WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 9 of 14 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ... LastLast

The reason he had so many hits is because folks wanted to read Mathewski's crazy wit. And face it most were waiting for him to fail so they could say I told you so.

Clyde

Default Max...

Quote Originally Posted by max patch View Post
    Well MS, I normally stick up for you -- when you and Doyle post something all the haters come out in attack mode regardless of what either one of you say -- but your letter was over the top.

I agree totally with the comments Sly made; you sounded to me like one of the liberals you hate asking for a government handout.
    1) I did not ask for anything free from Knorr's. I'm looking for a place I can buy a quantity of their product, that's all. If I can get the price discounted down to the normal rate for a bulk buy, sure, that'd be great, but that's nothing they likely don't already offer anyone who buys in quantity.

2) A number of people that disliked encountering me were jerks who thought nothing of letting their dogs run loose and threaten people, continual tobacco smokestacks or pre-darkness-bedtimers confused about shelters not being motel rooms they'd paid to rent, 5-month beard-wearers convinced it was impractical to shave on the Trail seeing someone who managed it every town shower, radical misandrists unused to a world outside of family/work/media/academia (where the many people who hold them in contempt aren't forced to pretend respect), diabetes-bound junk-food eaters bothered by seeing someone silently eating healthy food in the same manner as some people who never get over 50' from a car when outdoors are offended by seeing hikers or joggers, secretive blue/yellow-blazers seeing someone older and in worse shape than them remaining a purist well into his thruhike, etc. So? Most of the time someone found something negative about my presence, it was because I was a mirror, not because I pulled anything. There were plenty of people I helped in some way during my hike to the point of their showing effusive gratitude that was never publicized.

3) Running through the stats on what a thruhike can involve was intended primarily to show that an LD thruhike is extraordinary (not so much that mine was in particular). I think that is a statement most members here can agree with.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by max patch View Post
    Well MS, I normally stick up for you -- when you and Doyle post something all the haters come out in attack mode regardless of what either one of you say -- but your letter was over the top.

I agree totally with the comments Sly made; you sounded to me like one of the liberals you hate asking for a government handout.

The comments by The Goat in explaining your following were also spot on.

And while your hike was followed by a number of people on WB, I don't think you were quite the darling of the "AT Community" (I hate that term) as a whole. Most people who met you IRL as you hiked did not make favorable comments.

Just my opinion. Remember, I'm generally one of your supporters.
    thanks, i thought so too.

MS - wasn't yring to hurt your feelings, was just trying to explain the reasons why your hike was a "fad" that you stated you didn't know.
    "The spirit of resistance to government is so valuable on certain occasions, that I wish it always to be kept alive." -TJ

Quote Originally Posted by minnesotasmith View Post
    1) I did not ask for anything free from Knorr's. I'm looking for a place I can buy a quantity of their product, that's all.
    That's all? Why didn't you just say, I'd like to buy Lipton's in bulk, rather than telling them about your last hike, the 1/4 million hit thread, Whiteblaze etc and your upcoming hike?

I wouldn't blame for asking for discounts or sponsorship but at least be honest about it.

BTW, if you asked your local grocer they'd probably be able to buy in bulk for you. I know I used to do that with produce running club events.

Default Easy, Sly...

Quote Originally Posted by Sly View Post
    That's all? Why didn't you just say, I'd like to buy Lipton's in bulk, rather than telling them about your last hike, the 1/4 million hit thread, Whiteblaze etc and your upcoming hike?
    To motivate them to do so, if they don't normally bother to do that. People like feeling part of something they consider interesting. If making money wasn't enough for them, I figured perhaps it'd help push them into being willing to sell me a bulk order.

Images

I think you may very well get a special deal. I hope you do. And good on ya for having the stones to speak up and contact them directly. So what if you were offering to be a walking billboard for their stuff? I think you should offer directly! So what if you were to tell anyone who asked how much you enjoyed their product and you benefitted from that? That doesn't say anything about you or your hike. Every single person we hear on the radio or see on tv is doing that to some extent, it's commercial but so what? You would not be selling yourself or anyone else or the trail. You would be telling people how much you enjoy knorr products and they would bet on benefitting to some tangible extent from that. It's not blowing your own horn or selling out any more than writing a book or a dissertation about your experience on the trail. To heck with what any one else thinks about it, HYOH and run your own game, and if you can do it more cheaply than Joe Shmoe, more power to you.

1) A number of people that disliked encountering me were jerks who thought nothing of letting their dogs run loose and threaten people, continual tobacco smokestacks or pre-darkness-bedtimers confused about shelters not being motel rooms they'd paid to rent, 5-month beard-wearers convinced it was impractical to shave on the Trail seeing someone who managed it every town shower, radical misandrists unused to a world outside of family/work/media/academia (where the many people who hold them in contempt aren't forced to pretend respect), diabetes-bound junk-food eaters bothered by seeing someone silently eating healthy food in the same manner as some people who never get over 50' from a car when outdoors are offended by seeing hikers or joggers, secretive blue/yellow-blazers seeing someone older and in worse shape than them remaining a purist well into his thruhike, etc.
    No, most hikers (vastly more than "a number) who met you hated you, because you are you. Believe me, I know obnoxious, because clearly I can be obnoxious. You, however, are completely unaware of just how obnoxious you are.

Actually your threads are quite entertaining, much like watching a train wreck.

Default Agreed in large measure with both points, Clyde...

Quote Originally Posted by rcli4 View Post
    The reason he had so many hits is because folks wanted to read Mathewski's crazy wit. And face it most were waiting for him to fail so they could say I told you so.

Clyde
    I haven't heard much at all about the second point this time...

Images

How much slack packing did you do on your last thru hike?

Default Something like...

Quote Originally Posted by RealityCheck View Post
    How much slack packing did you do on your last thru hike?
    A little over half of Maine, about half of Vermont (as a SOBO flipflop in the winter after NH and ME), about 3 days in NH (Mt. Mooselauke in the Whites plus mid-NH not in the Whites with my cousin), a day north of Kincora, 2 days north of Erwin, and about 4 days of Mass. (mostly when my family visited me). I might have forgotten a little of it, but that was the vast majority. I did bust a hump to white-blaze it the whole way, to be sure.

Goal next time is to do little or none of it, presuming my knees don't come close to blowing out the way they approached doing in Maine. (Southern Maine, harder than the Whites IMO, plus mid-40s is not the best combination.) My ride to Sylacauga, Alabama (the start of the Pinhoti Trail) this December found out that water is in short supply at first, and wants to bring me water at the end of the first day. (I'd still carry my full pack the whole day.) I'm undecided even on that one, wanting a purer hike this time.
    Last edited by minnesotasmith; 08-09-2008 at 13:03. Reason: remembered info

Images

I'm hoping not to slack pack myself. Though it has it's attraction.
    A little over half of Maine, about half of Vermont (as a SOBO flipflop after NH and ME), about 3 days in NH (Mt. Mooselauke in the Whites plus mid-NH not in the Whites with my cousin), around 2 days each near Kincora and Erwin, about 4 days of Mass. (mostly when my family visited me). I might have forgotten a little of it, but that was the vast majority. I did bust a hump to white-blaze it the whole way, to be sure.

Goal next time is to do little or none of it, presuming my knees don't come close to blowing out the way they approached doing in Maine. (Southern Maine, harder than the Whites IMO, plus mid-40s is not the best combination.) My ride to Sylacauga, Alabama (the start of the Pinhoti Trail) this December found out that water is in short supply at first, and wants to bring me water at the end of the first day. (I'd still carry my full pack the whole day.) I'm undecided even on that one, wanting a purer hike this time.
    You can never appreciate the shade of a tree unless you sweat in the sun.-- Author Unknown

To motivate them to do so, if they don't normally bother to do that. People like feeling part of something they consider interesting. If making money wasn't enough for them, I figured perhaps it'd help push them into being willing to sell me a bulk order.
    FFS, Knorr is a giant corporation. You wanting to buy an extra couple dozen dinners wouldn't mean squat to their bottom line, neither would the fifty of so people on WB who followed logged on a thousand times to the thread and followed it to its painful conclusion. Half of them think you're a dork and won't buy it simply because you like it. You endorsing their products is like someone with emphysema endorsing Marlboro.

You'd be better to say that you're nearly broke and need some cheap food. Maybe they'll have pity and send you a couple of coupons.

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Jay View Post
    No, most hikers (vastly more than "a number) who met you hated you, because you are you. Believe me, I know obnoxious, because clearly I can be obnoxious. You, however, are completely unaware of just how obnoxious you are.
    I particularily liked how when another WBer offered to sell my Boy Scout group their left over dehydrated food that MS jumped in to buy it out from under us.

Real class act

Default Oh...

Quote Originally Posted by OregonHiker View Post
    I particularily liked how when another WBer offered to sell my Boy Scout group their left over dehydrated food that MS jumped in to buy it out from under us.

Real class act
    Their parents are all unemployed? My family had no problem buying me my food at market rates when I was in Boy Scouts myself.

I don't see how you think I'm responsible for feeding someone else's kids. That's their parents' responsibility. "Don't birth 'em if you don't have (nongov't/nonforcible) support lined up" is my motto on that.

Do you favor an income cap or maximum age to be allowed to patronize garage sales and thrift stores? Not being wasteful of money is how we're affording this trip in the first place.
    Last edited by minnesotasmith; 08-09-2008 at 14:57. Reason: more info

Their parents are all unemployed? My family had no problem buying me my food at market rates when I was in Boy Scouts myself.

But now you beg for discounts?

Default RBoone...

Quote Originally Posted by RBoone View Post
    FFS, Knorr is a giant corporation. You wanting to buy an extra couple dozen dinners wouldn't mean squat to their bottom line, neither would the fifty of so people on WB who followed logged on a thousand times to the thread and followed it to its painful conclusion. Half of them think you're a dork and won't buy it simply because you like it. You endorsing their products is like someone with emphysema endorsing Marlboro.

You'd be better to say that you're nearly broke and need some cheap food. Maybe they'll have pity and send you a couple of coupons.

1) I was looking into buying a minimum of 250 packages. Even in the New Math, that's a bit more than the ~24 you think I'm looking into buying.

2) I've made a fair study of human nutrition. I think it's fair to say I have managed to gain an understanding of it that exceeds the bulk of the under-30s that dominate AT thruhikers. Feel free to point out posts of mine on the subject that show otherwise. Anyway, popularity doesn't relate to credibility to rational people, else Paris Hilton would advise everyone on politics...

Default No...

Quote Originally Posted by OregonHiker View Post
    But now you beg for discounts?
    I wanted the standard wholesale rate for making a wholesale-sized purchase. That's only fair.

I would imagine that your parents would have paid twice the market rate to get you to go away

ohhh... you're going to buy over 200 packages! What are they? $2 each? So to Knorr Corporation's gross profit, you're going to add over $400!!! I'm sure their CEO is already counting on that new Merecedes. Christ on a stick, get a grip.

If you lived closer, I'd sponsor a canned goods collection for you.

Page 9 of 14 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++