WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Thread: no pad or bag?

Default no pad or bag?

What night time temps would you say it has to be when no pad or bag is needed at night inside your hammock? What temps do you start to need an underquilt?

Images

anything over 50 i will sleep in just my silk sleeping bag liner. Anything between 50 and 20 ill be in my sleeping bad and anything under 20 i wont be in a hammock.
    A-Town

"All that is gold does not glitter,
    Not all those who wander are lost;
    The old that is strong does not wither,
    Deep roots are not reached by the frost. "
    -- JRR Tolkien

Springer-->Stony Brook Road VT MedicineMan's Avatar
    Images

Default bodies are different but for what its worth

60 and up just the hammock and a silk liner/thin blanket
    50-60 the above with a taco underneath with extraneous insulation
    40-50 a taco with definite insulation such as a cut to form thinsulate poncho liner, maybe a thicker blanket
    30-40 taco with down quilt, arc alpinist on top
    20-30 pod and hamock, in my case a WM Ponderosa/Crazy Creek Crib, balaclava maybe
    10-20 the above with a close cell foam pad in the hammock, possibly a WM Flight on the torso, def. a balaclava on
    0-10 the above with addition of down pants and yet another close cell pad
    <0 none of the above, would go to ground with the foam pads and the tarp above me

I've spent much time weighing all options I have and ultimately compared the weight of comfort and the no stiff back in the morning aspect...hammocking is the way, 100 million s. americans cant be wrong!

GAME 2000
    Images

At night when I am sleeping, I need something when the temperature gets below about 70 degrees. For a nap, I am fine at 60 degrees and sometimes even to 50 degrees wearing my normal daytime clothing.

Youngblood

Default Sub-freezing in a Hennessey with no bag...

Lot's of personal firsts recently...first day as a forum member and first post, first solo backpack two weekends ago (and my first time in the Rattlesnake Wilderness), first attempt at ultralight b'packing (failed miserably but will get better), and first night in my Hennessey.

Here in the Northern Rockies it can drop to freezing anytime during the summer and I wanted to be able to handle temps to 20 last week. My plan was to leave the sleeping bag at home and instead sleep dressed in the cold/foul weather clothes that I always carry. I added down booties at a cost of 8oz and brought a North Face Nuptse down jacket in place of a Campmor fleece pullover for 10oz more than the pullover. The rest of the normally carried coldweather clothing replacing my bag was a set of polypro underware(12oz), World Famous fleece pants (13oz), a Stephenson's No Sweat vapor barrier shirt(7oz), REI fleece liner gloves, a fleece balaclava AND a fleece ear band, and Polartec 100 socks(8oz for the last four pieces). And I used the great Oware evasote pad(7oz) and a 13oz Campmor fleece throw.

Temp dropped below 30 but I didn't get a reading during the coldest part of the night/early morning...probably got down to 28, maybe lower (had record high temps that Sunday-Tuesday so it didn't go too far). And the system worked great except... I had uncomfortably cold toes, even with the booties. I'd wake up, eat something, the toes would warm up, and I'd go back to sleep. The toes would get cold again and the process would start over. Two issues might have made for the cold toes; 1) it's possible I wore too much on the feet and they got sweaty and, 2) my feet may have been elevated from a less-than-perfect setup of the hammock making it harder to keep the blood flowing to 'em.

Anyhow, once I cure the cold toes it looks like the system above will do me good to 25, maybe lower. For the summer I'll probably find some lighter pants, drop the vapor barrier shirt, and I'll return to the fleece pullover. And I might dump the throw, otherwise there won't be any changes.

I liked putting my cold weather clothes to dual use and it was nicely convenient to have the booties already on for potty breaks. And there was none of that early-morning-chill dressing upon getting up -- I was already 'dressed' and I just waited until things warmed up some before I changed.

Man -- that's some good sleeping in the Hennessey -- I got up almost two hours later than planned!

++ New Posts ++