Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

I have the Harrison JMT maps on my computer at home and will be back in a week. I could email them to you.

Quote Originally Posted by A-Train View Post
    Mammoth to Kearsarge would be the best (and hardest) of all of them. You will have to do several passes (shouldn't be snow).
    Silver Pass 10900' about a 1800' gain over 4 mi; Selden Pass 10900' - 1900' over 13 mi; Muir Pass 11955' - 3900' over 19 miles; Glen Pass 11978' - 2900' over 8 mi.

If youare interested in the Seid Valley to Crater Lake section of No CAL And Ore section I can shuttle you to or from either trailhead. No charge. I am in Happy Camp and either are within reach for me. PM me if interested as I don't sign on here often anymore.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Sly View Post
    Silver Pass 10900' about a 1800' gain over 4 mi; Selden Pass 10900' - 1900' over 13 mi; Muir Pass 11955' - 3900' over 19 miles; Glen Pass 11978' - 2900' over 8 mi.
    Mather and Pinchot too.
    Anything's within walking distance if you've got the time.
    GA-ME 03, LT 04/06, PCT 07'

Mather and Pinchot too.
    Yeah right, how'd I miss them?

Mather and Pinchot (both after Muir) 12100'- 3100' 10 mi, 12130'- 2100' 4.3 mi

If you got on at Red's Meadow (Mammoth Lakes) and hiked south, you could bail 110 miles later at Kearsarge Pass Trail.
    OK, this may come off as a dumb question, but here goes. Does 15 miles per day sound realistic?

There are two of us; neither of us have done any serious west-coast backpacking. Daniel is a strapping 26 year old lad, but with only a bit of hiking experience (a couple of 35-mile AT sections in southern Maine with me, years ago.)

I'm 55, 30 lbs. overweight, but was able to pull off consistent 15 mile days on the middle third of the AT last summer... with 26-28 lbs. on my back including food and water.

Somehow I can't shake the feeling that this is going to be very different from anything we've ever done on the AT.

Borderline. I did half Muir starting in Yosemite Valley after a two year absence from hiking and off the coach and managed 13 per day. The trail isn't steep, just long climbs and descents.

If you can't make it as far as Kearsarge just bail at the Piute Pass Trail or Bishop Pass. The area is just awesome and considered by many as the best backpacking in NA.

Images

Borderline. I did half Muir starting in Yosemite Valley after a two year absence from hiking and off the coach and managed 13 per day. The trail isn't steep, just long climbs and descents.

If you can't make it as far as Kearsarge just bail at the Piute Pass Trail or Bishop Pass. The area is just awesome and considered by many as the best backpacking in NA.
    15 mile days is doable, but you'll be wiped out considering the elevation. I can't stress how important it is to hike the passes in the morning when you have energy. Try to limit yourself to one per day if you can. As Sly says, they aren't difficult climbs, just long, nothing as grueling as the AT. Plus the views help

[post move here from another thread... "it" is the Rutland Long Trail Festival.]

Whatever it is, it looks interesting and timely... PCT hike was a bust, so looks like a road trip with the wife... Montreal, Ottawa, the DAKs, topped off with a music festival. Be nice to meet some WBers there.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by _terrapin_ View Post
    Whatever it is, it looks interesting and timely... PCT hike was a bust, so looks like a road trip with the wife... Montreal, Ottawa, the DAKs, topped off with a music festival. Be nice to meet some WBers there.
    Ahhh, tough year to be out West. I'm headed out to the Glacier Peak section in 10 days for a week romp in one of the most remote sections of the trail before starting school. No fires out there hopefully I won't get snowed on this time!

Ahhh, tough year to be out West. I'm headed out to the Glacier Peak section in 10 days for a week romp in one of the most remote sections of the trail before starting school. No fires out there hopefully I won't get snowed on this time!
    Isn't that section of trail closed?

Images

Isn't that section of trail closed?
    Not sure. No current trail conditions on the pcta site, and no official closings I can find. I see a report from J Ley on the re-route section, but the original PCT was open last year, so I assume it's passable (but in rough shape). I guess if I have to do the re-route I'll do it. Spectacular area. Last year I walked around and went up to Bucks Creek Pass and then down to Stehekin from near the Suiattle River.

For the record, fires and weather weren't the problem. The problem was that my nephew was having great difficulty with the altitude -- nausea, shortness of breath, dizziness. Oddly enough, I was OK with it. Nephew's born & raised in Hawaii... and hasn't spent much time more than 50 feet above sea level.

Weather in the Yosemite and JMT area was very nice. Mornings started crystal clear, though clouds would move in by mid-afternoon. We got a light, brief drizzle both evenings.

For the record, fires and weather weren't the problem. The problem was that my nephew was having great difficulty with the altitude -- nausea, shortness of breath, dizziness. Oddly enough, I was OK with it. Nephew's born & raised in Hawaii... and hasn't spent much time more than 50 feet above sea level.

Weather in the Yosemite and JMT area was very nice. Mornings started crystal clear, though clouds would move in by mid-afternoon. We got a light, brief drizzle both evenings.
    Too bad you weren't there during a full moon......an outstanding experience

Since I have the power (heh, heh), I'm going to move the PCT related post to Terrapin's PCT thread! It's good to be King! (let's hope I don't screw it up.)

Edit: Looks like I don't have the power. I can only move to forums I moderate and PCT isn't one of them. I'll see if someone else can do it.

Ottawa is nice. Low altitude there. Love the Rideu canal (sp?)

Once did a week long houseboat trip ending there.
    Stayed at the Chateau next door to Parliament. Beautiful old hotel. (Winston Churchill used to stay there whenever he was in town)

Quote Originally Posted by OregonHiker View Post
    Too bad you weren't there during a full moon......an outstanding experience
    No prob, there was a nice crescent moon from our second campsite. We talked about the challenges of photographing it. I plan to have another go at it.. some day. And not just a seven-day section, but the whole thing.

Images

Awesome, thanks terrapin. Glad you made the trip.
    That's my dog, Echo. He's a fine young dog.

Images

Sorry to hear the trip didn't work out. Definitely plan on doing the whole JMT. There are a few unpleasant inches, but not many.
    If not NOW, then WHEN?

ME>GA 2006
    http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?trailname=3277

Instagram hiking photos: five.leafed.clover

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++