WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Default overpriced shuttles

A few years ago shuttles cost $1 a mile. Now everybody is at least $2 per mile. I know fuel cost have gone up, even doubled. That shouldn't make the entire price double, just the fuel cost. I need a shuttle from Standing Indian campground to Springer on the 4th. It is a 70 mile drive. Everyone want $165 or $175 for a shuttle. If a person only got 20 mpg, and I would hope they got more, it would only cost $30 for gas. So they want $30 per hour to drive in the woods for a 4 hour round trip. I have thu'd and now I want to section it again but it just cost to much for a shuttle.

First off most shuttles are vans which get 12 miles to the gallon in the hills that
    amounts to $50 just for gas then there is the cost of owning & maintaining the
    van then don't forget the cost of insurance. Then since this is a business dear old
    Uncle sam gets about 25% then there is the drivers wage how much do you work for
    this is not a pleasure drive in the country for them it's a job. Try checking out what a taxi would charge you if you think that's a high price are you in for a suprise!! why
    not try hitchhiking it's free.

I am sure that the only shuttle that ever reported it to Uncle Sam was a taxi that I took from Harpers Ferry to SNP. That taxi cost me only $75 for a 70 mile shuttle. If only North GA had a taxi I wouldn't have this problem. Taxis really don't cost $2.25 per mile. Although the hitch hiking idea is a good one.

Images

Well, if it's 70 miles one way, it's 140 round trip (the shuttle driver has to go home), and unless he or she lives at Standing Indian, you can add the drive to pick you up there. Probably closer to 160-175 miles total for the driver. Plus, it's a holiday, and your driver is going to spend 4 hours driving so you can have your hike.

The shuttle is part of the cost of section hiking. I don't like it either, but I suck it up and pay it or I don't get to hike.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

Section Hiker, 1,040 + miles, donating member peter_pan's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Walkie Talkie View Post
    A few years ago shuttles cost $1 a mile. Now everybody is at least $2 per mile. I know fuel cost have gone up, even doubled. That shouldn't make the entire price double, just the fuel cost. I need a shuttle from Standing Indian campground to Springer on the 4th. It is a 70 mile drive. Everyone want $165 or $175 for a shuttle. If a person only got 20 mpg, and I would hope they got more, it would only cost $30 for gas. So they want $30 per hour to drive in the woods for a 4 hour round trip. I have thu'd and now I want to section it again but it just cost to much for a shuttle.
    Don't like the price? Have your wife shuttle you..... See what that costs...

Pan
    ounces to grams
    WWW.JACKSRBETTER.COM home of the Nest and No Sniveler underquilts and Bear Mtn Bridge Hammock

Images

The problem with too many hikers is they want premium services at bargain-basement prices.

Images

Maybe, but for the price of shuttling from Fontana Dam to Clingman's Dome, it was cheaper for my wife and me to drive two vehicles from Nashville and shuttle ourselves at both ends. There is a limit to how much you should reasonably charge, and that limit was exceeded in out case.

In some areas, you can get very reasonable rates for shuttling. In others, it borders on literal highway robbery.
    If people spent less time being offended and more time actually living, we'd all be a whole lot happier!

I'll be sucking it up again and overpaying. Either that or find a loop trail somewhere. I just think they have used high gas prices to to increase the entire cost by double not just the fuel cost. They should get a windfall tax or something. Maybe if they knew me better they would do it for the joy of my company.

So they want $30 per hour to drive in the woods for a 4 hour round trip.
    How much do you make an hour at your work?

I make $24 and use of a truck and unlimited gas at work. And I get to work at least 8 hours a day, not 4.

The shuttle sounds like a good deal to me.

Images

Maybe if they knew me better they would do it for the joy of my company.
    After hearing your whining here, I wouldnt want you in my car...
    ~If you cant do it with one bullet, dont do it at all.
    ~Well behaved women rarely make history.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Bearpaw View Post

In some areas, you can get very reasonable rates for shuttling. In others, it borders on literal highway robbery.
    It's not highway robbery when you are volunteering to pay someone for a shuttle. No one is ever forced to use a shuttle, it's a decision.

I'm fortunate my wife and friends are always willing to shuttle me when possible, and I've only had to resort to a shuttle on a few occasions. They weren't cheap, but I understand they are going out of there way to offer me a service. And I make it a point to always pay a few extra bucks regardless of the cost, just an extra token of appreciation for the person taking the time to help me out.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Cuffs View Post
    After hearing your whining here, I wouldnt want you in my car...
    ...lol...

I'm with you Phreak. I just taked to Del that shuttles Roanoke VA. area. Sounds like a great guy that is helping the trail community and making a living from it. Nothing wrong with that. Guess he has been around for a while. It is the price we pay to get to the woods.
    I have old business cards from Levy Long in Bastian Va. and Ol Shaw from Maine.

Section Hiker 500 miles smokymtnsteve's Avatar
    Images

maybe walk back to GA to dicks creek and shuttle or hitch from there?
    "I'd rather kill a man than a snake. Not because I love snakes or hate men. It is a question, rather, of proportion." Edward Abbey

Images

Talking Plumbers Too!!

It says in your profile your an Electrician. Don't get me started about over charging
    I'm so confused, I'm not sure if I lost my horse or found a rope.

There's an extraordinarily simple remedy for folks who don't wish to pay shuttle costs they think are exorbitant:

You're an a hiking trip, right?

So start walking.

Survivor Dave's Trail Shuttles-www.atsurvivordave.com
    Images

I am sure that the only shuttle that ever reported it to Uncle Sam was a taxi that I took from Harpers Ferry to SNP. That taxi cost me only $75 for a 70 mile shuttle. If only North GA had a taxi I wouldn't have this problem. Taxis really don't cost $2.25 per mile. Although the hitch hiking idea is a good one.
    I'm gonna have to correct you there WT. There are shuttle services that do take care of what they need to as far as permits, taxes, and so on. It's pretty ballsy to blanket statement them all.

As far as the shuttle, most only think of THEIR point A to point B, eventually they have to go home, huh?

I have used a couple of services from the Hiker Hostel, Joyce and Sally out of Hiawassee, and Ron Haven in Franklin. I never had a problem with any of them.

It's kind of like being a professional golfer and their caddy. The hiker is going out for pleasure as well as the golfer. The caddy and the shuttler help with this service. What makes them have any less right to charge whatever they feel fair. You can always pick another caddy, call your taxi friend, or as Jack says, you can hike.

SD
    Georgia Shuttling Website www.atsurvivordave.com

i'm cheap. i took a guy to pearisburg the other day. it's 106 miles. i got $100

I'm the man on the mountain, come on up.....
    Images

perhaps you should jsut post the shuttle cost here and ask if anyone would be willing to do it for less

I'll be sucking it up again and overpaying. Either that or find a loop trail somewhere. I just think they have used high gas prices to to increase the entire cost by double not just the fuel cost. They should get a windfall tax or something. Maybe if they knew me better they would do it for the joy of my company.
    hitchhike. screw shuttlers

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++