WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Thread: Need Advice

Images

Default Need Advice

My brother and I have hiked from the south end of the AT to Clingman's Dome. We did it over a number of years, just hiking a week every year. We haven't hiked in two years and would like to do another part of the AT, but we're not in as good of shape as we usually are before venturing out on our hike. So does anyone have any advice on the easiest part of the AT? We'll go anywhere since we're coming from the midwest it doesn't matter which section. Thanks in advance - I really appreciate it.

Corvis

Images

shenandoah natl. park?

Images

Quote Originally Posted by DAKS View Post
    shenandoah natl. park?
    A very good option. Relatively easy shuttle (right down Skyline Drive). Not pancake flat, but not terribly steep or with lots of climbing. Easy access to resupply at the many camp stores and waysides, so you can keep your food bags light.

My wife, who likes mellow backpacking, wants to do it next summer.
    If people spent less time being offended and more time actually living, we'd all be a whole lot happier!

I'll put in a vote for Shenandoah National Park, or Maryland or Pennsylvania. (In order of best scenery..)

Images

Default Grayson Highlands State Park in Va to Damascus

About a 30 mile stretch from Grayson Highlands State Park in SW VA to Damascus, VA. Great vistas and panoramas. There is also a hostel in Damascus. Great trail town.
    Take care!

Takoda

Section Hiker Shot Gun from GA to NH Deerleg's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by _terrapin_ View Post
    I'll put in a vote for Shenandoah National Park, or Maryland or Pennsylvania. (In order of best scenery..)
    If you like civil war history Maryland is great. If it were me I would pick any section you think would be interesting and just do less miles. Takoda's suggestion is good too. If you plan on hiking this summer while the weather is still hot the higher elevation of the highlands will be nicer than what will probably be a hot hike in SNP, PA or Maryland.
    Kevin

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

Shenandoah is a good choice.

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

Quote Originally Posted by Deerleg View Post
    If you like civil war history Maryland is great. If it were me I would pick any section you think would be interesting and just do less miles. Takoda's suggestion is good too. If you plan on hiking this summer while the weather is still hot the higher elevation of the highlands will be nicer than what will probably be a hot hike in SNP, PA or Maryland.
    That could well be -- but it's been many years since I hiked south of Pearisburg, so I leave it to others to comment on the southern third of the trail.

(Except for certain parts of that hike that I remember as if it were yesterday...)

We hiked Southbound from Atkins to Damsacus (75 Miles)and it seemd to have some level and gradual climbing. We did it in 5 days but you could make it six days the Grayson Highlands are great.

The internet is calling and I must go. buff_jeff's Avatar

I've found that easy is almost impossible to define. I can be in a beautiful, yet rugged section of trail and not even notice the climbs, rocks, etc. I can be in Pennsylvania on an easy section and notice everything because it's mentally demanding with nothing to take your mind off things. I'd go for a nice section, don't worry about the difficulty.

Registered User Tennessee Viking's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Corvis View Post
    My brother and I have hiked from the south end of the AT to Clingman's Dome. We did it over a number of years, just hiking a week every year. We haven't hiked in two years and would like to do another part of the AT, but we're not in as good of shape as we usually are before venturing out on our hike. So does anyone have any advice on the easiest part of the AT? We'll go anywhere since we're coming from the midwest it doesn't matter which section. Thanks in advance - I really appreciate it.
    I would suggest something with a lot of ridge walking or mostly downhill.

Shenandoah, the trek into Damascus from Iron and Holston. Nothing with lots of rock walking.
    ''Tennessee Viking'
    Mountains to Sea Trail Hiker & Maintainer
    Former TEHCC (AT) Maintainer

Default another Iowan

Hope you weren't affected to bad by the floods. My old hometown of Cedar Rapids got pummeled. SNP is an excellent choice.
    "you ain't settin your sights to high son, but if you want to follow in my tracks I'll help ya up the trail some."

Rooster Cogburn.

Images

Even as out of shape, I still love/loved backpacking in the Whites-incredible views when it wasn't raining. But that's home territory for me. (We did about 6 miles a day or so-which may seem ridiculous, but that's the way it is.)
    I'd just go for something that you want to hike and cut down the mileage per day or something.

PCT, Sheltowee, Pinhoti, LT , BMT, AT, SHT, CDT, TRT 10-K's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Plodderman View Post
    We hiked Southbound from Atkins to Damsacus (75 Miles)and it seemd to have some level and gradual climbing. We did it in 5 days but you could make it six days the Grayson Highlands are great.

I'd have to agree with this. Atkins to Damascus is not a difficult hike and the hike through Grayson Highlands is a treat.

I've hiked from Springer to Pearisburg so my experience is limited to the southern third of the trail but for scenary my vote goes to anywhere between Davenport Gap and Erwin. I love that section.

++ New Posts ++