Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Question Seeking hike recommendations (again)

Months ago I asked for and got recommendations for a PCT section hike to commence on August 4 of this year -- three weeks from Sunday. Based on those recommendations we made detailed plans to fly into San Francisco and hike "Section P," from Castella to Etna. But it seems California is on fire... and at best, this section will be hot and very smoky. At worst, the fires will still be burning, or new fires may have started. Not quite what we were looking for!

So here I am again -- asking the same question. Heck, it doesn't even have to be the PCT -- but it would be nice if it were a continuous trail in something that looks and feels a bit like wilderness. General considerations:

1. Roughly 100-120 mile section (7 or 8 days hiking @ 15 miles/day)
    2. Proximity (say, within 6 hours drive) from San Francisco
    3. Accessibility: need a place to stash car during the hike,
    and a way to get back to starting point
    4. Decent scenery, not too hot.
    5. Hopefully: permits, bear canisters, extreme navigation skills not needed.

JMT (or a piece of it) fails on several counts -- otherwise we'd have chosen that without much thought.

Bummer for you and me!

Not sure about southern OR but it's pretty sweet hiking. You could try north from Ashland OR.

I'm the man on the mountain, come on up.....
    Images

kings canyon is a wonderful place to consider if you havent been there....even if you have been there

not sure what the situation is there to be honest though

have a great hike

Quote Originally Posted by Freeleo View Post
    kings canyon is a wonderful place to consider if you havent been there....even if you have been there
    Yeah, no doubt a beautiful piece of trail -- except the logistics of a 7-8 day hike in that neighborhood are... danged near impossible from what I can tell. Getting on and off the trail would be the issue, it seems to me. (I wouldn't mind being wrong about that...)

Images

Are you sure it's as bad as you think it is there? I've been reading Chinaman and Rambi's journal on TJ's, and they just cleared that area with no problems. Fires didn't seem too prevalent. They mentioned snow, but that'll be gone in August.
    Anything's within walking distance if you've got the time.
    GA-ME 03, LT 04/06, PCT 07'

Quote Originally Posted by A-Train View Post
    Are you sure it's as bad as you think it is there? I've been reading Chinaman and Rambi's journal on TJ's, and they just cleared that area with no problems. Fires didn't seem too prevalent. They mentioned snow, but that'll be gone in August.
    I haven't been reading trail journals (that's a good suggestion, thanks), but I've been watching the fire maps and reports, and have been in contact with a hostel proprietor in a town just north of Etna. Plus reports from a woman I know whose husband commutes frequently to Redding, CA.

Here's a map of the fires. Here's a detailed list. (2nd link has been slow to respond lately.) There are no fires in Section P, but several fires within a few dozen miles west and south. Plus local temperatures in excess of 100 degrees F.

If you are worried about temps and smoke, think about hiking some on the California Coastal Trail. The Sierra is going to be hot during the day. That's pretty much unavoidable.
    'All my lies are always wishes" ~Jeff Tweedy~

I'm not sure how it is in section P but Disco mentioned closures and smoke up to Burney a week or so ago. I can hardly see the lake and I'm 50 feet from Lake Tahoe, and the mountains surrounding it, forgetaboutit.

Quote Originally Posted by A-Train View Post

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Sly View Post
    I'm not sure how it is in section P but Disco mentioned closures and smoke up to Burney a week or so ago. I can hardly see the lake and I'm 50 feet from Lake Tahoe, and the mountains surrounding it, forgetaboutit.
    Yah sounds like people have been forced to skip around. Bummer. It's amazing how things can change SO much on that trail from year to year. 07' was a great year, very lucky.

usually confused but never lost Fannypack's Avatar

Default Pickles' 2008PCT - July 11 entry

July 11 entry - http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?id=242579

Tomorrow we head out from Donner Pass and head 40 miles north (toward the fires) to Sierra City. Depending on whether or not the smoke become worse, less worse, or mildly bearable, we will determine whether or not we should hike an additional 40 miles to Quincy-LaPort Road, or hitch directly to Quincy where we can take a bus for $3 to Chester, 100 miles north to the other side of the fire zone. With any luck, mi mum might decide to meet us with bicycles in janky to pretty descent condition to ride from Quincy to Chester. Again, it depends on the smoke and how great of a mom I have (no hints here or anything).

Default Tarzan and Zelda's PCT2008 - July 9 entry

http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?trailname=6384
    Here we are way ahead of where we would normally be. The reason: fire closures from Sierra City to Chester on the PCT.

Images

http://www.weather.gov/aq/

Click on the state. Should give you clickable spots to regionalize.

Watch the today/+12hrs, and remember the time zone.

I have been in the smoke zone of a major wildfire, and it was unpleasant. I cannot imagine working a fireline.

The coast is pretty. Go North. Pee on a redwood.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Fannypack View Post
    http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?trailname=6384
    Here we are way ahead of where we would normally be. The reason: fire closures from Sierra City to Chester on the PCT.
    Those are hundreds of miles south of where Terrapin wanted to hike. I've heard Quincy-La port Rd to Chester is closed, and possibly now some stuff near Burney

Lost Coast Trail. Cool breezes, no smoke.
    'All my lies are always wishes" ~Jeff Tweedy~

Quote Originally Posted by mudhead View Post
    That's a great link, thanks. There's a tab on the map that shows "air quality" and may be a good indicator of where the worst smoke is. Unfortunately the cloud over northern CA seems to lay over "Section P" of the PCT -- though I can't be 100% certain of that. I also noticed some changes in the picture between yesterday and today... so I'll be watching this one. Thanks again.

Latest news, in the local papers, pretty much say the fires in NoCA are increasingly being contained. With smoke disapating you very well may be able to hike section P without problems.

Default A reply from a PCT01 friend in Mount Shasta, CA

Terrapin,

I just got an email from a friend in Mt Shasta, CA which is very near Castella via I-5 and this is what they say:
    "I know Chuck emailed you yesterday but last night more thunderstorms struck the area northwest of Weed and possibly started more fires.
    It has been really smoky here lately. I wouldn't reccommend anyone coming out this way for a hike this summer, fire danger is really high and this is thunder season.
    We are still happy in Mount Shasta and plan to stay at least through another winter but I don't see us leaving anytime soon.
    "

Since u already have your plane tics, maybe the Tahoe Rim Trail.
    This would be an easy trip from San Fran. The 150 miles maybe be too much for 1 week but u will always be close to transportation so u could cut it short.

Maybe SLY can give u some feedback on this trail including a place to leave the car... As I remember, the TRT coincides with PCT some on the west side of Lake Tahoe.

Good luck.

Fannypack -- thanks very much for the update and the suggestion. For a moment I saw a gleam of hope -- some news articles about a fresh rainfall beating down some of the fires. For one day, the smoke cloud seemed to recede.... but then it came back, bad as ever. Discouraging.

Peakbagger Extraordinaire The Solemates's Avatar

i just spent all day in Desolation Wildnerness, and would highly recommend it!
    The only thing better than mountains, is mountains where you haven't been.

amongnature.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by The Solemates View Post
    i just spent all day in Desolation Wildnerness, and would highly recommend it!
    So where is that, approximately?

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++