WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: History on AT

Default History on AT

I was just watching the History channel and was wondering if anyone had information about Revolutionary or Civil War historic events that happened in areas close (Day Hikes) to where the trail is? As I plan my thru it might be fun to schedule in some side trips.

Thanks SoonerTex

The trail passes not far from Gettysburg, PA. And there's a Revolutionary War monument in Bennington, VT. Not to mention Harpers Ferry (John Brown....)

For starters, the AT passes right through the site of the Battle of South Mountain in MD. There is a big memorial and other displays visible from the trail. The AT also passes within maybe 25 miles of Sharpsburg, MD, where the two bloody battles of Antietem occurred. And, of course the most famous Civil War battlefield of all, Gettysburg, is only about 25 miles from the AT. The best place the leave to trail to visit Gettysburg is at the US 30 crossing, near Caledonia State Park. They just opened a new Visitors Center in Gburg. It is definitely a can't miss. Lastly, Harrisburg is near the Cumberland Valley and Duncannon. No actual battles there, but they have a very good CW Museum.

I'm sure others can add to this, such as the many battlefields in Virginia. Front Royal comes to mind. I see somebody already mentioned Harpers Ferry, home of John Brown, etc.
    Early Bird 2007

Thanks. Is it a good idea from a logistics standpoint to try and visit sites along the way.I am planning on giving myself 5-6 months to complete trail. How will most places feel about a someone wondering in carrying a backpack and wearing their best attire covered in trail grime? Would most of these areas have camping spots where I could stay and clean up before visiting? SoonerTex

Quote Originally Posted by SoonerTex View Post
    Thanks. Is it a good idea from a logistics standpoint to try and visit sites along the way.I am planning on giving myself 5-6 months to complete trail. How will most places feel about a someone wondering in carrying a backpack and wearing their best attire covered in trail grime? Would most of these areas have camping spots where I could stay and clean up before visiting? SoonerTex
    Gettysburg is a ways off the trail, so presumably you'd need to take a day off to get there, visit, and get back to the trail. There are lots of towns along the way and opportunities to clean up.

Images

Read the book "The Ghost Whisperers" by 4 time thru hiker, Model T. It is all about the history that surrounds the towns along the A.T. Very good stuff about Civil War and the AT. Great Book.

I believe you can get it on Amazon or do a search on Model_T. His real name is J.R. Tate.
    "It was on the first of May, in the year 1769, that I resigned my domestic happiness for a time, and left my family and peaceable habitation on the Yadkin River, in North Carolina, to wander through the wilderness of America." - Daniel Boone

The AT is an amazing hike through history, but most things took place in the valleys. I had an uncle… he’s buried in the Confederate section of City Cemetery at Lynchburg, VA. He died while his unit was camped with the forces at Swift Run Gap, just prior to Jackson’s Valley Campaign. They were transferred there after First Manassas. My grandfather Bingaman was probably a Hessian soldier. He moved to a land grant on New River, VA (there was a Bingaman’s Ferry). He was killed in an Indian attack on his frontier homestead.

Yellow Mountain Gap sticks out in my mind for the Revolutionary War because of the marker at the blue blaze that goes to Overmountain Shelter.

Appalachian Trail, Yellow Mountain Gap. Yellow Mountain Gap is the junction of the Appalachian Trail and Historic Bright’s Trace, route used by the “Overmountain Men” to cross the mountain enroute to the Revolutionary War battle at King's Mountain, S.C. The blue-blazed side trail leads 0.2 miles to a barn which has been renovated to shelter Appalachian Trail hikers. Keep right at forks in the trail and turn right onto the gravel road which leads to the shelter.
    http://www.hmdb.org/marker.asp?marker=3269

The area around Franklin, NC has been the site of battles from pre-revolutionary times through the civil war as I recall. The area was important because of the confluence of rivers and passes. There is a nice display in downtown Franklin.

Anyone ever hear of the trail being used by slaves? As in the underground railroad? Someone tried to convince me of this once. I didn't have the heart to give him a history lesson.

Images

Default Fort Montgomery

Fort Montgomery State Historic Site, located adjacent to NY's Bear Mountain State Park, is a revolutionary war historic site. You can walk there on a hiking trail that starts in the Zoo at Bear Mntn. or you can walk up the road 9W, about a 1/4 mile north of the Bear Mntn Bridge traffic circle. See http://nysparks.state.ny.us/sites/info.asp?siteID=36 for more info.

Registered User Tennessee Viking's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

I was just watching the History channel and was wondering if anyone had information about Revolutionary or Civil War historic events that happened in areas close (Day Hikes) to where the trail is? As I plan my thru it might be fun to schedule in some side trips.

Thanks SoonerTex
    The AT is full of history itself, and off trail as well.

Smokies chaulk full of it
    Shelton Graves
    Overmountain Men crossing Yellow Mtn Gap into Roaring Creek Valley.
    Hermit Greer and Grindstaff.
    ATC museum
    ''Tennessee Viking'
    Mountains to Sea Trail Hiker & Maintainer
    Former TEHCC (AT) Maintainer

Quote Originally Posted by saimyoji View Post
    Anyone ever hear of the trail being used by slaves? As in the underground railroad? Someone tried to convince me of this once. I didn't have the heart to give him a history lesson.
    Ironmasters Mansion (Pine Grove Furnace SP, in PA) was a stop on the Underground Railroad. If you ask, they'll give you a tour of the secret rooms.

Thanks.

Any other relics of such?

Quote Originally Posted by saimyoji View Post
    Thanks.

Any other relics of such?
    I presume you know about Harpers Ferry...

Registered User Tennessee Viking's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

I was able to pick up a rail spike along Laurel Fork. Most of them have already been picked up, but a occasional one is found.
    ''Tennessee Viking'
    Mountains to Sea Trail Hiker & Maintainer
    Former TEHCC (AT) Maintainer

Minie Ball Hill is about two miles south of the AT at Wind Rock, east of Pearisburg. Not much to see there now, but apparently for years you could pick up the balls (ammo) all over the place. Union raiders came down into the area repeatedly to cut railway lines, and one pursued column dropped everything they carried in an effort to go faster. They were early ultralighters.
    Jaywalke
    SW Virginia

Images

Smile

the gaps of SNP; browns, jarman, rockfish, swift run, all of them have their own awesome historical significance. jarman gap, north of calf mountain, played a major role in westward expansion well before the civil war. originally a buffalo trail that the Powhatan & valley over the "Blew Ledge" mountains, as they recorded. the three notched/three chopt road began at the intersection of cary street/river road/ three choped road, here in richmond, va. and crossed jarmans gap.
    present day rt 250 between goochland and charlottesville, and beyond to crozet. named for the markings in the trees along this trail, three axe chops on the trunk. Peter Jefferson, Thomas' father whom worked for the state as chief mapmaker and land surveyor, was responsible for notches in a large fifty mile swath. as the main westward road as far back as the 1600s, imagine the story that the gap could tell of those who passed into uncharted land all those years ago. backpackers, just like us. hikers.

i can drop bombs of historical knowledge all over whiteblaze if you guys want to hear more about the histories of the gaps, claudius crozet's tunnel which runs beneath rockfish gap, local celebrities, civil war theater crossings, graves stones, ruins, etc. just let me know if you want to hear it guys.

Thanks to everyone. This is a big help and gives me good information to help with my thru plan. Looks like I may have to be selective or plan on a longer time on the trail. Do many that thru or section hike actually plan around outside trips or do most just go to hike the trail?

Thanks to everyone. This is a big help and gives me good information to help with my thru plan. Looks like I may have to be selective or plan on a longer time on the trail. Do many that thru or section hike actually plan around outside trips or do most just go to hike the trail?
    Depends on what kind of hurry they're in. I would say, in general, a thru-hike precludes a whole lot of side trips, just because of the limited time available to cover a rather large distance. Section hikers and those on their 2nd or subsequent thru hike may have more freedom (time and $$) for side trips.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++