WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Thread: Jarrard Gap

Default Jarrard Gap

Does anyone know if there is a place to camp at Jarrard Gap?
    Thanks

sure. there 's always a place to throw up a tent. there's supposed to be water .3 west of the gap

Images

Jarred gap is where I saw my first bear! Probably 1/2 mile SOBO is a great spot near the creek. Also, at Jarred, there's a lake .3 west, as Lone Wolf pointed out.

DoughNut

Quote Originally Posted by Doughnut View Post
    Jarred gap is where I saw my first bear! Probably 1/2 mile SOBO is a great spot near the creek. Also, at Jarred, there's a lake .3 west, as Lone Wolf pointed out.

DoughNut
    actually the lake is a mile or more away

Images

Like LW said, there is camping at the gap and a stream is 0.3 mi away.

Lake Winfield Scott, a developed National Forestry Service campground is ~1.0 mi away. It has bathrooms, showers, a beach, picnic areas, camping with rings, pads, tables, & lantern poles. It is a fee area. I believe it is open year round.

Egads
    The trail was here before we arrived, and it will still be here when we are gone...enjoy it now, and preserve it for others that come after us

Yes, there is a big area, I camped there this spring

Images

From the Chattahoochee Forest Service web site, for the campground at Lake Winfield Scott. Don't Know why a hiker would want to go there.

Site Amenities: Loop through recreation area is paved. Five pull-through sites and two double sites are available. Each campsite is equipped with tent pad, grill, lantern post and picnic table. Drinking water, restrooms and hot showers are available during open season. The area has a few campsites that are accessible to disabled visitors, and has an accessible fishing deck. Restrooms are not yet specifically designed to be accessible to people with disabilities.
    Requirements: The camping area is open from late April until late October. Fees are required. During winter months, drinking water is not available and the restroom is a privy.

Images

Lone wolf is correct, of course, funny how time makes the distances seem shorter.

The camp I am referring to is 2.5 miles SOBO, at Miller's gap. The lake is a mile west, I didn't realize it was that far.

DoughNut

Quote Originally Posted by jessebrent View Post
    Don't Know why a hiker would want to go there.
    Thats one of my favorite day hikes.

Park at the lake, blue blaze to the AT, hike north, snack at Woods Hole, optional side trip to Blood Mtn and back, blue blaze back to the lake, swim (lake has a swimming area and beach) change into dry clothes for the drive home.

Images

Its a great place. I stayed there once, took my boat and fished. I was thinking more in terms of someone hiking the AT, going there to either camp or shower.

Quote Originally Posted by jessebrent View Post
    Its a great place. I stayed there once, took my boat and fished. I was thinking more in terms of someone hiking the AT, going there to either camp or shower.
    I agree, that wouldn't be worth the mile down and then back up.

Thanks to all for the quick response. I have also found some photos on Whiteblaze that have a good view of just how much room there is to camp. I will be using it as a stopover. Trying to stay away from parking lots and roads!
    Glenda

Images

I have never been through there when the wind wasn't blowin. Might make for a good summer campsite. Anyone else notice that. I camped there with my son a few Christmas breaks back and he about dove into his sleeping bag as soon as the tent was up.
    nous défions

It's gonna be ok.

Ditch Medicine: wash your hands and keep your booger-pickers off your face!

you can camp at Jarrard gap. nice opening. lake winfield scott is a mile away down a nice forest road.

[QUOTE=jessebrent;670390] Don't Know why a hiker would want to go there.

QUOTE]

On Ed Garvey's 1070 thru-hike he hiked down to Lake Winifield Scott from Jarrard Gap and spent the night on the floor of a picnic pavilion, cooking his supper in the fireplace. He doesn't mention in his book why he chose to do this.

i can see why. it is a cozy place. guess you gotta be a local... 20 minute drive to winfield. i do it often.

Images

Yup, I walked through last night. There's a big campsite right at the intersection of the jarrard gap trail and the AT. Big enough for 4 or 5 tents. There's water about a third of a mile down Jarrard gap trail and Lake winfield scott is very nice for swimming, with a raft and all. purists will poopooh it, but it's a great spot and a very nice 6 mi loop from the lake up slaughter creek down the AT for a few miles then down jarrard gap

Images

Just be careful where you put your tent. The "apparently inactive road" that crosses the trail at Jarrard Gap is really an actively used road. The owners of an inholding use the road to access their property. It is gated down near Lake Winfield Scott and the NFS and the inholding owners have keys. In the past, the GATC has used the road for maintenance access, but no longer use it.

I've seen tents set up ON the road before and suggested that they might want to move 20 or 30 feet to one side, just in case
    A bad day on the trail beats a good day most anywhere else.

++ New Posts ++