WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Sherman Brook Campsite

OK, one more tonight. Sherman Brook campsite is a group of 3 tent platforms and privy (as well as some other on-the-ground tenting areas) about 2 miles north of Rt 2. It is the northernmost overnight area in Mass, about 4 miles from the VT border.

Water can be found in Sherman Brook or at Pete's spring, which is at the junction of the AT and the campsite's blue blazed access trail.

This is a nice, open area with tall white oaks and an open understory. The tent platforms are well seperated from each other. It is rarely crowded. I have spent more nights alone here than any other overnight site in Mass (no comments about my social life please).

Several Barred Owls live in the area and often offer up an evening serenade. I even saw a hummingbird drinking sap from woodpecker holes in a tree next to the tent platform.

Privy was moved in June of '03.

Cosmo

I read there was a fire in this area a year or so ago? Anyone know if this site is usable? I'm a hammocker mostly now, so bonus points if there is any info on how suitable the site is for that. Thanks!

Sent from my ASUS_I006D using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Just Tom View Post
    I read there was a fire in this area a year or so ago? Anyone know if this site is usable? I'm a hammocker mostly now, so bonus points if there is any info on how suitable the site is for that. Thanks!

FarOut (Guthooks) comments from last Fall don't mention any issues.
    “The man who goes alone can start today; but he who travels with another must wait until that other is ready...”~Henry David Thoreau

http://lesstraveledby.net
    YouTube Channel
    Trailspace Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by LoneStranger View Post
    FarOut (Guthooks) comments from last Fall don't mention any issues.
    We down by one tent platform. Otherwise, things are normal there. No sign of the fire unless you look for them.

Cosmo

Quote Originally Posted by Cosmo View Post
    We down by one tent platform. Otherwise, things are normal there. No sign of the fire unless you look for them.

Cosmo

Cool, thanks for verifying that the camp is viable. Sort of hoping to camp there after finishing the LT next month so I'm close to my pick up point the next day.
    “The man who goes alone can start today; but he who travels with another must wait until that other is ready...”~Henry David Thoreau

http://lesstraveledby.net
    YouTube Channel
    Trailspace Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by Cosmo View Post
    Sherman Brook campsite is a group of 3 tent platforms and privy (as well as some other on-the-ground tenting areas) about 2 miles north of Rt 2. It is the northernmost overnight area in Mass, about 4 miles from the VT border.
    Cosmo
    Just to check - from the data book (this one is old, but newer than your original post) it shows this site about 2 miles from MA 2 (1.8 to be exact) as you suggest, but only 2.3 miles from the VT line rather than 4 - making a total of about 4.1 miles between Rt. 2 and the border versus 6(ish).

Thanks for the info, glad to hear everything is generally good there!

++ New Posts ++