuz i was going to a certain destination

Journal Entries
    Images

****, next thing you know some of you will be complaining about the price of The North Face jackets.

$2 Bucks a mile for seems a fair fare, though.

Quote Originally Posted by rickb View Post
    ****, next thing you know some of you will be complaining about the price of The North Face jackets.

$2 Bucks a mile for seems a fair fare, though.
    i disagree.

Survivor Dave's Trail Shuttles-www.atsurvivordave.com
    Images

Yeah, I've done a few "going that ways" myself helping out. It would however piss me off if someone arranged a shuttle with someone that drove a long distance to acommodate, only to get burned and have to swallow that cost.

Yes, it is a two way thing. Reminds me of a pizza delivery story. I remember when folks used to(and still do) call a few pizza places, and whoever showed up first got paid. Same difference with the shuttler.

SD

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf View Post
    works both ways. a business/shuttle provider here in town pulled a beaut here recently. a hiker reserved a shuttle to dennis cove. bob peoples of kincora was here dropping off a hiker. the one that reserved a shuttle overheard that bob was going back there. bob offered to take him. no charge of course, going there anyway. the hiker accepted. the business/shuttler was peaved wanting the fee. not cool. i've helped lots of hikers for free cuz i was going to a certain destination
    Georgia Shuttling Website www.atsurvivordave.com

Journal Entries
    Images

i disagree.
    The Feds would give you 58.5 cents each way to cover the cost of your car. Gas is just a small part of the total cost.

Quote Originally Posted by rickb View Post
    The Feds would give you 58.5 cents each way to cover the cost of your car. Gas is just a small part of the total cost.
    i ain't a businessman. i like to help out contrary to what the ******** who hang out in the politics forum say. i'm the cheapest shuttler in damascus

Journal Entries
    Images

Nothing wrong with that.

Did the hiker leave the shuttler hanging?

No one is making you take a shuttle at gun point. Make your own arrangements if you are cheep and don’t want to pay a guy or company a fair wage. Or hike it, after all that’s what you are on the trail to do.

It’s amazes me how many people are only looking for a low price on everything they buy. Other people have just as much of a right to make a living as you do.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Walkie Talkie View Post
    A few years ago shuttles cost $1 a mile. Now everybody is at least $2 per mile. I know fuel cost have gone up, even doubled. That shouldn't make the entire price double, just the fuel cost. I need a shuttle from Standing Indian campground to Springer on the 4th. It is a 70 mile drive. Everyone want $165 or $175 for a shuttle. If a person only got 20 mpg, and I would hope they got more, it would only cost $30 for gas. So they want $30 per hour to drive in the woods for a 4 hour round trip. I have thu'd and now I want to section it again but it just cost to much for a shuttle.
    I think $150 is a fair price but it takes about 6 hours to take that round trip safely.It is 20 miles in forest service 42 and 90 miles to forest service 42,being 110 miles.Most you can't average over 45 to 50 mph max.

We could turn this into a lesson in economics
    OR a rant on gas prices
    OR a rant on insurance companies
    OR a rant on greed
    OR a rant on [fill in your favorite rant here]

OR see what's up on Cuff's blog.

Registered User Pacific Tortuga's Avatar
    Images

i'm cheap. i took a guy to pearisburg the other day. it's 106 miles. i got $100

You forgot, easy too

Default July 4th

I think you also must remember it is a holiday

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Tin Man View Post
    We could turn this into a lesson in economics
    OR a rant on gas prices
    OR a rant on insurance companies
    OR a rant on greed
    OR a rant on [fill in your favorite rant here]

OR see what's up on Cuff's blog.
    Hey! Someones reading!

Thumbs up

i'm cheap. i took a guy to pearisburg the other day. it's 106 miles. i got $100
    Pretty darn reasonable, did he get to ride inside (first class) or was he tied to the roof rack (coach) for that price?

.....link?

Images

When section hiking on a limited schedule, and having to travel hundreds of miles just to get to the trail, having a dependable shuttle ready to help you spot your vehicle is worth it, even if they do overcharge a bit. You are paying for the convenience. I would not put up with the wear and tear of mountain roads, the hours of driving, and the disruption to my personal schedule necessary to shuttle folks around for nothing.

The reason you are calling for a shuttle is for the convenience and lack of alternatives. If you can find a better alternative, by all means use it. Personally, I have usually tipped extra to the shuttle operator for good service.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++