WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Frosty View Post
    I live in NH, same as you, and I haven't seen any less traffic running up and down I-93 or Rte 16. Highways are still full of cars, trucks, and SUVs. People are whining and complaining, but they are still driving and buying gas just like always. Anyway, I was in Quebec last week, and after a buck and a half per LITER, $4+ a gallon seems cheap to me.
    Did a "pilgrimage" to the in-laws this weekend. On the way home from Cooperstown NY to Boston, the Massachusetts Turnpike was still pretty busy, but somewhat less so than "worst case." So I wouldn't call the traffic "way down" but the decline is noticeable.

Quote Originally Posted by wilconow View Post
    As LW says, The Inn at Long Trail is NOT for sale. It's the Whistle Stop Cafe.
    I'm very glad to be wrong. The Inn has been held by one family for a very long time.

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Jay View Post
    For example, Atkins Virginia used to have two gas stations/convenient stores, now there is one. The Dairy Queen is closed and both the motel and diner appear to be barely holding on.
    Those businesses were closed well before the big run-up in gasoline prices.

I don't like the higher gas prices either but why argue or complain when this country is totally fine with buying $40 / gal. coffee from Starbucks.

geek

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Adams View Post
    I don't like the higher gas prices either but why argue or complain when this country is totally fine with buying $40 / gal. coffee from Starbucks.

geek
    i hear ya i watch folks at the local coffee shop pay $4+ for some fru-fru coffee drink and not bat an eye.

Umm..wait until you see the inflation number that comes out tomorrow before you pass judgement...this ain't going to be pretty, folks, just sayin..hopefully I'm wrong.....

Registered User Frolicking Dinosaurs's Avatar
    Images

My guess is that all touristy-type towns (several of which just happen to be on or near the AT) are experiencing less traffic as a result of the increased fuel prices. Fewer tourists means fewer tourists' dollars are coming into those areas and this may well adversely affect services in those towns (cause closures, cause lay-offs that lower service quality, cause outfitters to limit the lines they carry or the stock-on-hand due to sluggish sales, etc.)

Was in Damascus in early June and it seemed busy to me. Quite a few hikers coming and going and many bike riders on the Creeper trail. They did say that the biking numbers were down.

We stayed at Dave's Place and quite a few cars were parked there by hikers. Many form Florida, Ohio, and surrounding states.

Default It's even worst than that, LP...

Quote Originally Posted by leeki pole View Post
    Umm..wait until you see the inflation number that comes out tomorrow before you pass judgement...this ain't going to be pretty, folks, just sayin..hopefully I'm wrong.....
    The inflation stats are seriously manipulated to look far lower than they actually are (blue is actual, and orange is the official level):

If you don't understand the term "hedonic adjustment", you don't understand how official inflation rates are seriously and intentionally understated.

Example: "Hedonics adjusts the prices of goods for the increased pleasure the consumer derives from them. That new washing machine you bought did not cost you 20% more than it would have cost you last year, because you got an offsetting 20% increase in the pleasure you derive from pushing its new electronic control buttons instead of turning that old noisy dial, according to the BLS.

When gasoline rises 10 cents per gallon because of a federally mandated gasoline additive, the increased gasoline cost does not contribute to inflation. Instead, the 10 cents is eliminated from the CPI because of the offsetting hedonic thrills the consumer gets from breathing cleaner air. The same principle applies to federally mandated safety features in automobiles."

The same sort of thing is done with computers, cars, medical care, etc. Presume computers are, say, 5x as good as they were 15 years ago. If they cost 2x as much the gov't will figure that inflation went DOWN, even though going out and buying one will set someone back on average twice as much in unadjusted dollars.

audio of interview with someone who figures out the REAL inflation rate:
    http://www.financialsense.com/Expert.../Williams.html

http://www.shadowstats.com/article/53

http://www.shadowstats.com/article/56

Quote Originally Posted by kayak karl View Post
    ... ...
    That's priceless!

We're hiking the trail to get away from things like gas prices. I've got to say though, I am worried that the prices along the trail will be high when we hike in '09 b/c of fuel, etc. Right now I don't own a car - I use public transport (it's a bit easier cause I'm in school), but I would gladly buy a little more at a small trail store than at the pump.

As far as hiker traffic on the Long Trail at least, yes it is down. Just finished the section SOBO from Journey's End to Jonesville on the LT and really noticed much fewer folks out despite the stretch of good weather. From Tillotson all the way to Rte 15 in Johnson saw only one person. Even got to cross the Chin of Mansfield at 0900 and for the first time ever had the entire summit ridge to myself all the way to Taylor Lodge with the exception of the GMC caretakers in that stretch. Checking the shelter registers also revealed far fewer entries than in years past.

Default Gas prices.

It would seem to me to make perfect sense that high fuel prices would negatively affect hikers and hiking related businesses. Hiking is tourism, and tourism is dependent on discretionary income. Gas prices are only one example of the extreme rise in prices we are seeing. Health care costs,natural gas prices,food are just a few examples. That is why we are starting to hear the dreaded "stagflation" word. Low ecomomic growth accompanied by inflation. In that environment discretionary income starts to dry up. Hold on to your hats it might get pretty windy.

Default Trail towns

During my thru last year, it seemed in general that all the small towns along the way were already 'dying' economically. They seemed like they had been on the decline for years. I am sure that the current gas prices will continue to slow things down a little bit. There were a few exceptions to this, like in Damascus, Manchester Center, Hanover.

Peakbagger Extraordinaire The Solemates's Avatar

i was just in tahoe. gas was $4.89. ridiculous!
    The only thing better than mountains, is mountains where you haven't been.

amongnature.blogspot.com

No real changes in Hanover that I can see, but being a wealthier town, perhaps high gas prices don't affect a lot of folks in the area. Some good news.....it looks like The Mountain Goat (a good gear company that already has shops in Williamstown MA and Manchester Center VT) will be opening soon, which will mean that Hanover will have a reall full-service outfitter shop for the first time in years. As far as I know, the address will be 68 South Main St. downtown, with a September opening planned.

Quote Originally Posted by The Solemates View Post
    Tell me about it, I just filled my buddies truck, but I found a place for $4.59. Near Reno it's only $4.09.

Section Hiker 500 miles smokymtnsteve's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by The Solemates View Post

yea, that's still pretty cheap!
    "I'd rather kill a man than a snake. Not because I love snakes or hate men. It is a question, rather, of proportion." Edward Abbey

On the positive side high prices at the pump seem to be saving lives. Anyone happy about that? http://gmy.news.yahoo.com/v/8972491

I didn't think so

Default Only on the road, JG...

Quote Originally Posted by john gault View Post
    On the positive side high prices at the pump seem to be saving lives. Anyone happy about that? http://gmy.news.yahoo.com/v/8972491

I didn't think so
    Higher prices for energy and petroleum products are impoverishing people, and income is a fair indicator of expected longevity. (Better food, lower stress in general, better and easier access to medical care, live in safer neighborhoods, easier to afford means of self-defense, etc.) I think it's safe to say that the rise in oil prices is generally lowering life expectancies, including in Trail towns.

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by minnesotasmith View Post
    Higher prices for energy and petroleum products are impoverishing people, and income is a fair indicator of expected longevity. (Better food, lower stress in general, better and easier access to medical care, live in safer neighborhoods, easier to afford means of self-defense, etc.) I think it's safe to say that the rise in oil prices is generally lowering life expectancies, including in Trail towns.
    I will second that idea. Ole MS is probably pretty close to right on that.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++